The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Hock Injection/Adequan not holding?

I recently had my horse's hocks injected, and did the loading dose of Adequan. He was like a new horse.... for about 6 weeks. Now he is getting stiff and cranky again. Has anyone NOT had success with hock injections and/or Adequan? Vet thinks that maybe I should try something else, like PentAussie or Legend.

Sophie's fetlock injection lasted less than 2 months. She is sound on Pentosan every 3-4 weeks after a loading dose
    I wasn't always a Smurf
    Penmerryl's Sophie RIDSH
    "I ain't as good as I once was but I'm as good once as I ever was"
    The ignore list is my friend. It takes 2 to argue.

Usually this means there is something else going on besides your average DJD. Have you had radiographs taken lately? How are the stifles?

1 members found this post helpful.

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

also the steroids(if used) can mask a high suspensory issue, and the effects last about 6 weeks, just a thought
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

1 members found this post helpful.

mroades
    also the steroids(if used) can mask a high suspensory issue, and the effects last about 6 weeks, just a thought

yeah, that is one thing my vet is considering. I am using surpass for a week on the front of the hocks to see if it gets better. First couple of rides the surpass, along with the warming weather (65 yesterday ), he is much happier about being ridden.

Next step is for the vet to come out to the barn and block the suspensories. Horsey gets a bit "up" at the vet and forgets about his pain. But the vet really seems to think it's arthritis. No arthritis showing on xrays though, but I guess this is normal.

Check the SI and front feet too.

IME, when hock injections don't hold its because the horse is compensating from something else.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by mroades View Post
    Exactly what happened to me. I would suggest doing blocks. We injected the hocks before discovering a high suspensory injury. Effects only lasted about 1.5 months before stiffness resumed. Polyglycan helped as well.

Yes- if you have recent x-rays of the hocks and nothing obvious shows- then it is unlikely that the hocks are the real issue.
    I'd be ultrasounding the suspensories ASAP if he blocks sound behind. If he doesn't block sound behind, I'd be looking at what could be hurting that would make the hocks sore as he compensates- and prime candidates there are back, SI, stifles and front feet.

Blocking is useful, but blocking for high suspensory can be challenging. It can be easier on all to do a quick ultrasound.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Agree with everyone else -- it can be high suspensories, or something else entirely.
    If films don't show much arthritis and injections aren't providing much relief, that suggests the problem is somewhere else.
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother