The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Pedigree/pics - eventing suitability?

I'd love to get thoughts on my Finger Lakes Finest TB. I've had him a bit over a year. He's 13 this year, retired at the end of his 11 year old season with a total of 90 races and over $400k earnings. Soundness isn't a concern, lol. Wondering what are the good and bad points of his confo and pedigree.

Pedigree
    Conformation - this is from his listing, so probably about 18 months old
    Sort of confo, within the last month or so
    Free jumping maybe 2'6" or 2'9"?
    Free jumping again

I don't have particularly high aspirations for him (unless I win the lottery, in which case I'd pay someone to ride and compete him), so I'm not wondering if he's Rolex potential .
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

I think he looks great! I love his big eye -- I always go for brain first. I would love to see him with a bit more groceries and muscling. Overall, he's the type I like. The only thing that stands out in the picture from his listing is that his front feet don't match -- the angles and the feet themselves are very different?

LOVELY page. Vice Regent, Sir Ivor, Blushing Groom...Tudor Minstrel just off the page. SO nice. Bet he can jump AND move.

The pics show me a horse that really, really needs more muscle and a lot of help from the farrier. I think he looks better in the "before" conformation shot. I'd up his protein, make sure the amino acids are covered and feed him more. That left front looks worse than the OTT shot. What's your farrier's plan for getting the heel back there?

1 members found this post helpful.

he looks like a bright boy with a nice jump in him

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    I think he looks great! I love his big eye -- I always go for brain first. I would love to see him with a bit more groceries and muscling. Overall, he's the type I like. The only thing that stands out in the picture from his listing is that his front feet don't match -- the angles and the feet themselves are very different?
    i've found horses on the track (not all!) can have poor hoof condition for a variety of reasons. weather and track conditions and any small injuries can play a part. if a horse moves around to various tracks, the same farrier is not always working on their feet. some don't know what to correct, and some aren't particularly skilled at all. hopefully with time his hoof condition will improve.

good luck with him!

Looks hopeless to me.

Give me your address and I will take him off your hands.

6 members found this post helpful.

His condition is DEFINITELY a concern, but believe it or not he looks much better than he did a few months ago. The BO where we used to board wasn't feeding horses they way she was supposed to, but I considered her a friend and trusted that he was getting fed correctly. It wasn't until we moved that I realized just how bad my horses were looking. I can no longer count his ribs, so he's definitely improving! He's on Ultium, several supplements including Tri-Amino, lots of hay, and I give him almost two gallons of beet pulp (soaked volume) whenever I'm out.

His feet don't match and they never will. He has a limb length disparity, so his feet are appropriate for the legs they're attached to, they just don't necessarily look too pretty. They are better now than they were when I got him!

When I first tried free jumping him, I was kind of worried... he knocked it down almost every single time and I was wondering if he was going to be hopeless jumping. Then one day I decided to free jump him again, but put it up a bit higher. That did it. Once it got high enough to require some effort, he got much more careful.

He is really such a good boy. He's very willing and learns things quickly. If I don't ride for a week or two, we pretty much pick up right where we left off.

I took him home based on a few pictures and watching him jog for a few seconds. Literally, after about three steps of trot, I said I'll take him.
    VW sucks.

He's da bomb : )

If you are looking for things to try -- I dropped beet pulp b/c there's really not much to it, and replaced it with rice bran, Cool Calories, and alfalfa pellets. I've had mine a bit over a year as well and the Cool Calories really helped him turn a corner. This is him over his first year and I added the CC late last spring:

http://www.teamflyingsolo.com/2012/0...seriously.html

Just wanted to say kudos for taking a chance on an older guy and a veteran of so many races. I like his looks!
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

4 members found this post helpful.

Suzanne, I already know that!

Wildlifer, I was giving him beet pulp and alfalfa pellets, but he's been kind of a jerk lately for the people working, so I cut the falf just in case it was making him hot. I add oil when I have it, I just keep forgetting to get more and bring it to the barn. He's picked up quite a bit since I started adding my stuff to it.

Bearcat, thanks!

ETA: Bearcat, you have the best signature ever!!!!!
    Last edited by amastrike; Jan. 21, 2013 at 05:30 PM.
    VW sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by amastrike View Post
    Suzanne, I already know that!

Wildlifer, I was giving him beet pulp and alfalfa pellets, but he's been kind of a jerk lately for the people working, so I cut the falf just in case it was making him hot. I add oil when I have it, I just keep forgetting to get more and bring it to the barn. He's picked up quite a bit since I started adding my stuff to it.

Bearcat, thanks!

ETA: Bearcat, you have the best signature ever!!!!!
    He is super cute and lucky to have found you! It sounds like you will figure out the right combination of diet for him.

After my OTTB started copping an attitude, I realized that his attitude is directly related to how much alfalfa he is eating.

Also, adding several ounces of flax to your beet pulp when soaking it would be an easy way to add fat and have him shed out with a beautiful shine.

He looks like a blast!

Amastrike, you are awesome for giving this war horse a great home. 90 races!!!!!!!! He has earned his retirement and more. FWIW, horses that race a long time can take a bit to transition over to a new lifestyle and it takes a lot of protein to build and maintain muscle. I do feed all my Tb's alfalfa because I think it is great for their bellies and for building weight and muscle. Most of them handle it very well but if they are easy keepers it isn't necessary. He looks like he just needs more muscle mass but his weight is good.

These older racehorses typically make very nice lower level horses that just do a bit of everything. They have seen it all and then some so generally once they learn what you are asking they are eager to please.

Keep us posted. He looks super cool and fun! Love his soft eye.

I really hope Viney chimes in because my eyes popped when I saw his pedigree. It is loaded with sports/jumping blood and up close!

I am far from a pedigree expert so hopefully some others will chime in, but here is what I have in my "notes"

Deputy Minister and Deputy Commander-event
    Mt Livermore- + minds and athletic
    Vice Regent- + minds and athletic
    Sir Ivor-event, hunt, jump
    Prince John-jump
    Tudor Melody-sport, movement

I think he looks better in your pics on the blog. In the cantering jump vid, his canter looks really animated and uphill. He is very cute in motion.
    2007 Welsh Cob C X TB GG Eragon
    Our training journal.
    1989-2008 French TB Shamus Fancy
    I owned him for fifteen years, but he was his own horse.

This is the picture from my blog.. he does look better, I just didn't include it initially because it's from a weird angle and I had to adjust the brightness/contrast/color because the original was quite dark.

Trust me, I was 100% selfish in my reasons for taking an old warhorse home... besides liking his build and movement, if I was going to get a horse I absolutely positively did not need, it was going to be a horse who has proven his durability, soundness, and mind many times over. And since I lease an OTTB who is 26 this year and still acts like he's a wild 3, age doesn't worry me too much. (Seriously--when I get on the old guy, he takes off trotting and then cantering and then dragging me around the ring while I'm laughing and standing up in the stirrups trying to hold him back.)

mkevent, thanks for the pedigree input! There are a few names I know as being good, but Riv's pedigree is unfamiliar too many. If you don't mind sharing, I'd love to see your notes for my own education!
    VW sucks.

Being a total nerd, my "notes" consist of an address book that I've alphabetically filled with TB stallions and little notes on soundness, mind, athletic ability. I've gleaned the information from various articles and especially what I've read here on COTH.

I find pedigree information interesting and I like to follow it, but I am far from being an expert or guru! Usually I answer pedigree questions when the experts don't answer those particular threads, because I don't want anyone's call to help being unanswered.

I really would love to hear what Viney or Columbus or some of the real experts have to say!!

Your situation sounds SO close to mine and what I went through with my OTTB last year. I also had been keeping him at a barn that was not properly feeding him and was treating him like he was a QH (which he is TOTALLY not!!)... he lost all of his weight, his coat looked terrible, he was really difficult to handle and his anxiety was out of control. I moved him to a new barn, he is now on Poulin 12 and a senior feed, he gets beet pulp at night, I give him SmartCombo and Biotin for supplements but most of all... I treated him for ulcers. Now I am NOT saying that your horse has them but a lot coming from the track do. My horse was not girthy, he didn't act up under saddle but he had a couple colics in a short time frame so my barn manager and I decided it would be best to just treat him and see how he does. While he does still have small gas colics when the temperatures go up and down (as they often do in New England) the difference in his outer appearance is amazing! (I posted a few pictures for evidence)
    I have to agree with above posters... he has a great eye and looks like a lot of fun. I too am looking to event with my gelding and OTTBs are so loving a versatile it makes all their little quirks and all the money we dump into keeping weight on them well worth it! Good Luck with him and HAVE FUN!!!

http://www.flickr.com/photos/92478190@N05/

Speaking of ulcers, I have not had any trouble but I DO keep mine on U-Guard simply as a precaution. Since data showed that approximately 90% of racehorses have ulcers to some degree, I figure it doesn't hurt and it's not very expensive.

Quote Originally Posted by wildlifer View Post
    Speaking of ulcers, I have not had any trouble but I DO keep mine on U-Guard simply as a precaution. Since data showed that approximately 90% of racehorses have ulcers to some degree, I figure it doesn't hurt and it's not very expensive.
    I forgot to mention that I keep my TB on Ugard too! I have thought about taking him off of it seeing as how I treated his ulcers with UlcerGard but he's been looking so good that I don't want to chance it! lol

Here's a pic from yesterday. He needs muscle, but his weight is finally good!
    VW sucks.

2 members found this post helpful.