The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 13 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

oh yeah,i want to know more.... dh and i have finally made the decision to leave our beauteous place in vermont for a place that suits our life style better. we no longer ski much,prefering to kayak and trailride. so our dream farm has frontage on a navigable body of water and quick and easy access to a good trail system. it sounds as though a nice big pond or small lake in the mountains of virginia may be best for us,,would there be less humidity there? we are fine with snow,,but wilt too easily in the heat. does anyone here know of nelson county? i read an article about what a rural place it was in western virginia. my dh and i are taking an exploratory trip out there and to west virginia this summer. any areas we should especially check out or avoid? thanks,,i can't wait to join y'all!

Welcome!

We love it here, too

I can't say that Virginia is less humid in summer than Vermont -- where are you in VT? We have a place in Woodstock.

In VA, we are in Western Loudoun County, the most rural area I could find that is still commutable to DC (for the very brave only). If you don't have to commute, I'd say go farther west or south. Rappahonock county is gorgeous; so is Fauquier County (Warrenton, Orlean, etc).

re where to dine in Middleburg -- try the Hunter's Head. Yum.

Hunter's Head is in Upperville.

In Middleburg, my favorite is Backstreet Cafe. The Coach Stop is ok, and has longer hours, but they do allow smoking in there. Red Fox Inn is a bit too pricey for me most of the time.

I love Backstreet Cafe though.

Mel

Default So VOILA! The place has been set ...

Quote Originally Posted by YankeeLawyer
    re where to dine in Middleburg -- try the Hunter's Head. Yum.
    Now, all we have to worry about is a time! Oh, and a date would help.

C'mon guys. Let's toss some days around...
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

welcome to va, i live in the middle penninsula, down the road from where the hell am i, va, i love where i live, i'm between the mattaponi and rapphannock rivers, not too far from the bay. i've lived in the midwest and northeat, i'll never go back, i have a little peice of heaven here

Default Lucky you

We live in Ontario and just returned from a trip (hubby is a golfer) to Hilton Head in SC. Between there and back we went through 9 States. Our most favourite States were Virginia and West Virginia, wow, beautiful, the mountains, fresh air, tall trees, room to ride and raise horses.....just crying out to equestrians everywhere.

It's so wonderful to hear how happy you are OMOM
    I know how long it's been. The place sounds beautiful. I'll try to get down after I get back from California. Give your beautiful mare a hug for me.......and maybe a carrot too.
    I support and enable the USA bred horse and the USA breeder.

Did I hear Hunter's Head!?! I used to live down the road from there and LOVE that place!

I am definitely in if y'all are talking about going. I could live there, their food is so good.

Grew up in VA and love this place especially when we were living in the Middleburg area. Just a great area and hubby definitely wants to move back some day.

My plug for MIddleburg food is Mello OUt. Now that are some great paninis and cupcakes. Anyone eaten at Tiramisu yet?

YL- How are your babies doing? Such cuties!
    Grab mane and kick on!

www.rocksolid-training.com

Default It's not only the horses ...

Quote Originally Posted by lorik
    It's so wonderful to hear how happy you are OMOM
    I know how long it's been. The place sounds beautiful. I'll try to get down after I get back from California. Give your beautiful mare a hug for me.......and maybe a carrot too.
    ...because this place is chockablock FULL of critters, but the people (like those here) have welcomed me with open arms. What a delight ... what an honor. *blush*

I sure feel like a little tiny minnow in a great big ocean, but I'm surrounded by the very best, people who've accomplished a lot over the years: dressage, eventing, hunters, jumpers.

Like the title says, I've died and gone to heaven! Ohhhhhhhh yeaaaah.
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

Hubby and I just passed through Middleburg and it was several years since I have been, and I remember it being out in the middle of no where and boy has it grown!!

Congrats on your move!!
    \"Horses do good things for us.\"

Wow. Am I late on the bandwagon or what?!
    Welcome welcome Old. Mom. I've been here almost 20 years and still pinch myself when I wake each morning. Do make sure to get the Fauquier Democrat newspaper to keep up with all the news.
    Hunter's Head is great but its rather small for what seems like a big group. Has a date or time been set? I'd love to join the fete.
    And, Old. Mom, I still can't quite get where you're living?? Middleburg??? I'm in Rappahannock County between Flint Hill, Orlean and Hume.
    * www.huntersrest.net -- Virginia hunt country's best Bed-and-Breakfast-and-Barn.

Default Welcome OMom!

native virginian chiming in there's a line from a play called 'the zoo story' - "Sometimes you have to go a long distance out of the way to come back a short distance correctly." we spent years shopping the entire country (nc, nm, co, ca, or, mt, id, wy) before buying at the foot of the blue ridge. saw some beautiful places but nothing else measured up for year-round horsey compatibility.

welcome - and when you are ready for a ride into the Shennandoah National Park send me an email!
    * trying hard to be the person that my horses think i am

Well, if I am required to attend, it better be a place with a phantom outside in breeding season and the dress needs to be real casual... as in mud, hair, slobber, & sweat - รก la carte Unlike my horses, I don't clean up well, and only attempt under strong protest

hell-ooooooo OMOM.....are you there???????? Me thinks you owe me a phone call???????
    PROUD MEMBER OF THE \"OMGiH I LOFF MY MARE\" CLIQUE

Quote Originally Posted by flyingchange
    Where else but Middleburg can you buy a copy of COTH at checkout line in Safeway? Right next to the National Enquirer?
    That makes it official - you're in heaven. I'm jealous too, have always wanted to live in VA.

Default Hey OMom!

Welcome to the 'hood!
    If you must choose between two evils, choose the one that you've never tried before.

Bravo OM! - at last!

I am one of the faithful and old timers. Although I now live in NC, I am up every six weeks or so to visit dear old ma, who lives in Middleburg. AS she is dear old ma, I don't stay with her but at Welbourne.
    I love Hunter's Head and Back Street, if only becuase I have known Jay for so long!
    I want to meet La Gringa too, as well as the other COTH regulars! I have tentative plans to be up for the Middleburg races - althought the ground is so hard, I wonder if anyone is going to chance running their horses?

Anyhoo, if you are making up dates for a lunch, let me know!

Welcome to VA! Happy to have you!!

So when, where is the COTH get-together going to be??