The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default MD Horseworld Expo, did you go? Check out the video of Friday's Nokota demo, better

MD Horseworld Expo, did you go? Check out the video of Friday's Nokota demo, better
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=roerhjtRjTo

Friday he was just ridden in the ring, a good boy indeed. But I didn't go today and they used the hula hoops on him. I just wondered if anyone saw it? Please tell me what you thought. His name is Sir Thomas Hawke aka Popcorn.

Question

Sorry that this video didn't show him with the hula hoops being thrown on him while being ridden. But I should have looked closer because though I didn't see it through the camera lens, his rider apparently rode without reins at the end of the video. My camera card ran out of space and the announcer spoke slower than expected so it went on endlessly, or so it seemed.

They told me that Saturday he performed flawlessly with the hula hoops thrown on him while being ridden. What a trooper!

I'd like to know if anyone saw him Saturday and how you liked him in the video clip. Please share.

The horse was really well behaved and quiet!

I will admit, I totally did not get the hoola hoops... wearing them around the neck they just seemed to bounce around and most horses would have been more irritated about it. I gasped when the horse put a foot through them going over them on the ground and it flipped up and got caught around the horses leg for a stride or two... I thought sure it was going to be a huge wreck! Luckily, the horse was very chill about it, but it didn't seem very safe to me.
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

1 members found this post helpful.

I too was concerned about the risks of hula hoops and entanglement. But his owner told me that she she went to see him that they demonstrated with them while he was being ridden. This horse seems unflappable. I'm very proud of his training and good manners. He used to be a police horse until his owner was promoted to a higher level job where they required larger horses, about 16.2 HH. So off he went but Courtney appreciates him.

Thanks for your comment and after seeing the demo. By the way, which day did you see him? I was only there Friday and they didn't use the hoops then, just trying to get him used to the arena on Friday.

Quote Originally Posted by M.K.Smith View Post
    The horse was really well behaved and quiet!

I will admit, I totally did not get the hoola hoops... wearing them around the neck they just seemed to bounce around and most horses would have been more irritated about it. I gasped when the horse put a foot through them going over them on the ground and it flipped up and got caught around the horses leg for a stride or two... I thought sure it was going to be a huge wreck! Luckily, the horse was very chill about it, but it didn't seem very safe to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Susan P View Post
    I too was concerned about the risks of hula hoops and entanglement. But his owner told me that she she went to see him that they demonstrated with them while he was being ridden. This horse seems unflappable. I'm very proud of his training and good manners. He used to be a police horse until his owner was promoted to a higher level job where they required larger horses, about 16.2 HH. So off he went but Courtney appreciates him.

Thanks for your comment and after seeing the demo. By the way, which day did you see him? I was only there Friday and they didn't use the hoops then, just trying to get him used to the arena on Friday.
    I was there Saturday.
    http://www.leakycreek.com/
    http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
    John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
    Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Thanks. Now if anyone was there Sunday I'd love that opinion too. I haven't heard anything at all about how Sunday went.

Quote Originally Posted by M.K.Smith View Post
    I was there Saturday.

I know this horse and owner personally. He is a really good boy. Doesn't really care about much. Very laid back and honest. Court got really lucky when she found him. He is a great addition to her lesson program and he LOVES people.

See more about him here....
    Boomer's Hopes & Dreams
    On Facebook
    Tia - The Rescue
    RIP Boomer - May 21, 1989 - November 3, 2010

Thumbs up

I had never met Courtney and Carmen until Thursday night when they arrived at the expo with Popcorn. By the time I left on Saturday and saying goodbye to them Friday night, I was very impressed. They are 2 delightful young women with talent and a great attitude. Popcorn couldn't be in better hands and sometimes hoops. The calm demeanor of the horse matches perfectly with them and the mutual appreciation was obvious. This team is an excellent match. They will just get better and better as time goes on and I wish Courtney great success in her riding school. I'm sure she's a wonderful instructor.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerButt View Post
    I know this horse and owner personally. He is a really good boy. Doesn't really care about much. Very laid back and honest. Court got really lucky when she found him. He is a great addition to her lesson program and he LOVES people.

Hey BB, would you please ask Courtney to contact Shelly or Kim at the NHC and send them some photos of Popcorn and maybe some photos from the expo.

Quote Originally Posted by BoomerButt View Post