The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Frog Shedding and Keratex Hoof Gel use

I started using Keratex Hoof Gel about a week and a half ago on my OTTB's shelly, thin soled hooves in an attempt to keep him from having any more abscesses with this wet, snowy winter.

I had been using Durasole but thought Keratex Hoof Gel might be a better option for winter since it has more "waterproofing" properties. I have been applying every 2 days to his walls/soles & frog as recommended on the bottle.

Now his entire Right frog is shedding off. Should I be worried about using Keratex... ? My horse is finally fully recovered from his first winter abscess in his Left front after 5 weeks off and I really don't want to start seeing any more hoof issues.

I may just be paranoid given all the hoof issues we had to deal with last winter & spring, but I would appreciate any insight or advice on Keratex/frog shedding if you feel like sharing. Thanks!

It is normal for horses to shed their frogs twice a year, in the spring and fall, and sometimes more than that. Most of the time it goes un-noticed by horse owners until they actually start looking at their horses feet on a regular basis.

1 members found this post helpful.

I use Keratex and love it but I seem to remember from the bottle it says Not to apply it to the frog. I could be remembering it wrong I don't have the bottle in front of me.

The regular Keratex hoof hardener isn't supposed to be applied to the frog but the Gel version instructions say it is ok to use on the frog. I try not to use too much on the frog, mainly just the collateral groove area (which is where his last abscess surfaced) to make it more water resistant.

I use the gel on the frogs, and they seem fine. They still shed normally, from what I can tell.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

Last night I had my first lesson back from my horse being off (for the Left front abscess) after 5 weeks and OF COURSE he is now tender on his Right from the frog shedding.

During winter, your thoughts on a preference of Durasole versus Keratex Hoof Gel? Anyone using Hawthorne Sole Pack when needed for tender feet? Would love to hear from any farriers or those of you with similar (and hopefully mostly resolved) experiences. Tom B... ?

Thanks again!

I have had great success this year with keratex hoof hardener, and on the really bad days (no snow, but lumpy frozen ground) I will pack with Magic cushion.

I HATE using magic cushion, but I find the analgesic properties amazing.