The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Another mirror thread - sizes and security film?

The size question is self explanatory. Please share what sizes you have, what works best size wise, etc.

The second question is about security film that's used on store front windows to prevent easy illicit entry. I've seen the stuff in use (used to work in retail) and it's quite amazing. The glass can shatter but NOTHING leaves the film and the film does not break - it's a huge step up from the backing on mirrored closet doors and the like. I'm wondering if anyone has used it on arena mirrors or if anyone can think of reasons against using it.

The thing is that, in inclement weather, the arena is used for turnout so the mirrors need to be super safe. I'd like to accomplish safety without having to put wooden doors on the mirrors if possible because who wants to be going to the far end of the arena to mess around with doors all the time? No-one, especially not me.

However, I'm not willing to risk safety for convenience. The arena in question has had a horse jump through a mirror in the past If the only truly safe method of arena mirrors + turnout = inconvenience of doors, we'll do that.

In doing a bit of research already, I'm concerned about the more typical method of mounting mirrors - where the mirror is glued onto plywood - as I'm being told by suppliers that longevity of mirrors mounted thusly suffers in my climate.

Of course, the security film idea came up after glass store hours ... but I want an answer now!
    ++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++ +
    Ahhhh, spring is here. The birds are singing, the trees are budding and the paddocks are making their annual transformation from cake mix to cookie dough.

It doesn't need a horse jumping through the mirrors to break them. A tap from the metal ring on a halter can be sufficient, and some horses simply must talk to the "other' guy in the mirror.

Not familiar with a film that can be applied but still leave the desired clarity.

On another level, doesn't it destroy your footing, having horses turned out in it?
    Mine always want to dig and roll. Plays havoc with the base.
    Taking it day by day!

I have 12 mirrors in my indoor above the kick wall. I think each are 8' wide by 6' high. Because of the posts, 2 are set on either side of the posts, about 1/3 distance off the corners (long side), so there is a 16" span in 2 places.

On the short sides, they are also mounted side by side (post in middle) from the corners.

One of the long sides is not mirrored (my indoor is attached to the barn -- Morton bldg).

I had plywood "covers" made for them that hang off hinges and rest flatly on the kick wall, but when raised bolt to the posts at the top, so I can very easily cover them. The plywood covers about the bottom 2/3 of the mirrors, out of horse eyesight, unless you have an 18.3hh horse (and of course I had one...). The there is so little mirror showing and it's so high up a horse wouldn't consider jumping into it.

I often used my indoor for my horses (including youngsters) when we've had ice storms and became iced-in for a few days.

A well known trainer friend of my (clinician as well), was pleased to see them, as he witnessed a horse try to jump through a mirror in confusion. Broke its neck and died.

If you PM your email address, I have pics I can send you to see the set up.

Oh...re glue on plywood. That's how mine were done. They're 21 years old and going strong. That said, for extra safety you could also install clamps/brackets on the corners.
    Last edited by sid; Jan. 20, 2013 at 05:34 PM. Reason: wrong # of mirrors posted,typos and better description

the film might keep the glass from shattering into the arena, but unlikely to keep the horse from injurying itself if it does try to jump into or attack the horse in the mirror.
    Freeing worms from cans everywhere!

CHT, that's right.

In fact, I have one stallion that would rage at just the tips of his ears he could see above the plywood, even when the covers were up (if we was at liberty, not when he was u/s). So I had Next Day mini blinds installed to cover what little mirror at the top showed just for him.

He actually pulled one set down, "remembering" there was "another" horse behind the cover. Territorial dude.

I held RPSI inspections here for 5 years, and with the stallions that came in for presentation it was a must to have mirrors completely covered -- as they were shown and freejumped at liberty. So my plywood covers came in handy, especially for that situation.

Really doesn't cost much to take these precautions. ANY horse could get confused by mirrors creating a potentially disastrous situation.

1 members found this post helpful.