The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default For those of you who remember Corky...

It is with a very, very heavy heart that I write here to say that Corky is at the animal hospital with lung cancer, and is not expected to make it.

Most of you would remember Corky from our 2009 back page Practical Horseman article about how when we both got sick, we recuperated together. I came to COTH to ask about what picture I should use, and you all were so nice!

Corky was most definitely my heart horse, and though he has gone through a few owners since I've had him, (most recently a very sweet 13-year-old girl), he will forever hold a humongous part of my heart.

I've never lost a horse before, and even though he's not technically mine anymore, I can't even begin to say how terrible it feels.

When I was deathly ill in the ICU at 16, Corky was the reason I wanted to get better. When I went into surgery, I clutched a goofy picture of him to my chest, (and everyone who knows him knows that nearly every picture of him is goofy!)

He is being put down on Monday, and his former owner and I are going to visit him today at the hospital and say goodbye. I did not see this day coming anytime soon...he's only 13.

I thought I'd share a few pictures so you can all see why I loved this beast so much...he was such a love.

(Let me know if you can't see the pictures...I'm terrible at Facebook.)

https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?...type=3&theater

Quote Originally Posted by MistyPony View Post
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

Default Thoughts and prayers & tears (hugs) for YOU and everyone who loved this Sweet Boy

* Thoughts and prayers & tears ((hugs)) for You and everyone who loves this handsome horse ~

Jingles & AO your Saturday visit is peaceful and loving ~

Thanks for sharing your lovely photos ~

Again ((hugs)) and prayers laced with strength and peace ~

Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"

So sorry. He looks like a beautiful horse.

So sorry for your loss. He's a beautiful boy (and looks to be a very sweet soul, too). I'll be thinking of you on Monday.

I am so sorry to hear. That is so young, not that it is any easier to lose an older heart-horse.

Condolences. He was lucky to have you.
    Hidden Echo Farm, Carlisle, PA -- home of JC palomino sire Canadian Kid (1990 - 2013) & AQHA sire Lark's Favorite, son of Rugged Lark.

Quick update: Corky's former owner, (a close friend of mine), and I went to go visit him at the hospital this afternoon and say goodbye. He was very happy to eat some carrots, and was his usual feisty self, which made me feel much better.

The lung cancer was very recently diagnosed, and I'm very proud of his owners for making the right decision to not let him suffer. It was extremely sad to say goodbye, but I know that he's off to a much, much better place.

Thank you for all the well-wishes, everyone.
    In all my years of riding, gravity is the one thing that has never failed on me!

Condolences and {{{{{{{ HUGS }}}}}}} He'll be all better after he gets across The Bridge.

I remember Corky I am so sad for you I'm so sad for the new owner and Corky may he rest in peace

Quote Originally Posted by giddybiddy View Post

The lung cancer was very recently diagnosed, and I'm very proud of his owners for making the right decision to not let him suffer. It was extremely sad to say goodbye, but I know that he's off to a much, much better place.
    My condolences, he looks like such a sweet horse..may I ask how on earth you detect lungcancer in a horse?

Quote Originally Posted by LucyShow View Post
    My condolences, he looks like such a sweet horse..may I ask how on earth you detect lungcancer in a horse?
    His former owner and I had the same question...I thought "Is he smoking cigarettes behind the barn at night?!" When we talked to the vet tech, it made a lot more sense. He had a high fever, so the vet came out to the barn and did an x-ray, and they found masses in his lungs, which led to the diagnosis of pneumonia. They took him to the hospital and gave him a course of antibiotics to treat supposed pneumonia, and when he did not get better and the fevers got higher, they decided to do a biopsy of his lungs. This is when they found the cancer cells, and the lung cancer diagnosis was made. If he hadn't had the high fever, I wonder if they would have detected it...he seemed to be pretty asymptomatic otherwise. Very strange, but he's lucky they found it before it was too late.

(((((Lots of Hugs)))))). I'm so sorry.

This is the strangest thing. When I was a teenager (a long, long time ago), my Children's Hunter was a QH named Corky...which is why I opened this thread. I was not yet back into horses in 2009 and didn't remember the PH article. I opened your pictures and darned if your Corky doesn't look a lot like my Corky...the steel gray with the brownish/rustish tones. Great looking horse . I'm very sorry to hear about his illness .