The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another perimeter tree thread....

I am looking for the most economical source for a large number of perimeter trees. I'm thinking of hybrid willow/ Austrees and hybrid poplars. I obviously want something non toxic. Do anyone have a recommendation for a company / website that sells in large quantities and has good quality, though small trees suitable for a visual barrier on a horse property along with a few that can become shade trees that will shade corrals or places in the pasture. I'm looking for very fast growing trees.

I wish I could convince you to go with natives. If you are in the Mid south/east http://shootingstarnursery.com/catal...ex.php?cPath=6 Shooting Star nursery is pretty good.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Where are you located? ReSomething is correct in recommending trees native to your region and climate zone -- these will give you the best results by far.

In addition, I would look for a grower/nursery as close to you as possible. You can certainly order trees from far away, but you'll have the best results with specimens grown near you.

Check your local Craigslist for wholesale nurseries that grow for landscapers -- around here, I see some great deals on basic trees and shrubs, so I'm guessing the same would be true near you.
    They're not miniatures, they're concentrates.

Born tongue-in-cheek and foot-in-mouth

I have bought trees from http://www.arborday.org/ and been happy. They don't sell BIG trees--they are young and arrive as nothing more than sticks--but mine have grown well and quickly. If you want a LOT of trees for not a lot of dollars, and you have some time to let them grow, they're a good option.

Have you checked with your local soil conservation district? Many districts have an annual (usually spring) tree sale where you can get/preorder tree species appropriated for your area. They are small transplants, often 50 or 100 to a bundle and priced very reasonably. Most are species intended for windbreaks or soil stabilization but some landscape species may be available too.

1 members found this post helpful.

I don't know if they do bulk, but their prices amazed me. Check out http://www.eburgess.com

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

Thanks everyone. To answer some questions and respond to some ideas, I will give a bit more information. We do plant native trees at places on the property. I am in the process of ordering "state trees" for certail locations, in part cottonwoods to plant along a creek to ultimately replace the non-native invasive (though very pretty to me), shorter-lived species. I will also order native trees to place along with the willows. The hybrid willows i see planted locally have done very vell and continue to do well even with their remarkable growth speed. There are a lot of choices in the hybrid willows though and it's hard to figure it out. I may end up knocking on local doors!

I was prejudiced against poplars for so long! But, I do have a use for some of the newer cultivars of hybrid poplars created for fast growing shade trees.

This is my year of tree planting if all goes according to plan. It is a hard decision on which hybrid willow though.

I have gone to the links provided, reviewed the sites, and bookmarked them.

eta - and planting smaller trees - the very small is my plan on at least many of the trees. They are easier to plant, easier to care for, and for a fast growing variety, they achieve some good size quickly.

Thank you!

My dad always said that a fast growing shade tree should be considered like an annual plant, something that you'd remove after a certain time, after it got too big or the roots got too invasive. I happen actually to like poplars and especially the mountain members of the family, the aspens and birches, but poplars just get planted in a lot of places where they are going to outgrow their space and get ignored and be a nuisance. I haven't seen an Austree but google has loads of so-so reviews, they shed, they are short lived etc.

Ideally I'd plant a fast grower alongside a slower growing tree I would want to keep, so I might stick in the poplars along with Osage oranges or Hawthornes to keep the animals back and begin to fill out by the time the poplars are way too darn tall.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Illeagnus.

Or 10' walls.

One of these two will be my next screening in my next house. We plan to move in a few years, so not putting them in now.