The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trimming hooves too short questions

What are some reasons for trimming past the white line of the hoof? Can you quick a horse's hoof like you can quick a dog's nail?

Is there anything you can put on the hoof to help ease some of the pain? How long might it take for the horse to move normally again?

What do you mean, "trimming past the white line"?
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

I was told that you usually trim the hoof up to the white line. But in some cases, you might have to shorten the toe even more, so you would just trim off the white line.

Do you mean backing up the toe?
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

I have heard this spoken about also, and am curious to follow this thread.
    "If you think nobody cares about you, try missing a couple payments..."

Quote Originally Posted by HappyHorsey View Post
    I was told that you usually trim the hoof up to the white line.
    By this I think you must mean the water line, the unpigmented (and physically white-ish) inner hoof wall. That is the usual deal - relieve some portion of the pigmented, outer hoof wall of weight-bearing duty (assuming a non-shod foot)

But in some cases, you might have to shorten the toe even more, so you would just trim off the white line.
    Yes, in some cases, you have to come back farther than that. But I don't know of any valid situation where you would horizontally back the toe up beyond the white line, which is actually yellow-ish, because at that point you're at sole, barring some super stretched, nothing there anyway foundered/slipper foot. You might well bring back the breakover point by rasping a bevel into the sole, but sole is still there.

1 members found this post helpful.

Yes you can spring a leak on a hoof , that would indicate that someone has no clue as to the hoofs internal structures and/or where they lay. Nor would the trim give any concideration as to what the horse needs to move with comfort. Usually done by some radical trim that is hopeing to totally improve a hoof capsule in one trim.
    And yes there are times when a trim into the sole is called for but it is rare and usually involves a sever founder case or grossly over grown hoofs with stretched soles. Does this describe your horses hoofs?
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care

My horse had a bad trim a few weeks back and was VERY sore. The only reason I didn't fire my trimmer is because this is the first time in almost 5 years he has made my horse sore, but we did have quite a discussion about it. I was pretty unhappy, because my gelding had a bout of low grade laminitis last fall (during a brief period when somebody else was trimming him) and was doing great up until what I now just call the "unfortunate trim." He is doing fine now and the last trim did not cause any problems.

I used Bute and hoof boots until he felt better. It took a while, because the trim was pretty bad. I don't know what happened. Maybe my trimmer was having a bad day?

Try to keep the horse comfortable until it grows out. That's about all you can do.

Yes, I was told that sometimes when the toe is very long, you have to back up the toe quite a bit. I can understand that, but it seems that trimming right to the sole would make a horse quite sore. Then you would have to wait several weeks for the hoof to grow back.

Trimming right back to the edge of the sole doesn't automatically make the foot sore. That depends on the rest of the foot, and what else is done to the foot.

[QUOTE=HappyHorsey;7094194]
    Yes, I was told that sometimes when the toe is very long, you have to back up the toe quite a bit.
    Yes this is true.
    I can understand that, but it seems that trimming right to the sole would make a horse quite sore.
    Yes this is also true.
    Then you would have to wait several weeks for the hoof to grow back
    And this is true as well.

Is the entire hoof trimmed to the sole or is the toe trimmed/backed to the sole. If the sole is thin to start with you may have a problem doing this type trimming. Any pictures may help you get some better help, your desciption of the trim is not clear.
    Charlie Piccione
    Natural Performance Hoof Care