The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Intro Test A- beginning salute at X?

I'm just starting dressage- will be riding Intro Test A in March. I watched several videos, and no one stopped and saluted the judge at the beginning of the test, only the end. Any thoughts? I figured it was a courtesy to acknowledge the judge.

No salute at the start of Intro A. Just come on down the centerline!

You've probably been watching eventing's dressage!

'Dressage' always start and end with a salute.

ETA: Well...that's what I thought... Anyway, in Canada, Dressage tests start and end with a halt/salute.

It's the only test that doesn't require it at the beginning (that I know of). I'm sure there's a good reason, someone will certainly jump in and tell you why. The folks you saw on the videos were doing it correctly.

Have fun in March and good luck!

It used to require a halt and salute at the beginning and end but the powers that be took away the one in the beginning a few years ago.
    Quote Originally Posted by MistyBlue View Post
    I prefer them outside playing as opposed to standing in the barn aisle playing "I can crap more than you"
    New Year, New Blog... follow Willow and I here.

It changed with the new tests in 2011. The reason was that it would be easier for young/ green horses to move straight down the centerline and continue on without the distraction of a halt. Just a transition to walk between X and C

2 members found this post helpful.

Yes- it's easier for baby horses to not have to stop on their way towards the scary Judge. Just do exactly what the test says and you'll be fine. It is the only test without a halt.

I suspect that too many greenies Halted at X, and never restarted, at least not on the planned on straight line.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

6 members found this post helpful.

In the UK there are no entry salutes at the lower levels, partly in the interest of saving time; also it keeps horses from anticipating the halt and makes for a more forward start to the test.

OP, what you really need to know is that things like this are explicitly stated on the tests themselves - if it's not stated on the test, don't do it. So just be sure to read and follow all of the movements and you'll be fine!
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

1 members found this post helpful.

It's always fun to watch movies, but print out the test so you can read exactly what is required, trace it with your finger, walk it on foot, practice on your own horse [with a copy in hand of coarse]
    Good Luck

Quote Originally Posted by luckymaverick View Post
    I'm just starting dressage- will be riding Intro Test A in March. I watched several videos, and no one stopped and saluted the judge at the beginning of the test, only the end. Any thoughts? I figured it was a courtesy to acknowledge the judge.
    Nope and good luck! I did my first year of dressage on a greenie this year (I'm a bit of a greenie dressage rider myself (ridden in other disciplines for a long time)so that was interesting.

Just know that sometimes there are un-intentional "freestyle" moves....like in Intro B, we are supposed to freewalk F to E, medium walk to H. Instead...my gelding and I did our freewalk F to E, balk halfway between E and H, and bolt sidways across the ring from H to C. Walk circle back to H, shoulder out H to M, 2 voltes at M (which got me a "smart riding" comment since that is what got his head back in the game for the rest of the test :-P
    The only thing the government needs to solve all of its problems is a Council of Common Sense.

Reading the test itself will reveal the answers Otherwise one might think that the initial line down centerline is wiggly, rather than straight

Work with a good coach/trainer - there is much more to dressage than what is written on the test sheets: at each level, different movement/expression is looked for in the horse, none of which is delineated/discussed in the test diagrams.

Intro is obviously very basic, nonetheless there is a training scale applied.

Reading the reasons offered for the removal of the halt from the Intro tests (in certain countries) made me those poor Canadian horses that are actually expected to remain focused & listening to their riders

As for the time element, there are very few Intro tests at (local) shows; as a training tool, I'd prefer my horse to get over his The Judges response at Intro level, rather than have it show up at Training - hopefully this is not a "progression" that Dressage Canada embraces ...

Quote Originally Posted by alto View Post
    Work with a good coach/trainer - there is much more to dressage than what is written on the test sheets: at each level, different movement/expression is looked for in the horse, none of which is delineated/discussed in the test diagrams.
    The directives are clearly stated next to each movement on the test... While a good trainer will obviously improve the student's understanding of terms and concepts, the elements being looked for are not mysterious or obscure. In other words, there are no mysteries to the tests, just a quest to perfect them!
    Proud COTH lurker since 2001.

It is NOT a question of courtesy.

It is a question of how the test is written.

If the test SAYS "X - Halt, Salute" you do.

If it DOESN'T, you don't.

I am sure I am not the only one who has received an ERROR for halting and saluting in one of the tests that doesn't call for it.

Many of the lower level Eventing Dressage tests only have Halt Salute at the END of the test, not the beginning.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Quote Originally Posted by Dramapony_misty View Post
    Nope and good luck! I did my first year of dressage on a greenie this year (I'm a bit of a greenie dressage rider myself (ridden in other disciplines for a long time)so that was interesting.

Just know that sometimes there are un-intentional "freestyle" moves....like in Intro B, we are supposed to freewalk F to E, medium walk to H. Instead...my gelding and I did our freewalk F to E, balk halfway between E and H, and bolt sidways across the ring from H to C. Walk circle back to H, shoulder out H to M, 2 voltes at M (which got me a "smart riding" comment since that is what got his head back in the game for the rest of the test :-P
    Hear ye! Hear ye! In order to induct you into the brother/sisterhood of dressage, you must review of this thread...

http://www.chronofhorse.com/forum/sh...ooper+dressage

Reason? We've all been there!

1 members found this post helpful.