The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Welcome, welcome! Enjoy the southern hospitality, the beautiful scenery (there aren't many places in VA that are beautiful!), and the large horse community! I've spent the majority of my life in VA (Richmond) and consider myself a real Virginian (ok...I don't admit this too often, but I was actually born in WI, but I tend to be much more like my mum's side of the family, which is very southern). I spent the last three years living in Maryland, and even just crossing that beautiful Potomac was horrible for me! I am now back in my sweet home state, and LOVE IT. Even with all the crazy NOVA stuff, I am happy as a little clam, and I've only moved about 20 miles!

Welcome and enjoy!!!!

Thumbs up Welcome!

Welcome to Virginia! We also love it here - been here for 14 years and still love it. This morning on our way to a show, we passed so many horse trailers going all different directions - there were so many shows today around the area. I remember just this morning thinking about how blessed we are to live in an area where there are an abundance of horses, barns, shows, and horsey loving people!

I wish you years of happiness in our friendly state as well!

Welcome to the Old Dominion!

I moved here from Maryland not quite a year ago, and I'm seriously in love with my part of the state. I'm near Lynchburg/Roanoke, so can see the Blue Ridge Mountains off in the distance from the back of my property.

There are so many horses around here, that we're practically tripping over each other. And even the folks who don't have horses are more than willing to talk about yours, which I think is very intelligent of them!
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Welcome,
    I live as far east in Virginia as one go. WE are 10 minutes from the Atlantic. We also have horses all around us. I lived 8 years in the western part of the state as a child. I spent 4 years at Sweet Briar and my parents had a home in Wintergreen for almost 20 years. I must admit I like the mountains more then the ocean. There is so much to see and do.

Welcome!!!

www.briarwoodfarm.us

Wow! What a LOT of company! I have to say, I haven't been this happy in YEARS, simply years.

My beautimous mare went to her new home today, and everyone was so nice... and so complimentary. Not a smidgen of jealousy, not a worry of insecurity. Just wonderful, kind, folks. The way it's supposed to be. A fellow boarder came up just as we were playing with the girl... with a lovely lovely gelding, announcing the details of her day. And it was all good about her boy, working with a BNT ... she was simply delighted and I was delighted for her.

*happy sigh*

Tomorrow I'm going to try and have some sandwiches with Saddlefitter. And admire her place ... and horses. What a nice thing to be welcomed so warmly by so many. It makes me smile ...

Oh, and in case you were wondering? As I cleaned the stalls tonight, I looked out at the hills ... and the sun going to bed. It was streaming through the clouds at one point ... and I thought my heart would break at the beauty.

I guess, maybe, what goes around really does come around... (geddit???)

p.s. LLDM ... didn't your mother ever tell you everyone hates an itoldyouso?
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

Quote Originally Posted by Janet
    Are you going to come to the Ernest DIllon clinic in Nokesville next weekend? I'd love to meet you.
    Nope. I AM going to be going to the Lisa Wilcox clinic at Mary Flood's place. BTW, what a really delightful person MF is! And her property... OMGiH! It's simply stunningly beautiful. I cannot imagine how much hard work she has put into that place!!!

BTW, Janet, you ARE the Janet I already know, right? We had lunch at the last PVDA Breed show ... remember?
    "For God hates utterly

Quote Originally Posted by Oldenburg Mom
    Nope. I AM going to be going to the Lisa Wilcox clinic at Mary Flood's place. BTW, what a really delightful person MF is! And her property... OMGiH! It's simply stunningly beautiful. I cannot imagine how much hard work she has put into that place!!!

BTW, Janet, you ARE the Janet I already know, right? We had lunch at the last PVDA Breed show ... remember?
    Nope. Not me (not I?) I have never been to a PVDA Breed show.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Ahhh...welcome to VA! I escaped here from Ohio 25 years ago. I remember the exact moment I knew I was in heaven...was sitting in my living room and saw a hound in my front yard, followed moments later by a whip in a scarlet coat. I ran outside lickety-split...couldn't believe I was seeing stuff I'd only read about in the Chronicle prior to that!!!!! Foxhunters right in my yard!!! No looking back after that.

I have lived in Tidewater, Reston, Dumfries, Hamilton, Leesburg, Middleburg, Delaplane, and now Rappahannock. Haven't seen a rural area yet in VA that wasn't gorgeous. Congrats on finding your way here, OM...you ever get out on any Hunt Trail rides out this way and see me on my big mule, come say hi!
    I ride a mule. I paint dogs.

And we are so very glad you are here!!

Where else can you end up helping round up loose horses with people you don't even know while just happening to drive down a country road? Or be standing in line at the feed store dressed in your barn mucking best and be standing next to some "celebrity" dressed just as "well" as you are?
    Not to mention having the best shows, medical facilities and research groups right in your backyard.
    Love it!

Lol!
    I'm from a relatively horsey part of MD, but VA is way more so...is there really anywhere else but 29 that you can drive down and find at least 6 trailer dealers??? I'm in Lynchburg for school and the barn I ride at has the blue ridge mountains in the distance...soo gorgeous. First time we turned my horse out he just stared at the mountains for maybe 8 minutes. It was awesome.

OM, glad to see you settling in! Next time you are driving by, just stop in. I am here 99% of the time. Virginia is wonderful as we actually have 4 seasons, each just about 3 months. Maybe the seasons were INVENTED in Virginia

Smile

Wow that sure does sound nice. Much in the way of American Saddlebred action? I loooove seeing lots of trailers

Default Welcome to Virginny, OMOM!

Quote Originally Posted by McLeanHunterRider
    Where else can you have mountains, the ocean, and everything in between?
    Exactly why I love VA!
    I've lived in the Tidewater area my entire life, and other then NC, I can't see living anywhere else.

North Carolina is pretty nice, too! (Where's that pouty face icon when you need it!)
    Only one cat - must not be totally crazy yet!

Ahhhh, Middleburg. I've spent the day recalling an incident at the Rex Fox (Oldenburg Mom- right on a corner of the main street in Middleburg- fantastic food, although the price is a little steep and it's not somewhere you head when you've just been at a stable- you should try it for a nice dinner sometime!) I was sitting there in my opera-length (longer than ankle length) beautiful new black dress, that opens up in the front with sheer layers and has beaded designs on it- in short, something black or white tie. My mum was taking a couple pictures and the man next to us offered to take some. I was enjoying some fillet mignon (sp)- GET THAT fillet mignon, OM!

"I'll beat as pretty as you look now, you're on a horse every morning."

Ahhhhhhh, Middleburg. As I always say- Middleburg wants to make you throw your arms open and give life a big hug.
    <><

Welcome! I came to Virginia as a fledgling Hokie back in 1991 and have never been able to leave. There's just something about this state. Afterall, Virginia is for [horse] lovers, right?

Well, shucks.

Folks, I think we're just going to have to organize a little get together over in Middleburg! Weekend, weekday, whateverday suits everyone is just fine by me.

Have lunch and a bottle of wine at ... ?? Anyone? Fairview, you will be REQUIRED to attend. LLDM, I loff you dear ... and will be calling you as soon as I find my cell phone. You DO know I was kidding, right? Right? RIGHT? Can you make the trip and join us????

Let the call go forth ... LUNCH In Middleburg! All pictures of all participants horses are the price of admission. Don't have a camera, BORROW one. Don't have any friends, ... DRAW ONE!!!!

Hey, maybe we could also incorporate a SWAP MEET ... in the parking lot afterwards?
    "For God hates utterly

Are drive-ins welcome???? PUHLEEEZZZ???
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

Ei's ... SURE! Just show up!!!

BTW, Ei's and LLDM. I've LOST my cell phone... RATS. Call me at home 540 822 5804.
    "For God hates utterly

I live in Chantilly, VA but I ride in Anytown, USA

Default Welcome

I've lived here nearly 35 years and I still love it here. Whenever I go out on a trail ride in Middleburg or hunt out there, I think to myself how blessed I am to have riding as my sport and Virginia to do it in. There is no better place to ride.

And our horses are so spoiled -- they actually have grass to graze on. So many places you see, like California or parts of Texas and Florida don't have real grass or it is sand-based and the horses are used to hanging out in dirt lots. I love how most places here all have nice lush grass (although nothings quite grown in fully just yet due to the lack of rain) to crop.

Enjoy our paradise.

"If you have the time, spend it. If you have a hand, lend it. If you have the money, give it. If you have a heart, share it." by me