The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default New Neighbor With Horses

I live in a rural/suburban neighborhood. It's an area that has a combination of brick and mortar houses and mobile homes. Several of these homes are on a few acres (1-5), but most just have an unfenced backyard. It is also a really low income area (lots of domestic disputes, drugs/Mexican cartel, trash everywhere, etc.) and we just had a guy killed a few blocks away two days ago (self defense, the guy attempted to rob a man's house after trashing his ex's truck and breaking her windows).

This neighbor and his family are from out of state and have two stallions (one's a QT and the other an Appy), plus several geldings and two mares. The man is right now keeping his stallion's in pens that are not very sturdy (the kind that you can break apart and put together to make bigger or smaller). The rest of the horses are in a big pen behind the house (one of the mare's is sperated due to a combination of eating slowly, being aggressive and in heat (saw winking/squirting).

I had been hearing horses calling for a while (only horse in the area is a QT mare) and decided to go see what was happening.

Several things about the guys setup/horses:

1. He only feeds "cubes" no hay or grain of any kind. When I was there I saw all the horses eating alfalfa cubes. He told me he was trying to get the FDA to allow him to import hay cubes.
    2. The QT stallion was so worked up he was throwing himself against the sides of the pen and frantically pacing/calling out. Him and the other stallion where in two pen's on in the front yard. He told me how he had to break a broom over a the Qut's head due him lounging/biting at him while trying to get him out of the trailer. This is a diagram of the place:

Pasture (geldings/mares)

House

Stallion pen

Stallion pen
    The house is on a busy road with a ton of "free range" children in the area. A family member had to worn a little girl (grade school age) not to come up and pet the horse. She obeyed and stood across the street staring at them.

3. Several lookes sorta ribby. He mentioned several had lost 100-200lbs due to the two day trailering. Is this a normal amount for a horse to loose? Again, no mineral blocks/supplements/wormers, just the green cubes.

The guy is a little bit different. Not "scary" different, just different. Sorta has an aspergers vibe (I've been around several). He has three or four other people with him (people where coming and going, so I couldn't really get a good count).

I just have a bad feeling about this.

What's a QT?

5 members found this post helpful.

Animal control! Animal control!

Or which ever entity is responsible for enforcing livestock and zoning rules. You have a potentially disastrous situation there.

You do not need USDA or FDA (which is? )approval to import hay cubes.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

1 members found this post helpful.

between the mountains and the sea, North Carolina

Um yeah, I'd have a bad feeling too.
    I may just be clueless, but what do you mean by QT?

It is normal for horses to loose weight traveling, but most of us compensate for that before and immediately after the journey. We do this by maybe giving some sort of preventive ulcer treatment, monitoring their feed before and after the journey, etc. Some particularly fussy horses don't like water in new situations either which doesn't help with weight loss and obviously overall healthiness. My guy was like that - he had electrolytes at shows and we put apple juice in his water to get him to drink. Journeys also stress horses out so some won't eat even if they have hay in the trailer, and take a few days to adjust to a new place.

There's probably not a whole lot you can do beyond checking your zoning laws. If livestock is not allowed then I'm sure Animal Control will be out ASAP, but otherwise unless there is actual cruelty unfortunately there's nothing really you can do . Be very careful not to put yourself in harms way either - does not sound like a great area!

If you feel comfortable I'd also encourage him to put some kind of signs on the horses paddocks (sounds like those are the Stallions?!!) which face the road warning kids not to pet them.
    "Choose to chance the rapids, and dare to dance the tides" - Garth Brooks
    "With your permission, dear, I'll take my fences one at a time" - Maggie Smith, Downton Abbey

I'm guessing QT is a quarter horse?
    Barn rat for life

The Big Horse

Where humidity isn't just a word, it's a way of life.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatie View Post
    I live in a rural/suburban neighborhood. It's an area that has a combination of brick and mortar houses and mobile homes. Several of these homes are on a few acres (1-5), but most just have an unfenced backyard. It is also a really low income area (lots of domestic disputes, drugs/Mexican cartel, trash everywhere, etc.) and we just had a guy killed a few blocks away two days ago (self defense, the guy attempted to rob a man's house after trashing his ex's truck and breaking her windows).

Wow, at least the new people are "horsey" and not new gang members moving in.

This neighbor and his family are from out of state and have two stallions (one's a QT and the other an Appy), plus several geldings and two mares. The man is right now keeping his stallion's in pens that are not very sturdy (the kind that you can break apart and put together to make bigger or smaller). The rest of the horses are in a big pen behind the house (one of the mare's is sperated due to a combination of eating slowly, being aggressive and in heat (saw winking/squirting).

If the stallions are at this point respecting their boundries, I'm not sure what the issue is. If they are getting out, there is a large issue and at that point I would hope local authorities would be contacted.

At least these new people seem to understand the importance of separating out those that need extra time to eat and/or those who are aggressive.

I had been hearing horses calling for a while (only horse in the area is a QT mare) and decided to go see what was happening.

Several things about the guys setup/horses:

1. He only feeds "cubes" no hay or grain of any kind. When I was there I saw all the horses eating alfalfa cubes. He told me he was trying to get the FDA to allow him to import hay cubes.

Cubes are hay, just processed and compressed. Plenty of people use them instead of hay, especially those packing into wildlife areas. They can be an issue for animals who tend to choke, but are satisfactory for many animals.
    I wonder if he is trying to get a specific type of hay brought in, and that is what he is taking about as far as importing?

2. The QT stallion was so worked up he was throwing himself against the sides of the pen and frantically pacing/calling out. Him and the other stallion where in two pen's on in the front yard. He told me how he had to break a broom over a the Qut's head due him lounging/biting at him while trying to get him out of the trailer.

Sounds like an animal in need of training and learning respect. It could also be the change in environment is upsetting the stud; a long trailer ride, new horses visible to him, not next to the same neighbor, mare in heat, who knows.
    Or he (the human) could be trying to "show off" or scare off a new neighbor that suddenly showed up.

This is a diagram of the place:

Pasture (geldings/mares)

House

Stallion pen

Stallion pen
    The house is on a busy road with a ton of "free range" children in the area. A family member had to worn a little girl (grade school age) not to come up and pet the horse. She obeyed and stood across the street staring at them.

As someone else suggested, maybe a friendly neighbor could point out the need to put up some signage to protect them.

As far as the family member and their child, the child should learn not to go up to strange horses; how many threads have there been about strange kids petting and feeding horses and how upset that makes people? Not to mention, I would hope the child would be told not to go onto a strange person's property, pretty ponies or not.

3. Several lookes sorta ribby. He mentioned several had lost 100-200lbs due to the two day trailering. Is this a normal amount for a horse to loose? Again, no mineral blocks/supplements/wormers, just the green cubes.

What is "sorta ribby"? To QH people, TBs are "sorta ribby". Hipbones sticking out, or a bit of rib showing along the side?

Losing weight on a long trailer ride isn't uncommon (while not a good thing, it happens). Especially with horses that aren't accustomed to balancing themselves on a moving surface; it takes alot of energy to do so until they learn how to compensate.

On the high side, thus guy recognized the fact that the animals have lost weight, and may be increasing the feed to make up for it. Not throwing a bunch of grain/new additives to animals that aren't used to it isn't a bad thing; if they are used to just hay (even cubes) increasing that will add the weight. And do you pay close enough attention to know for a fact that he isn't supplementing with grain?

The guy is a little bit different. Not "scary" different, just different. Sorta has an aspergers vibe (I've been around several). He has three or four other people with him (people where coming and going, so I couldn't really get a good count).

And? Compared to the local gang members, someone with Aspergers should be a pretty decent, quieter neighbor.

I just have a bad feeling about this.

While the red flags are something to look out for, why not give them the benefit of the doubt? The stud pens could be temporary until they get permanent pens made, the horses could gain weight, and all could be decent in the neighborhood.
    bolding mine.

3 members found this post helpful.

Also wondering what a QT is.

Here is my advice: Unless horses are breaking out, a 1-2 BCS, or lacking water, I wouldn't want to interfere yet. I would try to be nice, act friendly, and support the new neighbor. Then, down the line you will be in a better position to make some suggestions if need be.

How about this? MYOB

12 members found this post helpful.

I was thinking QT as in quarantining a possible new stallion?
    The one good thing about repeating your mistakes is that you know when to cringe.

I second MYOB. As an aside, I'd much prefer horse owning neighbors even if they aren't up to your "standards" than drug dealers and gang bangers.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I'm just worried he's going to get hurt by that stallion. His wife had to yell at him to get out of the studs pen when he was feeding him, the guy was oblivious of how the stallion was acting.

QT=Quarter Horse

I would MYOB if he wasn't in danger. He had no idea about how dangerous this place is. Several neighbors and me have clued him in on how this place is. He had no locks on his trailers, house (last owner took them off) or his pens. People will go around opening gates and letting stock out (happened to me when we moved in) and several houses in his immediate area have been broken into multiple times.

He is nice, loves his horses and is not mistreating them. We tend to get alot of horse owners out here who buy a horse(s) and then not take care of them and Animal Control has to come out and get them.

My landlord had a llama confiscated after it was neglected (no food, green water, halter 24/7 that grew into its face, etc.) and another person had horses in a "pasture" the size of a normal back yard full of cactus with green slime water.

My standards are that animals are fed properly, groomed (when needed) and aren't confined in tiny areas.

Quote Originally Posted by Goatie View Post
    Several neighbors and me have clued him in on how this place is.
    Then you have done your duty. He's an adult, free to make stupid or ignorant choices. If his choices clearly place others in danger, step in however you choose to. Otherwise, MYOB.

You must live in Texas!
    OTTB CONNECT
    FB group for all things related to non racing Thoroughbreds.. Click here to join ~~~> OTTB CONNECT

1 members found this post helpful.

Does your area have zoning or deed restrictions? For example, around here there are generally limits on number of horses per acre, and some areas restrict horses or livestock totally. On the other hand, I know there are places where pretty much anything goes.

have not heard Quarter horse abbreviated QT before....

But until you know he is a dolt, MYOB.

I knew here was nothing good coming when I read the title, after all: 2 horse people, three opinions.

You started out being worried ABOUT him, and now you're worried FOR him. Okaaaaay.

If the neighborhood is crappy let him know to lock everything, but otherwise let him be unless there's some huge problem like loose horses, or if he really does get hurt.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

2 members found this post helpful.

MYOB. Really, it sounds like you already live in the 'hood, which makes at least me wonder about YOU.

Who lives voluntarily where there are shootings, "cartel" , and people who regularly burg the place and set animals loose??
    COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

You must be in my neighborhood. Get used to it- the stallions accross the fence from me do OK.
    As for the rest of you , remember "you mess with me and you're messing with the whole trailer park"!

MYOB

Quote Originally Posted by TheJenners View Post
    MYOB. Really, it sounds like you already live in the 'hood, which makes at least me wonder about YOU.

Who lives voluntarily where there are shootings, "cartel" , and people who regularly burg the place and set animals loose??

LOL, touche!