The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Just back from the ER: Crazy story and PSA

We got two new horses in the barn today. One was not too happy about the change of residence, but after some hay she seemed to settle down. I was having a nice pleasant canter in the indoor (which is attached to the stall area) when a sudden loud grinding crashing ripping noise came from the end of the aisleway. Spooked Mr Ay-rab and as he circled around in the spook, and was almost under control again, what do we see coming down towards the arena but a big upset mare with the stall door around her neck!

Well, that did it for my horse and he decided it was time to run for safety. Unfortunately, I bit the dust, hip first and then on my head. Knocked the wind out of me and boy did my hip hurt! Got everyone settled down, I gimped around and then went home. Went to the ER, everything is OK thankfully! But no riding for a week or so.

Do I need to tell you what the PSA is? Wear your helmets! Eat your calcium! Not that any of that is news, but a crazy situation like this is just one more reminder of how things can go south faster than the speed of sound!

Never ride without a helmet!!!!!!

And I don't have a broken hip because of my excellent bone density, especially for my age. So get your calcium too ladies!!

25 members found this post helpful.

Scary! But it is always worth reminding people to wear helmets.

BTW, what came of the mare wearing her stall door as a necklace?
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

1 members found this post helpful.

Agree completely. My husband was riding his bike today with a group of riders. They all signaled for a left turn but apparently the woman driving behind him thought they were waving her around. She hit him going about 40mph. His helmet cracked in half, his head did not. His shoulder is separated but that's it. So glad you are ok too!

6 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Hunter Mom View Post
    Scary! But it is always worth reminding people to wear helmets.

BTW, what came of the mare wearing her stall door as a necklace?
    She raced around the indoor and the stall door came apart in pieces - I wasn't paying too much attention because I was trying to breathe! But the pieces were scattered from one end to the other. She's got two big nasty scrapes on her knees but she wasn't lame, yet. They were working on her when I left. She hasn't been handled much in the last year or so...and she's rumored to be opinionated.

5 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Laurierace View Post
    Agree completely. My husband was riding his bike today with a group of riders. They all signaled for a left turn but apparently the woman driving behind him thought they were waving her around. She hit him going about 40mph. His helmet cracked in half, his head did not. His shoulder is separated but that's it. So glad you are ok too!
    Bicycling is the hobby my DH and I share. Same deal there - never go out without a helmet! So glad your husband is OK - getting hit by a car is another level of scary!!!!

3 members found this post helpful.

Recently a cyclist was run over by a dump truck; it ran over his *head*. He lived to tell the tale--coherently--because of his helmet.

Glad everybody in the OP is ok...

9 members found this post helpful.

Glad to hear you are on the mend and nothing serious happened.

I hear you on the bone density thing. I've totalled one motorcycle on pavement and had at least two really hard falls from horses where I landed on my hips/lower back and never broke a bone from them.

2 members found this post helpful.

OP, that must have been one sick feeling in your stomach when you saw that mare gunning for you with the stall door on her neck. I *hate* the feeling the horse gives you the nanno second before he looses it and you know your problems are going to escalate!

Hope the new mare settles down, a lot.

Ahhh, that is so scary! Glad you and everyone else are okay though!

A couple years ago I was boarding my horse at a local facility. There was a lady that was pretty nervous with her horse, which was a bad combo because her horse was also a nervous nellie. Very spirited, very go forward, and spooky. She tied him in the aisle way to his stall door and what do you know, nervous nellie spooked and pulled the stall door off. I wasn't there that day, so I don't know if he ran away or if they got him to calm down before he took off. I'm glad I wasn't there though haha.
    http://www.youtube.com/user/NBChoice http://nbchoice.blogspot.com/
    The New Banner's Choice- 1994 ASB Mare
    Dennis The Menace Too- 1999 ASB Gelding
    Dreamacres Sublime- 2008 ASB Gelding

Quote Originally Posted by oldernewbie View Post
    <snip>...and she's rumored to be opinionated.
    Think?
    This had me giggling.

Glad you're safe and let's hope her 'opinion' here on out is more one of complacency!

4 members found this post helpful.

Just saw a FB post where the stall door was decimated from horse kicking. I don my helmet when I grab my grooming kit, lid goes on before I even grab my horse.
    A helmet did save my life, so I'm partial.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Dang! Glad you are OK. Calcium, check, helmet, check. I hope I never see a horse wearing a stall door as a necklace galloping down the barn aisle for the rest of my days, I think I'D turn and flee too!
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

I just saw your story on FB on riders4helmets. Glad everything is ok!
    "Aye God, Woodrow..."

[QUOTE=Long Spot;6791459]I just saw your story on FB on riders4helmets. Glad everything is ok![/QUOTE
    That must be the one I just saw.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

Glad you are good to go....would have made a great you tube video

Quote Originally Posted by judybigredpony View Post
    Glad you are good to go....would have made a great you tube video
    That's the ticket! Always look for the humour in things, and yes, what a good youtube vid....horse gets loose and high jinks ensue For the viewing public, that is, for us horsepeople, pure TERROR!
    ― Anna Sewell

[QUOTE=up-at-5;6791473]
    Quote Originally Posted by Long Spot View Post
    I just saw your story on FB on riders4helmets. Glad everything is ok![/QUOTE
    That must be the one I just saw.
    Yep, that was us! Or at least, that was the stall door that started it all!

Mare's owner rode her today - a bit of a rough start but she ended up OK - I don't think she's been ridden for a few years, so it was good that the riding went off with no fireworks.

I'm sore, but not nearly as bad as I thought I would be.

Helmets! Always wear your helmet!!!!

ETA: and I do wish there had been a video!

the visual is enough for me to give thanks that I always DO wear one! glad all is well, and hope there will be no more stall doors galloping your way.
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

Right on for Senior citizens, helmets, calcium and all!!
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Wow, talk about the unexpected happening! Very glad that you are OK.

Yea, I'm 50 and doing the menopause thing. My PCP calls my occasional fall off a horse a "free bone density and intelligence test".

I pass the intelligence test if the answer is "yes" to whether I was wearing a helmet or not (it ALWAYS is!).

She tells me that calcium, vitamin D and weight bearing exercise (which riding really isn't) are the key to continuing to pass the free bone density tests .