The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

FWIW, I have been feeding 1/3 scoop beet pulp (soaked), 1/3 scoop ultium and 1/3 scoop alfalfa pellets dry for 2 years with 0 problems. My horse eats at a normal pace though, and doesn't gobble everything in .3 seconds.

I have been feeding 1/3 scoop beet pulp (soaked), 1/3 scoop ultium and 1/3 scoop alfalfa pellets dry for 2 years with 0 problems.
    Well, if you mix the dry ultium and dry pellets with soaked beetpulp, at least the pellets and ultium will get somewhat wet as well...

I do warm water, even in the summer. It just soaks faster that way. I only soak it a few minutes before I feed so it doesn't have time to go bad or anything like that. You could definitely soak it in cold water, it would just take longer I think.

Quote Originally Posted by SCMSL View Post
    Well, if you mix the dry ultium and dry pellets with soaked beetpulp, at least the pellets and ultium will get somewhat wet as well...
    This is very true! I fed them dry and by themselves before bridling for an ulcery horse as well with no issues. Now, hay CUBES we don't use at all. The only time I have used cubes in for Nose-It's for rehab.

I also do not soak alfalfa pellets and have never had an issue. They get fed dry, with TC Senior and rice bran, or a ration balancer in the summer...but I'm only feeding 1/2 pound or so of the pellets per meal.

If I were using cubes, the horse had a history of choke, or bolted it's feed...I would definitely soak. But with pellets and my slow eating mare? No problems in years of feeding them.
    Caitlin
    *OMGiH I Loff my Mare* and *My Saddlebred Can Do Anything Your Horse Can Do*
    http://community.webshots.com/user/redmare01

I fed them dry and by themselves before bridling for an ulcery horse as well with no issues.
    Thats also good to know. I compete, so if I ever find myself in a situation where its impossible to soak anything, I now know I can just feed them dry, minus the beetpulp.

I've also fed them dry, to the tune of a couple/3 pounds, so not a HUGE amount, but not just a cup either. The pellets I get are no harder than a typical pelleted feed - I can break them up by hand. There ARE some pellets that are fat and hard, so that might be a different story. Just see how easily you can break them up and decide if you need to soak them, but probably not (assuming no real choke risk )

Thats also good to know. I compete, so if I ever find myself in a situation where its impossible to soak anything, I now know I can just feed them dry, minus the beetpulp.
    I found that giving my horse alfalfa pellets after saddling but before bridling (so basically immediately before riding) and a few tums made a huge difference in his stomach when riding. He would get really uncomfortable sometimes when I rode, and I'm guessing it was acid splashing in places that weren't comfortable (maybe some reflux of some sort or at least splashing on the non mucosal parts). Hope that helps.

It helps tons. I've also dabbled with ulcer issues, so you're just giving me another coping mechanism.

It helps tons. I've also dabbled with ulcer issues, so you're just giving me another coping mechanism.
    I feel your pain! For years, we got little to no help regarding my horse's severe ulcers. It took lots of research to figure out a plan for him...of course now, he feels great that he doesn't get ridden or go to shows. We had him managed as well as possible for his 2 last competition years (at least as well as I can imagine for a show horse).