The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fairfax saddle? Thorowgood plates?

Hi all,

So I was at the tack shop today, the one with lots of new and consignment saddles, and I sat in a new Fairfax monoflap saddle (along with about 30 other saddles). The resident saddler though the thorowgood/fairfax/Kent and so-and-so line of saddle might be good for a coming 4 year old because it's so adjustable. I liked the monoflap, and came home to do research on it.

Has anyone ridden in the Fairfax monoflap? What did you think? WHere on earth do you buy gullet plates for these saddles ('R' type, I think). I can't find a website for this company and that makes me a little bit uncomfortable...

Any information is appreciated! Thanks!
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Hastilowusa.com sells them. So does Dover.

I ride my guy in a Kent and Masters and love it. It has a special flex tree that I was not aware of when I test rode in it; all I could tell was how obviously my horse preferred this saddle to others I tried that day.

His reaction won me over to the 'lighter,' adjustable brands rather than the ones that ride heavier with an immovable solid tree.

Thanks, Shall. I was perusing my dover catalog but must have missed them in there.

Thanks meupatdoes for reminding me of the full name (Kent and Masters). It's good to hear that the saddle worked so well for you and your horse.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

I had one of the original Fairfax (before they redesigned to monoflap) and really loved it. Unfortunately after mare muscled up behind she needed shorter panels so I traded it in on a customized Hastilow built on the same tree as teh Fairfax. Also have a Thorowgood T4 which is also built on the same tree. I really like them and so do all of my horses. I personally ended up in an HDR Austal on my horse but that is because of my personal conformation (short legs) which I also love and which is also adjustable.

Fairfax does have a website www.fairfaxsaddles.co.uk

Good luck, they are nice saddles.