The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Half chap sugestions?

I am in the market for a new pair of half chaps and would love some suggestions! I've had some Ariats (forget which model exactly, but mid range (~$100)) My current pair of halfchaps are Tredstep Deluxe. I generally love Tredstep but I have not been happy with these- they stretched terribly and wore very fast. Suggestions? I'd like to stay under $150ish

My last few pairs were Ariats and last time I picked up these little gems from our local tack shop. I am, quite simply, in love.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/grand-p...FUeRPAodoVcA6g

Pro chaps! They are I think $152, but I could be wrong. They are a new company, but have great products. Www.prochaps.com
    I would highly reccomend the competition half chaps, but you could go with any other half chaps they have.

I have Grand Prix suede half chaps. I like them.

I have the Ariat Classic III half chaps, and before these I had the Classic II. I've never had any other half chap brands besides the Ariats, but I love them! They look great on and wear extremely well-- they lasted me a good 5 years and really could have kept going, but were just starting to wear on the part that goes under your foot. And my "new" pair has been going at least 2 years and still looks practically brand new. http://www.doversaddlery.com/ariat®-...c51pvshaco03ih

Love my prochaps, they've been around for years actually (I have a pair that is nearing a decade) they wear well and come in all sorts of sizes.

Also nabbed a pair of $20 Dublin's last time I was at Dover, they are fantastic. Not fancy, you can hose them off (synethic obviously) but they are ultra thin so love them for summer riding or over my winter britches.

grand prix, for sure. i've had mine for a few years, they look sharp, hold up well, and retain their fit. i believe mine are the dated version of the gp leather chaps you can find on dover.

I like the Ovation suede ones that look like the tredstep extreme's for half the price (retail $60 I think).

half-chaps for schooling, or for showing? I like the lighter synthetic ones for regular riding, just throw them on over anything - bare leg, jeans, breeches, etc since they stretch a bit.

I also cringe at the thought of spending $150 on half chaps, so I go with what I can find that I like at the local tack swaps and Equestrian Exchange, an AWESOME thing here where people from all over the state bring their horsey stuff to a colesium and set everything up...one year I snagged 8 pairs of half-chaps for my program, and ended up keeping one for myself since I like them so much - they are zippered synthetic (not crazy about the color - blue)and have lasted a great while, and they only cost me $5!!

The only pair I've ever paid full price for were these: http://www.horse.com/item/suede-scho...aps/SLT700249/

and they lasted for about six or seven years before the elastic on the bottom of one of them broke. I could probably fix it, but I'd rather just stick with my other pair of cheapies from the exchange sale. All in all, they were fabulous schooling chaps, broke in quickly and comfortably, and looked nice.

If it's just for schooling, the Dublin half chaps - either the easy care or the normal suede ones - are GREAT for their price. So great that the pair I bought in an emergency will NOT die, though I am waiting for them to do so so I can get them in Tall!!

And either type is machine washable!

1 members found this post helpful.

I am quite happy with my Ariat Concords - they are around $100 and are nice and slim, and look like a tall boot - I have recieved many compliments on them. The zipper is strong (and up the back), along with a narrow stretch panel that gives a nice fit - I have been riding in mine 5 days a week for almost 4 years now.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/ariat%c...wzzsatsycfow45

I've had your problem with Ariats actually. I went through 2 pairs in less than 3.5 years. I recently, as of Dec 2012 switched to Tredsteps and LOVE them. However I did go with this model.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/tredste...5qg555y034nsqx

When I first got them I needed three people to help put them on, took about a week of wearing them at home and they fit like a glove and so comfortable.
    Forrest Gump, 15, OTTB
    Little Bit Indian, 27, TB

Owner of Spur of the Moment, Custom made spur straps! Find us on Facebook

Timely thread for me as my Ariat half chaps are falling apart rapidly! UGH! I tried Tredsteps but had to send a pair back to Dovers as they didn't fit. Long story but woman at the local Dover's store did NOT measure me and ordered what she thought would fit me but guessing doesn't work!

So I'm torn after measuring my calves between trying Tredsteps or ProChaps. If I order ProChaps and they don't fit, can they be returned? I briefly looked on the website for returns but didn't see anything.

I thought about trying the Grand Prix's but it appears they have limited sizing and I have short, fat calves.

I have never had any problems, stretching or otherwise with my Tredsteps, I have the Deluxe in both black and brown and love them, they have been very durable too. Before that I had the suede Tredsteps and no complaints with those either. The only stretching problems I have ever had was with Bit of Britain's own brand. I generally buy half chaps so tight I can barely zip them, they stretch just enough after a couple of rides to feel like custom and unlike boots half chaps never seem to drop in height either.