The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Wow, thank goodness you are ok.

I have been taking Calcium for a long time. i am 45, but i am a worrier so started it younger. My horse fell on me on a trail ride about 6 yrs ago. Dr was surprised my ankle did not break- he said i was the luckiest horse fall accident he had dealt with. my ankle was sprained, but i credit the calcium for keeping my bones healthy and strong!

I'm not that old (let's say just under 30!), but recently had to go on decently high levels of vitamins, especially vitamin D due to deficiencies they found after a few broken bones in some falls (yes, from horses). So yes, vitamins/calcium and definitely the helmet!

Glad you're OK, but it might be worth a follow-up visit to an orthopedist just to re-check that hip. Sometimes a fracture won't show right away, especially a hairline one. A very big deal in the hip, as that area in the femoral neck/ball joint is not overloaded with blood vessels (ask me how I found this out).

3 members found this post helpful.

Yeah, what Mara said ^

I, too, saw that on Riders4Helmets and when I saw the thickness of that stall door framing laying there, I just went EEK!

Sore No More is your friend!!!!
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Since we are mentioning bone density (HR of course), I thought I read awhile ago that calcium alone is not enough, that you need magnesium too. Does anyone know the details on that, and if so please either correct me if I am wrong or fill in more details such as how many milligrams per day are needed. TIA.
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Quote Originally Posted by sdlbredfan View Post
    Since we are mentioning bone density (HR of course), I thought I read awhile ago that calcium alone is not enough, that you need magnesium too. Does anyone know the details on that, and if so please either correct me if I am wrong or fill in more details such as how many milligrams per day are needed. TIA.
    yes my calcium has vitamin d, and i take magnesium with my calcium/.

I was just involved in a carriage wreck. I was flung from the carriage and thanks to my Helmet and strong bones - plus adequate fatty padding- all I suffered was lots of bruises and 3 broken ribs.

Broken ribs hurt. So where can I get a protective vest?