The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Thumbs down Horses Starving in LA - Cover Up by LE - Busted By Rescue And State Police

The initial media story:

http://www.ktbs.com/news/Neglected-H...p/-/index.html

Remember Me Rescue rented a helicopter to get a look at what was really going on and shared their findings with the State Police.
    They in turn did their own fly over and are now involved in this case.

I so hate the good ole boy mentality by law enforcement and other local agencies when it comes to animal abuse.

Here are the pix Remember Me Rescue presented to the State Police:

https://www.facebook.com/REMEMBERMERESCUE/photos_stream

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

1 members found this post helpful.

Louisiana Horse Rescue has taken in 47 of the TB's from this farm so far.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fL7WN...layer_embedded

Their FB page:

http://www.facebook.com/LHRA1

Heartbreaking story and amazing video. Thanks to caring organizations like these, there is some hope for these horses.

Default Over a year

The sad thing is that horses have been in bad shape on this farm for over a year, and the sheriff would not do anything about it. Also, whoever is running the farm (supposedly it's the son of the owner who is now in poor health), has absolutely absolutely refused until very recently to surrender any horses. If a rescue organization is offering to take horses off your hand, horses which you either cannot or do not want to feed, then for f*ck's sake, turn them over. Don't allow them to just keep starving to death. I'm afraid to think how many horses died in the last year while authorities turned a blind eye.

4 members found this post helpful.

I'm speechless.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

This is just criminal
    where am I, what day is it, am I still having a good time?

I believe the son should have some of those pictures added to his Facebook page so his friends can weigh in on what kind of person he is. Absolutely disgusting that LE tried to ignore this... Hope the media helps out on this one.

3 members found this post helpful.

There a link to this thread over on the SHB forum -- In the 209 page thread (over 600,000 views) about horse neglect at Jill Burnells' Gray Fox Farm in Marin Country, Ca.

Both cases are heartbreaking. The Jill Burnell case perhaps more so since she has been breeding, buying and selling horses in the hunter breeding world (often to COTH'ers) for years. No one wanted to believe stories of neglect on her farm, but the manure has finally hit the fan and she has had several horses with body scores of 2 taken away (including Aloha, one of her stallions who was in a fight with another stallion and had very serious injuries which had not been attended to). Evidently the rest of the horses on her farm have body scores of only 3, but that is not sufficient to allow the Marin Humane Society to take them

Neglect happens everywhere. But it is especially disheartening when it hits so close to home.
    "I used to have money, now I have horses."

How horrible, horrible! So very sad. That god for the people who did the flyover.

I don't know WTF is going on in LA., but a "racing friend" and I used to joke that every one in La., who had even one TB mare also had their own stallion. I doubt if that is not too far from the truth.

I boarded a mare on lay up for a couple of months, and then the owner called to say he'd sold her as a broodmare and ask if I would deliver her. When I talked to the new owner (he's in TX) I ask who he was going to breed to, and he said, "oh, I have my own stallion in La." Maybe I should go check on her
    "Everyone will start to cheer, when you put on your sailin shoes"-Lowell George

What's the status on Tuco?

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Helpus View Post
    No one wanted to believe stories of neglect on her farm, but the manure has finally hit the fan and she has had several horses with body scores of 2 taken away (including Aloha, one of her stallions who was in a fight with another stallion and had very serious injuries which had not been attended to).
    Hum, where did you see that Aloha was taken away with a body score of 2? Yes, he got into a fight with another stallion, Romantic Star, and this is the stallion who was seized because of his non treated injuries. His BCS has never been confirmed.
    Aloha and RW were apparently moved off the farm to keep them off the mud (hum, hum, hum). Where are they hiding?

If the names of the law enforcement personnel who explicitly refused to act were posted, that would be a good thing. (if the poster has direct knowledge of the interaction, it is not actionable as libel).

Out the bad actors, especially those who are supposed to be public servants and are on the public payroll. Always, early, loudly, and often. If people were convinced and aware that this kind of behavior would always come to light, maybe they would be less crooked.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

No, it's not libel to say that the sheriff knew about this for over a year. A deputy admits this in this story. Draw your own conclusions from the story as to whether the sheriff's office really gives a rat's ass about the situation.

http://www.ktbs.com/news/Neglected-H...q/-/index.html

I'd like to toss the owner and the deputy to the gators.
    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.