The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question Saddle Shopping - under $1000

I think the time has come for me to start saddle shopping Not something I was planning on doing this year but my saddle is telling me otherwise.

I currently ride in a 17.5 Collegiate Convertible Diploma Close Contact Saddle. I like it. It's comfy, it fits me pretty well and I've been able to use it on a bunch of different horses without any complaints. Unfortunately, it's starting to fall apart.

My budget is under $1000 (really, if I could find something that is $600 - $800, that would be sweet). I assume I'm going to have to go with a used saddle - which is fine with me. Any suggestions on brands to start looking at or websites? I haven't saddle shopped in at least 10 years so I'm sure there are resources out there now that weren't there before.

Requirements:
    -Under $1000
    -Currently going BN - maybe novice in the next year or two
    -Needs to fit a variety of horses - I currently lease a draft cross and I have no plans to own a horse in the near future (The Medium tree in the current saddle works fine for this horse)
    -I don't need forward flaps. I'm 5'6" and pretty average in the leg length dept.

Thanks for any advice you can send my way!

Without seeing the horse in question (or at least a template of the back and a conformation shot), it's not really possible to make any sort of meaningful recommendations about saddles. But given your budget and requirements, a used Kent & Masters or a new Thorowgood T8 would be worth considering. These saddles come in high-wither, standard and cob/broadback models, and have conformation-specific fitting modifications on each model. They also have a flocked panel and a changeable gullet system and offer pretty good bang for the $$. Annette Gavin at www.hastilowusa.com has them, and she's a good fitter to work with.

Default Where to look

Middleburg Tack Exchange. They have a ton of saddles in your price range.

1 members found this post helpful.

I'm 5'6" and pretty average in the leg length dept.
    Congratulations! To read the multiple saddle threads, one gets the impression that NOBODY is average and EVERYONE either has bizarrely long or bizarrely short legs/thighs.
    Click here before you buy.

4 members found this post helpful.

What Kitt said. I've gotten good advice (and a great price on a dressage saddle) from Annette and several good deals at Middleburg Tack Exchange http://www.middleburgtack.com/
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

VAevent - Thanks so much for that suggestion! Middleburg is only an hour from me. I'll have to go down there and do some searching.

I love Middleburg. They sold my Berney Brothers for me.

Quote Originally Posted by curlykarot View Post
    I currently ride in a 17.5 Collegiate Convertible Diploma Close Contact Saddle. I like it. It's comfy, it fits me pretty well and I've been able to use it on a bunch of different horses without any complaints. Unfortunately, it's starting to fall apart.
    A brand new one of exactly what you have, you like and that fits you and your horse is $1100. So I'm not sure what the question is!!

Quote Originally Posted by VAevent View Post
    Middleburg Tack Exchange. They have a ton of saddles in your price range.
    Agreed. I've used them for over 15y. My current saddle was in your price range. And they are having a sidewalk sale 8/2-3. id call them to find out the times and see if saddles are part of it. You can also look up the saddles on their website too.
    And the wise, Jack Daniels drinking, slow-truck-driving, veteran TB handler who took "no shit from no hoss Miss L, y'hear," said: "She aint wrapped too tight."

Quote Originally Posted by subk View Post
    A brand new one of exactly what you have, you like and that fits you and your horse is $1100. So I'm not sure what the question is!!
    Issue is buying another saddle wasn't really on my radar this year. Some other expenses are on my radar and I was hoping the saddle would last another year or two. I'd really rather not spend $1000 if I don't have to. So, looking at used saddles looks like a good way to go right now.

If you're going to make the trip down to check out the Tack Exchange (which I heartily recommend--I got my Dabbs from them for just under $1000, it looked like new and fits my horse and I both great!), go up the block and check out the Tack Box as well--they have used saddles upstairs. Between the two of them you should at least find a couple of things you like sitting in, and the TE will let you take it home to actually put on the horse before you're stuck with it

I am kind of surprised your saddle is falling apart. How old is it? Is there any sort of warranty. I have never had a saddle die on me, I have always sold them on to new homes.

Quote Originally Posted by curlykarot View Post
    I'd really rather not spend $1000 if I don't have to. So, looking at used saddles looks like a good way to go right now.
    Oh, I wasn't suggesting you buy a new one, just that if they are $1100 new then a used one ought to be right in your price range!!

Don't ever assume "Saddle Hell" is not a real place. To actually *know* a specific make and model that meets all your needs is a blessing of untold magnitude!

Saddlesource.com has some used ones. There are a few in the used section that are brand new and under $1000.

Trumbull Mountain has several used jump and ap saddles at various prices. We carry new Thorowgood saddles which are 895.00, wool flocked with adjustable gullet plate systems and re-positional billet straps. We are happy to assess templates at no charge and we also have a generous trial policy. We update the site weekly so inventory changes.
    Jay McGarry
    saddle fitter
    www.trumbullmtn.com
    800-442-9672

I love Stubbens. Just because some of the more popular types can leave some riders in the dreaded chair seat, doesn't mean they deserve the bad rap they sometimes receive. If you find one that isn't too old you can always sell it for exactly what you paid for it if you do some shopping around. They wear like IRON. For $1000and under you can get a great quality saddle in great condition that will last for ages.

Barnsbys are another favorite of mine. I bought one 3 years ago for $900 and just resold it for the same price. You can find deals on them since they aren't as well known but they are another very high quality brand.

Don't be afraid to demo a saddle that isn't quite what you want. It might help you narrow down what you do want and find it somewhere else, or you may find that what you want isn't exactly what you were looking for.

1 members found this post helpful.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

You can have a Berney Brothers built for you for not much over 1k, IIRC. Their prices might have gone up since I last checked though.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire