The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Adequan should be administered IAW label directions. Anything else is "off label." That's legal under a vet. supervision but makes you an experimental vet. research aid and your horse an experimental vet. research animal. If that makes anybody comfortable, then do it. Otherwise stick with what's been proven.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Off label use of drugs as prescribed by vets (or doctors) is QUITE common. I do not suggest lay people make those decisions but if a vet does.... that's part of what they went to vet school to do-- use their judgment.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

My old man (nearly 23) feels great when he gets his Adequan every 5 weeks. Honestly the horse will tell you when he needs it. I started out with every four weeks after the loading dose, then tried 5 and he continued to be comfortable. I tried to go to 6 weeks and knew he needed 5 weeks instead when he came out stiff. My vet said that the dosage on the package is what they say works best but that doesn't mean other ways won't work and wouldn't be better for certain horses. I hope it helps your horse as much as it did mine.

I used Adequan in two older TBs - one was 16 or 17 at the time, but had lots of old joint issues and old injuries, and the other was 22 or 23. Both were eventing at Training level and doing some H/J stuff on the side. With both, we did the loading dose, then one injection monthly. The older TB got Legend before some big events (such as a 3-day george morris clinic) as well. Definitely saw a difference in both older guys...
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

I've tried both ways. One horse got an injection once monthly for a couple of years, but more recently my current gelding has responded well to the loading dose, and has been fine for 6 months now. All I can say is that it worked well for both of them but when I stopped giving the monthly injections he was definitely less comfortable within 2 months time. I still think the loading dose is important, and you may end up needing another loading dose after a while even if you continue monthly. If I could spend big bucks I would probably combine the methods.

Either way, I believe another must is omega 3 supplementation, I've found that to make a big difference in my dogs, horses and myself.

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    Off label use of drugs as prescribed by vets (or doctors) is QUITE common. I do not suggest lay people make those decisions but if a vet does.... that's part of what they went to vet school to do-- use their judgment.
    You are absolutely right. And it changes nothing of what I wrote.

G.
    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão