The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Anyone else expecting extreme cold temps?

In my area, Eastern Ontario Ottawa Valley, we are expecting some pretty cold temperatures over the next few days. Highs of minus 25c(-13f) and lows even, well, lower. I am double blanketing my herd, making sure hay feeders are full(in case tractor wont start) and doing herd check ups frequently throughout the day, to check for frostbite. Water is full, heaters running overtime.
    I have a barn, not heated, and based on my experience, the horses do better outside where they can move around and keep the blood flowing, rather than being in a barn that is just as cold. There are shelters in the paddocks, so they can get out of the wind.
    Any more suggestions for dealing with the cold?
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

1 members found this post helpful.

I was just going to chime in with lots and lots of hay! However, it looks like you already have that covered

I'm in the south, so our version of cold is in the 20s. I don't know if my boys could handle the kind of cold that you are talking about!!!

We're looking at some chilly temps around here as well. (-9 - 15 during the next week). Yuck.

I would make sure that your water sources don't freeze. Check them often throughout the day and break ice as needed. Keep hoses in the house, if you can. Nothing worse than a frozen hose! ETA: Sounds like you have that covered!

Make sure that YOU have the proper amount of clothing on. Keep as much skin covered as possible.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

Also, I don't know if your horses wear neck covers, but I heard (and I could be wrong), that 30% of body heat is lost in the neck area.

I keep my hoses in our heated garage, so no worries there. Horses have rounds 24/7. Two horses are OTTBs with thin skin, they will have extra coverage with their blankets, the others are hardier breeds, Morgan, Paints, Connemara, all with thick winter coats. They'll get extra blanketing as well. The Florida bred OTTB is out on board, she'll have blankets of course, and she's in a log barn that really retains the heat. I'm not even thinking of myself, just worrying about the nags.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Over where it's HI in the middle and round on both ends.

Default Cold

Back in 1994 it went to -22f . Every 4 hrs I would tuck a rub rag in my horse's halter so his nostrils could defrost for a few minutes. Good luck, hope the cold leaves quickly.
    My mom didn't raise no jellybean salesman!

We aren't going to have negative digits that I know of, but definitely single. Is it wrong of me to think, Yay maybe my fatty will burn some calories?
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Cashela View Post
    We aren't going to have negative digits that I know of, but definitely single. Is it wrong of me to think, Yay maybe my fatty will burn some calories?
    Haha, I think that too, I have 3 in the "fat" paddock, they are well covered, bit still, who wants to freeze? Their ears, their noses, they must get so friggin cold!
    Two here are TB's, no way am I wasting all that grain and hay just to have them freeze it off trying to keep warm!
    ― Anna Sewell

We're only supposed to get singles overnight but I am a little worried about the pony being outside. He's fat but not really hairy and plush like the old guy, who'll be inside. LOTS of hay.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Below zero for a high for tomorrow. My Fatty-McFatterson's will only get a round bale to combat the cold. They have run ins and I've only ever blanketed a couple times in the 25+ years I've lived here. They've never had any frostbite.

In 1996 we had a genuine low of -54, not windchill mind you.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    Below zero for a high for tomorrow. My Fatty-McFatterson's will only get a round bale to combat the cold. They have run ins and I've only ever blanketed a couple times in the 25+ years I've lived here. They've never had any frostbite.

In 1996 we had a genuine low of -54, not windchill mind you.
    Yikes, that's cold! I haven't even looked at to what our wind chill might be, but I could guess: for the Ottawa Valley, highs of -25c, lows of -30, feels like....hmmm, not hell, worse than that.....
    ― Anna Sewell

Quote Originally Posted by up-at-5 View Post
    In my area, Eastern Ontario Ottawa Valley, we are expecting some pretty cold temperatures over the next few days. Highs of minus 25c(-13f) and lows even, well, lower. I am double blanketing my herd, making sure hay feeders are full(in case tractor wont start) and doing herd check ups frequently throughout the day, to check for frostbite. Water is full, heaters running overtime.
    I have a barn, not heated, and based on my experience, the horses do better outside where they can move around and keep the blood flowing, rather than being in a barn that is just as cold. There are shelters in the paddocks, so they can get out of the wind.
    Any more suggestions for dealing with the cold?
    I'm also in Ontario, and we are also supposed to be getting some serious cold. I don't blanket mine, but they are woolly beasts.

Just wondering, have you ever had a problem with frostbite before? I have not ever known that to be a problem with healthy adult horses.

Mine have a little extra hay and 24/7 unfrozen water, plus shelter. I spread their hay all over so they can trudge around in the snow and get some exercise, because I am certainly not riding when it's that cold!
    Jigga:
    Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

I've never personally had a problem with frostbite, but have seen horses who have suffered from it. I have a TB with a bald spot on his near elbow, and I do worry about that. Deep down I know the horses will be ok, but it's going to be so darned cold, I can't help but worry
    Last edited by up-at-5; Jan. 20, 2013 at 11:53 AM. Reason: stupid typos, not my grammar lol
    ― Anna Sewell

I know it's blurry but here is a picture I took of my thermometer in 1996, through the window. It went down to -60 on it's face. You can see how close the hand is to -60. I did blanket my horses for those extreme temps.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f1...07124920PM.jpg

Thank God it's only supposed to stay that cold for a few days.

I packed down the run-in with lots of extra straw, cleaned the water trough, checked that the heater is working well.

Horses have been sleeping under the stars on the cold ground for the last few nights instead of in the run-in, so I'd say they are not as much impressed with cold temps as we are.

Got a load of nice orchard hay yesterday; have alfalfa too, so I guess they are all set.

Now me? That may be a different story. Probably have to dig out the Carhart coveralls.

\"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

It's -27°C and windchill down to -42°C here and it sure ain't going to change according to the weather liars. Worse is they say more snow (close to ANOTHER foot) over the next couple of brutally cold days. Horse is in, lots of food and enough water til tomorrow. It looks like it's going to take a couple of hours tomorrow to dig to the barn since the wind leaves its offering of rock hard drifts in these temps. It sucks because we have had winter here since mid-October
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

I'm in Montreal, Québec. *celcius

Today has been quite interresting.

8am : Raining, 2*

9am : Big fluffy snowflakes, 0*

10am : Ice rain, -2*

11am : Storm, lightning and thunder!, 1*

12 : Blizzard with lots of wind, -2*

1 pm : light snowing and just a tad windy, -4*

.... ETA: 2pm : Pretty sunny and not that cold! Heading out to the barn while I can!

And then by the end of the day, it says it will keep going down to - 25* tonight.

And the rest of the week will be between -18*, -22* and -14* during the days.

YaY
    Last edited by alibi_18; Jan. 20, 2013 at 01:54 PM.

just glade we moved

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    I know it's blurry but here is a picture I took of my thermometer in 1996, through the window. It went down to -60 on it's face. You can see how close the hand is to -60. I did blanket my horses for those extreme temps.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f1...07124920PM.jpg
    OMG, that is so wrong on so many levels, it just is wrong, not allowed, OMG...
    Trainer's website - photos of my horse Airborne under About and Francesca Edwards also in media page 1

http://www.patricianorciadressage.com/

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

We've got teens today, tomorrow may hit single digits or lower w/wind chill.
    Today the sun is out and so are the horses.

They have free access to stalls if they want and I've added a bag of shavings to each for the cush factor (along with my normal pelleted bedding).
    Heated buckets in the stalls and a 50gal barrel with sinking de-icer out front are keeping them in unfrozen water.

I'm keeping my guys stoked with hay, even tossed a couple flakes onto the frozen-rock-solid ground for them to "graze".

No blankets so far this year, though I am dying to try out the new one for the big WB - he's an 84, and won't its red newness look fabulous on his 17h+ Buckskin Self?

FWIW: pony is a yak, but Big Guy - who was bred in the part of Australia with Florida temps, then lived in FL for the nxt 4 years - grew only about an inch of plush.
    Still testing warm everyplace, even his ear-tips.
    {shrugs}
    If we get precip I'll get to see how that blanket looks, otherwise they'll stay nekkid.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009