The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Question about showing a horse with co-owners

I have two customers that are wanting to co-own a horse for their girls. They are looking at a very nice little talented Morgan mare.

I know that at the smaller, fun type schooling shows you can have multiple people show a horse over fences, but at the bigger shows is that possible? We have not shown anything on the hunter/jumper circuit before but if they wanted to try their hand at a bigger show is it doable?

Both girls already own and show their own Morgans at the National level, but they also want to go in and do some jumping as well and I thought I would come here to ask.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Most hunter/jumper circuits only allow the horse to show in the division once. For example, if they wanted to ride in the childrens hunter, they could not share the horse.

If the kids were at different levels (meaning one shows in the 3' childrens and the other shows in the 2'6 pre-childrens) that MAY be acceptable depending on the show rules.

Quote Originally Posted by SquishTheBunny View Post
    Most hunter/jumper circuits only allow the horse to show in the division once. For example, if they wanted to ride in the childrens hunter, they could not share the horse.
    Or they could each do half the jump classes in the hunter division. And take turns doing the under saddle class. Or one kid could show in the hunter classes, and the other kid in the equitation classes. Or whatever.

It sounds to me like a situation fraught with bad possibilities, but not because of the horse show rules.

3 members found this post helpful.

If they were at the same level, it's likely that the horse could go in two divisions at the same height ..ie modified children's at 2'6" and low hunters at 2'6" but one is likely to be an open division with pros and amateurs and it will depend on the rules of each of the divisions at each show

If you are talking 2'6" or 3' and each doing a different division? Thats sounding like too much for the horse if you want it to last all year. If it's 2'3" and 2' at the locals, should not be a problem.

There is no national standard for open shows below 3' anyway so you would need to check the rules for eligibility in all those little jump divisions, they vary greatly by area. They vary in name as well as eligibility so check you local association rules. The AA rateds may offer some of these classes but they are run under the local association standards, not USEF/USHJA. No national points either.

Ummmm...I should think co owners splitting everything is going to quickly become a can of worms. Give some though to what happens of one backs out and the other cannot pay more then 50%...all it takes in one fall or bad scare and some kids are done. Speaking from experience, you come off alot more jumping then you do in other disciplines. Shows cost more then breed shows as well-alot more.

Good luck with that.
    Last edited by findeight; Jan. 21, 2013 at 03:16 PM.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

It's certainly not your business if they decide to do a co-ownership thing. I might suggest, at least the first few times out, that one girl show and the other come along as a groom/helper/cheer section and they can switch roles at the following show. Regardless of show rules, it just seems like one way to keep some sanity.

I am sure the others who brought it up have seen these things go very badly as often as I have. So it is legitimate to bring it up...there is a reason such arrangements are pretty rare in the H/J world.

Mostly one party buys it and half leases to the other, that way there is a sort of "majority owner" for decision making as well as ultimately responsible for all financial obligations. Those who do co own do so as a partnership or LLC with appropriate contracts.

It would be the OPs business to make sure they get paid from both sides, even if the girls stop speaking to each other or one bails entirely.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.