The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Anyone ship from CA to Fl lately?

Hi
    I am looking at a horse in Ca and was just trying to get a baseline idea on what it will cost to ship to Florida. I did try and search since I always see posts related to shipping but it didnt come up with anything. Just looking for a general idea so I know in case things work out with this horse.

t.I.A

Quote Originally Posted by spook1 View Post
    Hi
    I am looking at a horse in Ca and was just trying to get a baseline idea on what it will cost to ship to Florida. I did try and search since I always see posts related to shipping but it didnt come up with anything. Just looking for a general idea so I know in case things work out with this horse.

t.I.A
    Try putting the info into Uship. I did that when I was looking at getting a horse shipped to Georgia from Colorado. You do not haev to commit to any of them but it will give you an idea. From Colorado to Georgia to was 1100-1400 depending on which one I picked.

Good luck!

Spot
    Thank you!!! I just needed some idea because i have to include that into my horse buying budget....lol

From GA to CA I got 2 quotes from 2 big name shippers; $2700 and $2900.

Wow!!! 2700!? holly cow! that will definitely put a damper on my budget. Can I ask what shipper?

I shipped a horse from CA (via a couple of overnights in TX) to FL two years ago. A box stall cost $2500. I don't remember the shipper but you can do a search on my posts around that time and find the whole process documented. I shopped around and solicited opinions and was very happy with the service and care I settled on. I think I got the price just before gas prices went wacko.
    *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=
    Dressage becomes art when it is a joy for the horse. -KBH

Mighty Thoroughbred Clique Now on Facebook ... ... show the loff

Wow!!! 2700!? holly cow! that will definitely put a damper on my budget. Can I ask what shipper?
    Brookledge is the $2700 quote, and Equine Express is the $2900. Both companies are big rigs and the price is for a box stall. The "stall and a half" is an area of like 4'x8' that they can ride in crosstied, and of course the box stall they travel loose. I just feel like for SUCH a long trip, I'd rather him be loose. Honestly, it's about what I figured it would be. Brookledge shipped someone I know's horse from NM to GA and she HIGHLY recommended them all the way around, so I will probably go that route. After watching "Shipping Wars", I would probably NOT use Uship for a horse lol!!

1 members found this post helpful.

Dakota
    I just got a quote from EE and it was 2800.00 for a box.I dont know why I am surprised with gas prices. I wonder if I could do the trip cheaper? I have a new trailer and could get the time off work.....but thats a lloonngg drive

El Paso to NC is $1950 from EE. While it's tempting to haul yourself, the air-ride suspension on the big vans is soooooooo much better for the horse.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

Yeah, I actually have a trailer, but in making that trip would have to find layover facilities, etc. I figure at the end of the day, I'd save a few dollars doing it myself, but in the end it will be worth it to use a company experienced with long hauls with the proper equipment for a half way comfortable ride Good luck! It is really expensive, I'm actually freaking out about it on the inside.

Dakota
    I just got a quote from EE and it was 2800.00 for a box.I dont know why I am surprised with gas prices. I wonder if I could do the trip cheaper? I have a new trailer and could get the time off work.....but thats a lloonngg drive
    A friend of mine needed to get a horse hauled from Oregon to Georgia. After getting quotes, they decided it would be about the same to get it themselves. One option may be to have the horse hauled 1/2 way and then you could haul the second half.

I am also horse shopping and found so many nice ones in Ca. However once I added in shipping costs, I figured I could just up my budget and the horse I have drooled over for 3 years! Good luck! Let us know what you do!

Spot
    I am most likely going to pass on the horse. The shipping is just too much money. It really will cut into my budget for horse shopping. Its a shame I have found so many horses that I would love to have.