The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Does anyone salt the hay to encourage drinking? What is a good way to keep water sources clear of ice if you have no power?

I was given a nice blanket with the horse I got, I don't use blankets unless the temps get really low (minus numbers). Anyway this blanket has a flap that covers the top part of the tail. What is the propose of this flap? Her tail was coated with poop because she couldn't lift it properly. Ick.
    "All top hat and no canter". *Graureiter*

It's not quite as cold here as some places, but we're expecting some pretty frigid weather, too. Right now it's 12 degrees with a "feels like" temp of 2 (according to my weather app). Tonight's low is calling for 4 degrees, tomorrow's low is -3. Ew.

My horse will have two blankets on for the next few nights. He's a TB with thinner skin and not a ton of hair, so I like to bundle him up on the freezing nights!

We've seen -30 standing temps with wind chill and blowing snow adding to that which can bring it to -40 below before, on a routine basis in south central Montana. We give the horses a wind break and all the hay they can eat and they do fine.

Cold and still, they do fine. Cold and blowing snow is a lot harder on them. Cold and wet is the worst-we usually see that in the spring.

We're supposed to be in the single digits with wind factor in the negatives. All my horses look like yaks and have free access to a round bale and run-ins should they desire it. The water heaters keep the troughs warm and they all get an extra scoop of alfalfa pellets. In the morning they'll get a hot beet pulp mash to help warm their tummies and keep them hydrated. I'd blanket my TB (he is kind of a wuss in the cold), but he HATES his blankets. As soon as they go on, he starts tearing at the front with his teeth and within in a couple of hours has the entire front end shredded. It starts working it's way back to tangle up in his legs and freak his silly self out. He also likes to try to shred anyone else's blanket, the punk.

Our temps are supposed to start dropping tonight. Typical New England weather as it was quite warm for the season the last 2 days. Normal for us...we have 4 distinct seasons...sometimes all in one day!

It won't get that cold though, just cold compared to what it's been. Supposed to go from 52 with a weird warm wind (was windy as hell last 2 days) today to teens tonight and 20's tomorrow. 30 degree drop, but we've seen worse and thankfully my current two horses aren't weather-colic-guys. I went and raked the main turnout after turn in tonight so the surface was nice and smooth for when it freezes. I don;t like frozen hoof-ruts in the turnout, can't be fun to walk on.

Does anyone salt the hay to encourage drinking? What is a good way to keep water sources clear of ice if you have no power?
    You can use salt on hay to encourage drinking. However, don't over-salt or use a lot of salt to encourage drinking or you just cause dehydration.
    Easiest way I've found to salt hay is to use a small spray bottle and mist the hay so it's just a bit damp and then sprinkle some salt on it. Damp hay makes the salt stick. Horses seem to like the taste too.

You can add a toy ball to the bucket or trough, the movement helps slow down the freezing and horses tend to push on the ball if the surface is frozen and that can break up light ice.

As a safety/bonus, you can bring a couple gallons of *hot* water when you see your horse and add those to a bucket of cold water to make tepid water and offer that while you're there. You can move hot water (walking to backyard barn or driving to boarding barn) easily in washed out milk gallons. Or if you plan on doing that on a regular basis over winter, buy a 5 gallon gas can and fill that with really hot tap water before going to the barn. If using the milk gallons, after one is half full you can add a couple tbs of molasses to the jug, cover and shake to melt it and then finish filling it. The warmer temp and smell/slight taste of molasses makes most horses drain a full bucket.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by cowboymom View Post
    Cold and still, they do fine. Cold and blowing snow is a lot harder on them. Cold and wet is the worst-we usually see that in the spring.
    That is my feeling too, that some of the worst weather for the horses is actually blowing rain at 33, 35 degrees F. We get that weather all winter and spring... and worse, it usually freezes as soon as the clouds are gone. That's when I worry about blanketing. Snow (or cold air) doesn't take away their insulation the way the rain or even moist air will.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

2 members found this post helpful.

It was a Carhart day for me; that wind is awful.
    Horses however felt nice and warm - even with the wind.
    They got their run-in if they need it and I packed that full with lots of hay.

In regards to the drinking, I sprinkle electrolytes on their feed.

In the morning it's supposed to be -5 F for the wind chill factor.

Carhart is laid out in the middle of the living room and the cats have decided to curl up inside of it. That'll make it nice and toasty when I jump into that thing at 6ish in the morning.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Well, I was going to complain but now I am not. Y'all have it way worse than us. But we are about to get the coldest temps of the year so far, real feel with windchill in the teens. Not excited about this!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Tomorrow's high is 8 where I am. When I went to the barn tonight to check on my pony it was 9. Bitterly cold. Thankfully because the BO's mare is due any day now she has heat lamps running in the barn which is keeping the whole place toasty warm.
    Maggie Bright, lovingly known as Skye and deeply missed (1994 - 2013)
    The Blog

High of 32 tomorrow. Pretty sure I am going to freeze to death.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

The low tonight here in Middle TN is only supposed to be 19, so we don't have it bad at all. I brought out blankets for my two at-home horses, who are tucked into nice bedded stalls. The pony was very happy to see his blankie. The quarter horse pinned his ears back and kicked, so I guess he doesn't want a blanket tonight. He has plenty of hay, and heated water, so he should be fine.
    It's 2014. Do you know where your old horse is?

Forecast tonight is -27C (-16F) with windchill of -40. It is also snowing AGAIN. We've had over a foot of snow in the last 4 days; it just keeps coming.

I broke down and put a blanket on my mare for tonight. I didn't want to blanket at all this year because now I'll be worried that she'll get cold when I take it off... but they have lots of hay and water and shelter so I'm sure they will be ok.
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Overnight forecast here is for -40 °C (-53 °C with the windchill). For those of you working in the °F world, -40 °C = -40 °F it's where the scales meet up. Windchill temp of -53 °C = -63 °F, and the wind really isn't forecast to be that strong, just 9mph.

Brrrrrrrrr......

Tomorrow's high is 13. Put a blanket on the normally not blanketed one because he felt cold to the touch. We're sheltered from the wind pretty well here, and they have access to shelter in addition, + heated trough, round bale and twice daily hot meals of beet pulp and rice bran.

Now I, on the other hand, am freezing, because I stand there and make sure that big man doesn't bully little girl out of her beet pulp. So it's some spiced wine and a warm blanket in the house for me!

Quote Originally Posted by OneGrayPony View Post
    Put a blanket on the normally not blanketed one because he felt cold to the touch.
    It's pretty normal for them to feel cold to the touch when it's cold out. It means his coat is keeping the warm in. On my gelding, especially, the snow doesn't even melt on him -- it just builds up on his back and gives an additional layer of insulation. I know my mare isn't as weather-proof; the snow mostly melts when it falls on her (her heat is escaping).
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Yea, but I checked various places and he was cold, but the mare was warm. In addition, it was 55 yesterday. When the temps fluctuate like this I like to give him a little help. :-)

Quote Originally Posted by NorthwoodsRider View Post
    Overnight forecast here is for -40 °C (-53 °C with the windchill). For those of you working in the °F world, -40 °C = -40 °F it's where the scales meet up. Windchill temp of -53 °C = -63 °F, and the wind really isn't forecast to be that strong, just 9mph.

Brrrrrrrrr......
    Oooh boy you've got some cold temps for sure! Tomorrow is supposed to be our coldest day, highs of -25c and lows -30c. Not much wind, thankfully.
    Just checked our weather, tonights low is -36f. That's some kind of cold!
    Last edited by up-at-5; Jan. 22, 2013 at 08:43 AM.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

/grumbles again about overblanketing at the barn. BM said yesterday that she wants to double-blanket my horse in her medium weight and blanket liner for the few cold days.... cold meaning single-digits in Fahrenheit. That is really overkill since my mare runs hot, and even with a nearly nonexistent winter coat doesn't need more than the medium weight (with a neck cover if it's that cold. But this barn "doesn't do" neck covers for some stupid reason.)

I loved the system at a barn I visited recently: each blanket had a color-coded tag, and each horse had a sheet on its stall showing temperatures and the colors of the tags on the blankets to use. Obviously I've never run a barn, but why is it SO difficult to employ a system like this?
    You have to have experiences to gain experience.

Proudly owned by Mythic Feronia, 1998 Morgan mare; G-dspeed Trump & Minnie; welcome 2014 Morgan filly MtnTop FlyWithMeJosephine

What do negative temps even FEEL like? We might get into the single digits but I've never experienced negative temps.

Spacy, to be honest, once it gets down below about 10F, I don't notice much difference.

Anything 10F and above, I can typically dress for and deal with by using quality insulated boots, coveralls, scarf, hat, and appropriate gloves--well, and by moving. Shoot, I used to have to unzip my coveralls when I was doing chores because I'd get HOT.

But once you get below zero, to me it all feels the same--pretty miserable. Breathing can hurt, your eyelids get cold, and any exposed skin becomes painful pretty fast.

What's worse is the wind.

My friends in MI are all posting on FB about the -F wind chills today. Here in VA, it's 17 with a windchill of 3. Plenty cold for me thanks. I'm just thankful that the front didn't come through til last night. We were pretty cold at the inauguration yesterday. I had contemplated wearing my coveralls to THAT but thought it would not be well received. If the temps had been like this? Uh, I would've either stayed home or worn coveralls.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...