The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Things my 4 year old Trak gelding does not spook at:
    -screaming kids
    -gun shots (yet another occurrence yesterday)
    -car or building alarms
    -traffic
    -flags
    -tractors, even when its in his field
    -golf carts (food comes on it, so he knows better)

Things he will spook at:
    -a single ground pole (but he will go over cavaletti no problem)
    -the hedge row along the long side of the ring (granted I don't necessarily blame him for that one because the cats have been known to jump out from there, plus there are crazy people on the other side)
    -the mean mare we pass walking in from the pasture, if she's along the fence
    -hay bags at the corner of the barn (seriously?!)

Sometimes I just have to laugh. Oh, the best was during a lesson. His pasture buddy saw two people walking along the road and could...not...handle...it. It made my guy start thinking something was majorly wrong. Tried to work through it but just wasn't happening. Once his pasture buddy couldn't see the people on the road, everything was fine again.
    Last edited by LadyNeon01; Jan. 22, 2013 at 10:52 AM. Reason: spelling

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by oliverreed View Post
    My horse is deathly afraid of - the closed door in the indoor arena. Seriously. It is al;ways there, it is always closed. I can calm him down, make him touch it, make him stand next to it, and finally get on with our ride.

Next time it freaks him out all over again.
    You are not alone. I do the same thing every day, except sometimes the door is slightly open, sometimes closed. I have decided that if we start the ride with him looking out the door (which he usually just passed through coming in from his pasture !!!!) and let him stand there long enough to re-scope out everything that he just saw when he was outside, I can save myself a lot of fire breathing. What the heck is it about the door???

It's in another thread on here and I won't go into details, but he did legitimately spook at a new horse running through the ring Saturday with a stall door around her neck. *That* I understood!!!!

I am reading that thread. OMG. What a wild thing to happen!

My guy is fine with tarps, flowers, new jumps, loud machinery (esp loud machinery), guns, etc. My farrier jokes that he has to check his pulse every time he has to shoe him in the parking lot with cars and tractors and all kinds of craziness driving around. He doesn't care a bit.

But Haflingers, man. Something about Haffies is a no-no for him. I don't know what it is, but without fail he will spook at them. He's also not a fan of folding out deck chairs.

2 members found this post helpful.

Not spooky:
    Lawn mowers
    Hay baling equipment IN USE (we actually stopped to chat with that farmer)
    Anything between two jump standards (he likes odd jumps)
    Small animals (chickens, cats, dogs, etc. are his best friends with one exception--see below)
    Leaf blowers
    Wooden bridges
    Cornfields

Spooky:
    Mini donkeys and sheep
    Other horses
    Lines on a paved road (yeah, we've bounced those)
    Sun spots in the indoor
    Water troughs in places where they DON'T BELONG

Terrifying beyond belief:
    Dogs playing frisbee, especially if they're 200 or so yards away

ETA he's also spooked at gaited horses, which is ironic because his breeder also breeds Missouri Fox Trotters

To be fair, I have put a ton of miles on my horse. He has been trail ridden all over.

What surprises me is when there are or is deer laying down in tall grass right along side of the trail. They usually wait until you are almost on top of them to pop up and run off. My horses rarely bats an eye. It surprises me much more than him. I wonder if he can hear them breathing or smells them.

One time I should have been a goner, was several years ago. We were trail riding, cantering up a hill which had a blind top. It was steep enough to not be able to see the top until were were there.

At the top, he ran literally in the middle of a big flock of turkeys. They were freaking out. He just stopped, some of the turkeys actually ran underneath him. He just stood and waiting until they disappeared in the woods. I realized on that ride how much I could trust my horse to take care of me!!!

Riding other horses, it is strange, some hate low lying things like logs or piles of dirt, no matter, HOW many times they go past it. Yet, when a deer or coyote pops up, they just dont bat an eye.
    Riding is NOT meant as an inside sport, GET out of that arena!!!

Quote Originally Posted by rosijet View Post
    I board near an Air Force base. He saw a military person in head to toe camouflage and about lost his marbles.

This is the same horse who hung out with a camel:

http://i30.photobucket.com/albums/c3...psb0e8e64b.jpg
    Ok, in his defense it is camouflage
    If i smell like peppermint, I gave my horse treats.
    If I smell like shampoo, I gave my horse a bath.
    If I smell like manure, I tripped.

My beloved mare, rest her cowardly soul, excelled at this.

First time in a huge indoor arena at a rated show, with HUGE 50' American flag hanging floor-to-ceiling (and moving!) on one side of the ring? Pfft. Nothing. WHATever.

Innocuous trash can next to the arena rail? OH DEAR GODDDDDD!
    SA Ferrana Moniet
    Not goodbye--just waiting at the end of the trail.
    My bloggity blog: Hobby Horse: Adventures of the Perpetual Newbie

Not scary:
    Pig slaughter with gunshots 100 feet away (that was during his prepurchase trial)
    Deep mud on the trail
    Sketchy bridges on the trail
    Goats
    Minis
    Zebras
    Buffalo

Totally terrifying:
    Cinder blocks
    A squirrel
    Gravel
    Water in a new water bucket

He's not the sharpest tool in the shed...but he's cute.

Another dear that I once had...

Not scary:
    Combines
    The guy in the weird bike suit thing
    Cows
    Rattling things on a silo
    Snow sliding off the arena roof

Terrifying:
    His saddlepad laying on the ground
    A blue barrel
    Music from an iPod
    A rock on the trail

What is it about donkeys? Mine was also terrified of donkeys. There was a mini donk in the stall across from him, and the first time he heard it bray, I thought he was going to have a heart attack. He settled down to that one, but then a spotted donkey moved in and he was wrapped around me shaking when he had to walk past her one day in the arena. Again, not afraid of cows or deer, best friends with the cats, fine with dogs--but mini donkeys are clearly Satan's tiny-hoofed emissaries.
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    What is it about donkeys? Mine was also terrified of donkeys. There was a mini donk in the stall across from him, and the first time he heard it bray, I thought he was going to have a heart attack. He settled down to that one, but then a spotted donkey moved in and he was wrapped around me shaking when he had to walk past her one day in the arena. Again, not afraid of cows or deer, best friends with the cats, fine with dogs--but mini donkeys are clearly Satan's tiny-hoofed emissaries.
    I could understand one of my horses being afraid that I would trade them in for a (mini) donkey...
    Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
    Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
    VW sucks.

Quote Originally Posted by SarahandSam View Post
    My mare almost jumped out of her skin first time she saw one and I happened to be on her at the time--we were heading off on a trailride and passing the donkey in the paddock. She got a bit better after having to go back and forth to turnout past the donkey and his friend the mini. She'd still get a bit wild eyed but wouldn't shake. My gelding, on the other hand, dragged me across the aisle to visit the same donkey and mini.

My theory with the mares is that they are self-conscious of their own big ears and are afraid they will be transformed--like Puck--into an ass.

Had one that was terrified of plastic bags. Didn't matter if it contained apples, carrots or other yummy things. Didn't matter if it was in your hand. Even poking out of a pocket. Plastic bags of all sorts were evil. Also wigged out everytime a plane or helicopter would fly over (and they were not flying low...jet liners..so high up they were hard to spot). Shheesh.

My goes anywhere, foxhunting, endurance riding, cattle cutting, kid packing BROKE 8yo. We're cool riding down the road with semi's and whatnot going past less than 20ft away. We're cool barreling through the woods with hounds all over the place. We're cool cutting cows or baby buffalo. We're good to go jumping whatever. God help us of we try to pass a field full of grazing alpacas who are 100+ft away though. Alpacas, in case anyone was wondering, apparently eat Arabs.

Alpacas? Make him just totally lose his marbles. I haven't a clue why. We resort to rearing, spinning, snorting, bolting, bucking madness to get away from them if I'm on his back. If I'm leading him, its roughly the same, although he *will* reluctantly follow me past them. The whole time he's a violently trembling scared mess. This summer I plan on taking him up to my friend's alpaca farm and turning him loose for a couple days in their field to just get over himself.