The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Our new toy!!

So a client of mine is a re-rider whose husband got burned by previous trainers and was soured to the thought of owning another horse. She's been riding off & on for about 15-16 years, loves it. She's been riding one of my sale horses and competing with him but hubby wouldn't budge on getting him. SO randomly I find a nice looking coming 3 year old OTTB looking for a home. Send her the picture for us to drool over.... long story short, he came home with us last night after a FABULOUS pre-purchase.

I'd just like to say, this is the sweetest baby I have ever dealt with. He has only been here a day and he's already charming everyone... keep waiting for the catch!

Here are some pictures of him from last night and our first ride this morning. He's only been off the track about 3 weeks.... how he ever ran I have no clue since I was kicking for the canter.

[the figure-8 isn't done up tightly, I wanted to use the bit on the bridle and was too lazy to switch it.]

http://www.pedigreequery.com/millennium+man4

Anyway, his new mom isn't crazy about his name, any suggestions out there? I think Treme is cute (we're from New Orleans so I like the NOLA themed names) but she isn't sold on it.

1 members found this post helpful.

That horse just advertises "sweet baby." I'm glad he found a home and can help these unsure owners regain their faith in the fun of HOing.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

2 members found this post helpful.

Just my kinda horse! He is such a cutie!!

Oh he's beautiful. Congrats to you and your client!!
    How people treat you is their KARMA.... how you REACT is yours!

Default I just picked up one...

OTTB Stallion, Actually won $50k on the track, almost need spurs to make him go... I think a lot of them realize when they leave the track, their done running. He's sweet, black bay, and hopefully my new jumper....BTW mine came with a decent name...
    " iCOTH " window/bumper stickers.
    http://bluemoongrafixva.webs.com

He does have such a kind eye
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

Very cute! He looks a lot like my gelding who also is a Cryptoclearance grandson. Mine is sweet, sensible, and quiet as well. Good luck with him....oh, and I like the name Zydeco, FWIW.

Very cute and I like the name Zydeco as well!!!

Zydeco is a cute name for a very cute boy! What a gem, his gaits are lovely. The rider is doing a great job a well, it is so nice to see riders with a good independent seat!

Oh he is CUTEEE nice job!

He doesn't look three, I'll say that. How tall?

She doesn't like his current name, and not a fan of the NOLA names. Does he respond to the current one enough that you need to go close or rhyme-y? And I'm honestly not clear, is her hers? Or yours? Or ?

I'd go with a people name for him myself. A Gabe or Ben, since he's so calm and smart looking.
    Aisha, my heart from 03/06/1986 to 08/22/2008.

COTH's official mini-donk enabler.
    Odie, aka the Evil Burrito, is on Facebook.

He is very cute. I have a friend with a horse named Zydeco. Name takes some getting used to. I call him Zydie. Have fun with this new guy!
    “Be yourself; everyone else is already taken.”
    ¯ Oscar Wilde

My sister lives in Treme (we're Uptown natives, but she moved there after college). I'd never thought of it as a horse name, but I love it!

Thanks everyone!

Client decided on Zydeco, we call him Z for short. He didn't come with a name, the lady who rescued him (he was headed to Mexico after his last race) started calling him Treme because the owners she got him from never told her his barn name. I loved Treme but I also really like Zydeco.

He is my client's, not mine (though I'd totally take him off of her hands). He looks like he'll be headed to hunter land (he has that trot with steel shoes!) which makes his new owner thrilled.

She rode him for the first time today (I rode him in the pictures yesterday) and just LOVED him. This is her first OTTB.

3 members found this post helpful.

Mr. Prospector is way back on him but gosh I love seeing him in the lines when I look at race ponies. I've never met one that disappointed me yet.

Lovely head and a great eye. Good luck to his new people.
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

Since it sounds like her husband finally got on board with the new horse, why not ask his input on a barn name? Worst case, there has to be a player on his favorite NFL/NBA/NHL team with a first name that would suit.

I have an OTTB - rescue from a bad situation, he was 18 when i got him (they were starving him, he was in a field in the winter for 4 months with no food, worming, etc). He's a fabulous guy. I bought him out of pity, kept him becuase he's so slow and fabulous. Takes a lot of leg to make him trot, and he only is goofy at canter on the rare occasion, if it's been a while since he's been worked.

We didn't find out he was an OTTB until we took him to the vet one time as a companion for another horse we were hauling, and they checked him over while he was there and found a lip tattoo. I never even thought of checking for one.

Zydeco (Z!) is headed to his first show tomorrow for a field trip. He will be playing in the trot over X's clear rounds at a local schooling show. His canter is getting soo soft & he's learning to stretch down at the trot. What a fun baby!

Have fun!
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/