The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Something weird about Dover's prices?

I just placed an order with Dover totalling $78 before shipping, which would be $14. I found a $10 off coupon online so the total was $82.

Placed the order, got a confirmation email.

I then had to logon to my account as I wanted to check something.

The same items now total to $86 before shipping! They added several dollars to the cost of 3 of the items.

For example, I paid $12.99 for these gloves which now show as $17.99:

http://www.doversaddlery.com/ssg%C2%...ves/p/X1-3982/

Is this because I was now logged in already? Were they keeping the prices low since I hadn't bought anything from them in over a year? I'm confused.

Well, they aren't exactly known for their consistent pricing Did you get charged the lower amount or the new higher amount?

I'm confused, as well, but this also happened to me from horse.com this week. I ordered and got a confirmation email with the prices that I saw online. When the products arrived with a shipping invoice, the prices were different and I was charged the amount from the shipping invoice. It was only a few dollars more, but I was still annoyed that they could change the prices like that and not notify me until my products arrived.

Quote Originally Posted by feuerkracher View Post
    I'm confused, as well, but this also happened to me from horse.com this week. I ordered and got a confirmation email with the prices that I saw online. When the products arrived with a shipping invoice, the prices were different and I was charged the amount from the shipping invoice. It was only a few dollars more, but I was still annoyed that they could change the prices like that and not notify me until my products arrived.
    I hope you contested it!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by furlong47 View Post
    Well, they aren't exactly known for their consistent pricing Did you get charged the lower amount or the new higher amount?
    I got charged the lower amount but it makes me suspicious to buy from them again.

1 members found this post helpful.

Dover has *always* had multiple prices for the same item. It depends on whether you see it in the regular catalog, the sale flyer, online, etc., etc. They have different product codes for the same item. I have no idea how they do inventory!
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

There have also been a lot of manufacturer price increases with the first of the year, so some of this COULD be a timing oops when they're updating prices on their website.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    Dover has *always* had multiple prices for the same item. It depends on whether you see it in the regular catalog, the sale flyer, online, etc., etc. They have different product codes for the same item. I have no idea how they do inventory!
    Yes. They always have different prices in the different sale flyers- all with different numbers. If you don't enter the sale price item number, you won't get the sale price. It's among the reasons I won't use them anymore- I don't have the time to try 7 different prefixes on each item so make sure I have the lowest price.

2 members found this post helpful.

It's not an "oops." Their pricing is inconsistent and bad business practice. That is why I will never order from them. If they charged you a higher price, call them up and yell at them. They are a TERRIBLE business model.
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

3 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Guin View Post
    It's not an "oops." Their pricing is inconsistent and bad business practice. That is why I will never order from them. If they charged you a higher price, call them up and yell at them. They are a TERRIBLE business model.
    well, they bill you the price you ordered it for, I guess it's ok. I do not like the lack of transparency. But I suppose we are used to the low price guarantee by now, stores honoring their competitor's sales and even coupons!

However, quoting you a price, reassuring you a price, then charging you a higher price upon shipping is a bait and switch and as far as I know very illegal!
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by joiedevie99 View Post
    Yes. They always have different prices in the different sale flyers- all with different numbers. If you don't enter the sale price item number, you won't get the sale price. It's among the reasons I won't use them anymore- I don't have the time to try 7 different prefixes on each item so make sure I have the lowest price.
    This...I used to sit there and try all kinds of prefixes and get the prices to change. Stupid. I don't use them anymore.

They may well be charging sales tax.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

Quote Originally Posted by wsmoak View Post
    True. I once sat down with my sale catalogs and the regular catalogs (because they always ship around 4 per year) and found that the sale catalog often had about $5 off, but often had the same price and sometimes was more expensive than the regular catalog. They nail you on the shipping costs, too. You really have to be aware when you place an order...
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    They may well be charging sales tax.
    that should be indicated on the invoice/bill.

No, it wasn't sales tax. I placed an order. Got the items at the price I saw on the website. Looked at the website 3 minutes later and the prices had increased on three of the items by $2 to $5. The gloves were in the sale section when I purchased them, then they weren't when I went back a few minutes later.

I have not looked at the Dover website in several months and haven't logged in in over a year. So I think it was some cookies that kicked in when I logged in to change the prices.

Or maybe not. I don't know, it was just weird!

Maybe it just happened to be the end of the sale? You got your order in just under the wire? Or, just typical Dover...!

I've always thought they were over priced anyway.
    "I've spent most of my life riding horses. The rest I've just wasted". - Anonymous

MY favorite part is when something is in the "closeout" section of the sale flyer but is the same price that it always is, every other day. That's not a closeout.

2 members found this post helpful.

Hesitant to continue to pile onto Dover, but I too HATE the inconsistency of their pricing.

I make the 2 hour sojourn every so often to the closest store and usually have lots of stuff on my list. To stand at checkout and review each item's price compared to it's catalog price as it rings up is a major PITA. You have to watch the register like a hawk and with many items to look over, I get anxious like I'm going into battle. Not a good feeling.

There are some things I like about Dover. Fore example they had my ariat all circuit full seats on super sale, and I accidentally also bought an oster aerosol without thinking and asked them to Fed Ex Air it. I wasn't thinking that that wasn't POSSIBLE with an aerosol. So...2 days before my event there is no package! I contacted customer service and they got me another pair and overnighted it to me free of charge. I was very thankful!

Their price changes do get annoying though