The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How frequently do YOU administer Adequan?

I think I'm going to give Adequan a try on my 21yo TB this spring, and have heard lots of different thoughts on how often to give it. I know the new manufacturer recommendation is a loading dose as needed, roughly every six months. However I have talked to people who have seen a clear difference doing it monthly vs. without. I've also heard of potentially giving it every two weeks, especially during heavy workload periods (ie. show season). My vet was somewhat noncommittal on the issue, is happy to give me the Rx, and trusts that I have good judgement. So, anyone willing to share their experiences? Especially with older horses?

Generally monthly during show season when I was using Adequan. Nowadays I use pentosan, but I keep to the same regimen.
    Click here before you buy.

I had better luck doing a series (one every 4 days for 28 days), then six months off. I think that is now the schedule more commonly recommended these days.

2 members found this post helpful.

I had luck doing the loading dose (7 shots spaced 4 days apart.... aka one every 4 days for 28 days) then one every 2 weeks.

Do the loading dose of one shot every 4 days for a month. Then do whatever you want. But just giving one shot every 2 weeks, or every month will just be throwing money away if you don't do the loading dose first.

Never heard of skipping the loading dose.

What I'm familiar with in my area is Q5 days for 4 weeks, then monthly thereafter. Anything else and I really believe your'e wasting your time and money.

I would definitely do the loading dose... just interested to hear about how people proceed after that and what sort of results they see.

Way back when I did the loading dose. Used to give it once a month, then twice a month. Since I am giving it to very elderly horses, we are now doing once a week. Seems to help old, arthritic joints.

We used Adequan on all of our racehorses. We would do a loading dose, then it would depend on the horse. If they were sound and we just did it on a preventative basis, they got it every 3 weeks to a month, depending on how often they were racing. We'd often try to time the injection to about 5 days before the race. If they had some issues and we were doing it for maintenance, they would get it religiously every 2 weeks regardless of when they were racing. We had one old campaigner (still racing at age 10 and still sound, although he did have some wear and tear on his joints) that got it every 10 days, plus Legend every month.

We did lots of other stuff too, in addition to Adequan and Legend. Everyone got MSM and glucosamine sulfate at the minimum.

Sheila
    Sheila Zeltt
    Chestnut Run Stable & Zeltt Racing Stable
    www.Zeltt.com
    Standing "Tiz Brian" at Stud, 16.1 h bay TB by Tiznow

Adequan is very expensive, so I wonder why you are considering giving a 21 yr old this course of treatment? Are you still riding the horse? Or is it retired?

Cheers
    Hyperion Stud, LLC.
    Europe's Finest, Made in America
    WWW.HYPERIONSTUD.com
    Standing Elite and Approved Stallions

When my old guy was that age, he responded extremely well to Adequan and it helped keep him feeling great for the work he was in. So, why not?

I do the loading dose, then give one shot as needed. Usually 3 days before I want the horse feeling in tip top shape (ie, before a big competition).

Quote Originally Posted by HyperionStudLLC View Post
    Adequan is very expensive, so I wonder why you are considering giving a 21 yr old this course of treatment? Are you still riding the horse? Or is it retired?

Cheers
    Why wouldn't you? If it works better than anything else, why shouldn't an old retired horse that gave you years of service have the same care as one you're currently riding?

3 members found this post helpful.

I initially did the loading dose (maybe 4 years ago?) and then monthly after that. I recently did another loading dose and then back to monthly again.

There's no study to support the monthly. I see as much argument for just doing the loading dose a couple of times a year. But I do personally feel I see a benefit from the follow up monthly. I am aware there's no data beyond anecdotal to support the efficacy.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

I just received and administered Adequan for my horse and the prescription label states give 1 vial every 4 days for a month and repeat in 6 mos. They don't recommend the once a month.

My vet said then do once a month, but the company does not recommend it. I do know some horses that need it again in 4 mos, but from what I've read the once a month is not recommended. I wonder if someone from the company can comment here?
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Quote Originally Posted by vxf111 View Post
    But I do personally feel I see a benefit from the follow up monthly. I am aware there's no data beyond anecdotal to support the efficacy.
    Anecdotal evidence is exactly what I'm looking for! I know it will be trial-and-error after the loading dose to see what works best for my guy, but it can't hurt to make an educated guess about where to start.

This horse is a competitive dressage horse in full work, and he is a total gem - great mover, team player, and even took my husband out to a few schooling shows at Intro last year! He has more than earned his Adequan already, and as long as he is happy and comfortable doing his work, we'll keep going.

Thanks for the responses, and keep 'em coming!

Quote Originally Posted by HyperionStudLLC View Post

Cheers
    He's a dressage horse with a big show season coming up. Thanks for your help.

1 members found this post helpful.

The only regimen that is "approved" is the one that went through the FDA approval process. That doesn't mean other means of using a drug don't work. One simply has to accept that a lot of veterinary medications don't have the weight of dozens of studies on thousands of subjects. Meds are used "off label" all the time, with both good and bad results. Because few people and vets keep databases, it is ALL basically bits of anecdotes that one must sift through.

FWIW, the mare I used Adequan on in monthly doses was eventing at Preliminary level until she was 18. It sure seemed to help her.

Quote Originally Posted by deltawave View Post
    The only regimen that is "approved" is the one that went through the FDA approval process. That doesn't mean other means of using a drug don't work. One simply has to accept that a lot of veterinary medications don't have the weight of dozens of studies on thousands of subjects. Meds are used "off label" all the time, with both good and bad results. Because few people and vets keep databases, it is ALL basically bits of anecdotes that one must sift through.

FWIW, the mare I used Adequan on in monthly doses was eventing at Preliminary level until she was 18. It sure seemed to help her.
    Good point for "off label use" out of curiosity did you try the loading dose every 4 to 6 mos ever or just the loading dose and then every month? It seems from what I've read in the studies that it takes up to 6 weeks to show effectiveness (and needs to be re administered in 4 to 6 mos.) Maybe the once a month keeps the level at a more steady amount instead of going to the point of having to re load the whole dose and start all over again.

Hope this makes sense. . .
    RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

When I started giving her Adequan I did use the loading dose once, then maintained her over 2+ show seasons with the monthly dose, given only April through October. I did not "re-load" her every spring. And I'm not saying that would not have been helpful--I was just economizing.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    I had better luck doing a series (one every 4 days for 28 days), then six months off. I think that is now the schedule more commonly recommended these days.
    This is what my vet recommends for preventative maintenance. For older arthritic horses she recommends 3-4x per year (7 shots each time).