The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Braiding for a B rated show?

Hi all, I know this has been asked, I asked it myself for a C rated show... I don't braid for C, I do braid for A... what do I do for B? This will be for a rated division, regular pony hunter. I'm leaning towards braiding, but would love to hear what people generally do.

City of delusion in the state of total denial

Depends where you are. I always braided at B shows, but in my area (MD) I was often one of only a handful. In a rated division, personally, I would braid no matter what letter the show carries.
    "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep."
    - Harry Dresden

Horse Isle 2: Legend of the Esrohs LifeCycle Breeding and competition MMORPG

We usually don't braid for Bs and Cs. That being said, it has been a long while since we've done the ponies. Because of the model classes, I might be more inclined to braid.

Yes, you should braid for any rated division.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

4 members found this post helpful.

Maybe braid the first day, and if no one else braids, don't braid day 2? We usually don't braid for B rated show.

Here, the B shows are quite competitive as far as horse quality goes...just smaller numbers. All the horses in the rated divisions are braided in the summer. The winter shows they are not.

You'll want a neat look going into the ring - always braid for hunters, regardless of what the letter or show is. Even for 4h you should braid your hunter lol.

2 members found this post helpful.

thanks guys, I don't *think* there is a conformation portion for this show. I am going to have her braided though... it's my dd's first time in the regular ponies and it's a sale pony, might as well have her look her best! Thanks for all your replies!!

A good turnout is a sign of respect for the judge, the competition & the sport.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by gmbjumper View Post
    You'll want a neat look going into the ring - always braid for hunters, regardless of what the letter or show is. Even for 4h you should braid your hunter lol.
    You would stand out if you braided your Hunter at the C shows here (and I'm in arguably the most competitive zone). People just don't do it. A neatly pulled mane is sufficient.

I just came from a C in NC and didn't see a single braided horse. Of course, I didn't see them ALL or anything going on in the pony ring.

oh yeah we definitely don't braid for C shows, and I have not seen braids at the recent ones... except Warrenton Pony Show... which we will always braid. This is a B show though, I didn't know if it was lumped with C's usually since there is not much difference. But again I think we're err on the side of caution, especially since it's a sale pony, better to look too good, than not good enough Thanks guys!

The Great White North, where we get taxed out the wazoo

I think of braiding like dressing for an event I haven't attended before- being a bit overdressed is always better than under dressed. I think it shows the judge you take the game seriously..."I came to dance Mother!"
    I'd braid for sure.
    Last edited by littlecreek; Jan. 20, 2013 at 10:52 PM. Reason: Typing on my G.D. tablet..

Yes, braid for B shows.

Quote Originally Posted by Mayaty02 View Post
    thanks guys, I don't *think* there is a conformation portion for this show. I am going to have her braided though... it's my dd's first time in the regular ponies and it's a sale pony, might as well have her look her best! Thanks for all your replies!!
    Especially with this being a sales pony, I think you are making the right call. Good luck to you at the show!
    Lorelei Welsh Ponies - Visit us on Facebook!
    Breeding show quality Welsh Ponies for hunters, dressage and driving!

I bet you could email or call someone associated with putting on the show and ask what has been the norm in years past. If even 1/3 of people braid I would since it is a sale horse. Nothing like well done braids to show off the neck in a sales photo.

It is never wrong to show respect for judge by braiding.

BRAID. No one will look at you funny for braiding when you don't have to, but you WILL get funny looks for not braiding when you should.
    Yeah, well, you know, that's just, like, your opinion, man.

I would braid for B shows. Ours are quite competitive and while many of them waive show jackets, I still prefer the look of a braided hunter! (although I don't bother braiding the tail for these shows)
    Go Ahead: This is a dare, not permission. Don't Do It!