The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default EHV-1 in New York State

Just saw this posted on Facebook by Rhinebeck Equine - for those of you who stay north and do the icicle circuit, you might want this information...

"Please be alert if your horses competed at the Gardnertown show in Newburgh, NY on Jan. 11-13. Late yesterday, the NYS Dept. of Ag. and Markets received positive EHV-1 (Equine Herpesvirus) test results on a horse that was at this show, and subsequently developed neurologic signs and a fever. The horse returned home to NJ after the show, and within a few days became dull and uncoordinated. At this time, the horse is still alive.
    Any horses that were at this show should not travel until further notice, and their contact with other horses on the property should be minimized. ALL horses on these farms should have their temperature checked twice daily for a minimum of 14 days, recorded in a log, and initialed. If T= 101.5 or higher, a veterinarian should be contacted immediately for diagnostic sampling."

1 members found this post helpful.

I saw it on Facebook as well. Scary.

Thanks for the info, Supershorty. We were supposed to show at OSF today, but cancelled because of this scare. Hopefully, this can be contained quickly!

Garderntown posted on FB that they have no temps at their barn. The horse that did have the temp is from a barn in NJ, but nothing has been released regarding what barn.

It would be helpful if they shared more information regarding division shown in, day shown, etc. That would help others to determine their risk level. Not that people that were there should be out showing until the full impact is known.

2 members found this post helpful.

I'd like to know what barn in NJ as well. We were planning to go to some shows in North Jersey in the next few weeks but this certainly gives me pause.

@Molly, I agree there should be much more information available. As I mentioned, we were supposed to show today but heard that some horses that had been at Gardnertown might be at OSF but because we couldn't get any info, decided to keep the horses home. Better to be safe than sorry.....

I think that regardless of division/day, anyone who was there should be vigilant. Assume that your horse WAS at risk and watch carefully.

Quote Originally Posted by lcw579 View Post
    I'd like to know what barn in NJ as well. We were planning to go to some shows in North Jersey in the next few weeks but this certainly gives me pause.
    Why not contact your vet and see if they have any further information that can help you with your decision. They might not be able to give you the stable name but might know it.

Just another urge for people to treat this seriously. One of my ponies had neuro EHV-1 once and while she lived, it was very close and she spent a week in intensive care in a sling.

She had been to one horse show -- first show of the year -- where we trailered in, she got off the trailer, trotted to the warmup, did her 2 courses almost back to back, just a course change in between (jumpers, so she was last horse in one class and first in the next because I had 2 horses in the division), then went back to the trailer, was loaded and went home. No other horses went on or off the farm in the preceding 4 months. She had to get it from that show but we are at a loss as to how. Eventually we and the vets believed she either got it from a horse sneezing in her vicinity at the in-gate or from invisible droplets on the water hose we used to fill up buckets.

Some people assume that because it is nasal secretion-transferred that you can protect your horses if you are careful enough -- but it is VERY hard. The disease is very transferrable to a susceptible horse. My horses had been vaccinated but as we all know, immunity is not 100%. No one else in my barn got it. Stay at home!

Had it happen to me ~16 years ago. We took a pair of driving ponies to a show at the local fairgrounds/harness track. We were there 4-5 hours and showed off the trailer with no close contact with any other horses. After a week or so 1 pony came down with a snotty nose, but my then 4 yr old TB, that had never been off the farm, but would play with the pony, came down with what we were almost positive was was Nuero EHV-1 (based on symptoms and timing, we didn't run a blood test for that specifically). He pulled through, but it was questionable for awhile.

Christa

Quote Originally Posted by Molly99 View Post
    It would be helpful if they shared more information regarding division shown in, day shown, etc. That would help others to determine their risk level. Not that people that were there should be out showing until the full impact is known.
    The horse in question was stabled, for the duration of the show, in the polo barn. Not sure of the NJ barn it was from.
    “You'll always miss 100% of the shots you don't take.” - Wayne Gretsky