The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Yes, tonight it's supposed to be in the low 20's I think...not including wind chill, as it has been rather breezy the past few days...blech! It's like 45 right now! That's just cruel to do...and more snow!? It all just melted!
    "On the back of a horse I felt whole, complete, connected to that vital place in the center of me...and the chaos within me found balance."

Quote Originally Posted by alibi_18 View Post
    I'm in Montreal, Qu├ębec. *celcius

Today has been quite interresting.

8am : Raining, 2*

9am : Big fluffy snowflakes, 0*

10am : Ice rain, -2*

11am : Storm, lightning and thunder!, 1*

12 : Blizzard with lots of wind, -2*

1 pm : light snowing and just a tad windy, -4*

.... ETA: 2pm : Pretty sunny and not that cold! Heading out to the barn while I can!

And then by the end of the day, it says it will keep going down to - 25* tonight.

And the rest of the week will be between -18*, -22* and -14* during the days.

YaY
    So what us wimps are getting here, you'd consider a heat wave.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

1 members found this post helpful.

20's tonight and tomorrow, and single digits tomorrow night. I'm blanketing for the first time this season...Miss Mare is going to be a snug bug in a rug with lots and lots of hay. Hopefully she enjoys, but I'm thinking she'd prefer to be covered in mud and standing outside...but maybe all the hay will make up for the blanket.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Hubs & I moved from Ottawa to TX. If I never see snow again, I'll be a happy camper! Feel for the folks up there, can't imagine living in that nonsense any longer, y'all are some tough horsemen/women.
    Last edited by 2BayPonies; Jan. 20, 2013 at 03:20 PM. Reason: spelling

I just did a conversion from C to F for reference. Sorry alibi_18, your -14*C is a balmy +6.8*F. I'd be happy with that, since my tank heater cannot keep up with the sub-zero temps we have now. Have to go out and break ice every couple hours with a brand new heater! Blech!!111!

And how do people in central Canada seem to have higher temperatures than we do here in Northern WI and MN? After all it's YOUR cold air we're getting. I demand you take it back!

5 members found this post helpful.

Pretty cold here in Michigan. Broke out the heavy blankets today and the heated water buckets. Other than lots of hay and using the barn as a wind break we don't do much else...maybe shorter turn out. 12 hours seems to be more than they can stand so we'll probably cut that down to 6 hours...9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Our boys love their barn! And it's a bit warmer in there.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    I'd be happy with that, since my tank heater cannot keep up with the sub-zero temps we have now. Have to go out and break ice every couple hours with a brand new heater! Blech!!111!
    I recently got a new heater at TSC. The sinking kind.
    It's amazing. Much warmer than the floating heater.

Downside though is that by the end of one week my trough starts to turn green and I have to clean it more often.

Here in MD, its supposed to get down to the low teens and single digits at night. For The Big Horse, I'm pulling out the big guns....his 150g rug. Maybe a knit liner if its windy

And he'll be nice and toasty!
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

I mistakenly grabbed this new floater last week when my sinker stopped working. Maybe I should try 2 heaters. It's a 300 gallon aluminum tank so I'm not surprised. Even the sinkers can't keep up when it's this cold. I have a partial insulated sleeve that covers the center of the tank. We had 50 mile an hour winds yesterday and into last night.

I had to switch from the plastic because my horses are evil and like to stand in the plastic tanks cracking the bottoms. Went through 2 in one winter before I made the switch. *sigh* Who is training who here?

I had to switch from the plastic because my horses are evil and like to stand in the plastic tanks cracking the bottoms. Went through 2 in one winter before I made the switch. *sigh* Who is training who here?
    That's why my trough is on blocks, LOL.

Man, that's cold! Stay safe!

The cold air mass is done with us for a while, it seems. Today we are having the wacky weather of a low of 25F and a high of 70F. The duck pool is in the shade and still had 3 inches of ice.

I hope your kiss from the cold air is short and you get some nice days on the other side like we are now.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Now that the wind has quit things aren't so bad here. We had gusts to 90km/hr here all day. Some people here have had no power due to trees down...talk about suck if you have no power for your stock tank heaters. My horses are fine and only the 2 in the barn have blankets on since they can't move around to keep warm. I guess I must be old, cuz I don't think it's cold until it's -30C!

Looking forward to a low of 13F on Tuesday night..... That's called REAL winter.

In MN it was in the upper 30s Sat morning, by Sat night wind chill at -20

The worst part is that the melt turns to ICE. bad for horses, people, cars...

It is supposed to be super cold for the next few days, then warm up.

I am never really too worried b/c my horse is in full fluff & good health. She gets good hay & has adequate shelter. This year she is stabled at night. Very luxurious with her own heated water bucket

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

We had a huge tree come down at 4am on our power lines...no power is no water as we are on a well.....high of 15 tomorrow...yay. Although Wisconsin folks are making me feel wimpy
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by Isabeau Z Solace View Post
    Looking forward to a low of 13F on Tuesday night..... That's called REAL winter.
    as a contrast I had to turn on the fans in the stalls as it was hot here, flys are out already

And how do people in central Canada seem to have higher temperatures than we do here in Northern WI and MN? After all it's YOUR cold air we're getting. I demand you take it back!
    No, this is YOUR cold, it's funnelling in from Alaska via Yellowknife. So there!!!LOL
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

2 members found this post helpful.

Keep those ponies nice and warm tonight. I can't imagine double blanketing but sure the horses are ecstatic about it in such low temps.

Quote Originally Posted by ezduzit View Post
    Pretty cold here in Michigan. Broke out the heavy blankets today and the heated water buckets. Other than lots of hay and using the barn as a wind break we don't do much else...maybe shorter turn out. 12 hours seems to be more than they can stand so we'll probably cut that down to 6 hours...9 a.m. to 3 p.m. Our boys love their barn! And it's a bit warmer in there.
    Just heard from our younger daughter in Cadillac, their furnace died. She and her DH have a 4 YO and 18 month old and she's 7 months pg. They have a gas fireplace so they should be OK sleeping in front of it.
    I also discovered that the propane tank for my greenhouse...the one we have on auto delivery...is empty. It's not a world tragedy but I am Peeved.
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Alibi, my son and DIL live in Montreal (just had baby no. 2 on Friday) and yep, he mentioned the stupid weather today. We had this in southwestern Ontario a few hours earlier. Middle of the night, high winds, thunder, lightning and snow, mostly squalls.
    I will go and add a stable blanket under her mid-weight. My DIL is glad her mare is on stall rest right now. She is boarding her in Laval. Where are you?