The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 13 12311 ... LastLast

Default I've DIED and gone to heaven NEW Dinner with Reg on 7-4 ???

Well, it's been about a month (actually more like 6 weeks.) since I bid the TZ goodbye and moved to paradise.

As I sit here typing this I am looking at the sun peeking through the clouds, and purple hills outlined in the distance. The pasture is green and rain fell last night and perfumed the air ... it is quiet.

The horses are eating their breakfast, my new kittie, Miss Lily Tomlin, is hiding under the bed (she's just been de-kittenized) and I am getting ready for my day to start...in earnest.

Horses will be turned out, then I need to telephone Saddle Fitter VA ... the list is endless, of course.

Viriginia is WONDERFUL. Everywhere you go, there is a horse, ... you drive down the street an never fail to see someone hauling. Everyone seems to think, live and breathe horses. I talk to someone at the grocery store about "where are the pickles?" and the conversation evolves to horses.

I think God must have made Virginia just for horse people ... oh, and everyone is sooooooooo NICE!!! So delightfully polite! I went to The Tack Box in Middleburg! OMGiH ... not a snooty one in the bunch. Soooo helpful.

So, I guess I'm asking for formal admission into the "OMGiH I LOFF Virginia Clique!" I feel so very privileged.
    Last edited by Oldenburg Mom; Jun. 29, 2006 at 11:16 PM.
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

I'm so jealous OMOM. I'd *love* to be able to move to VA

Welcome!
    <><

You lucky dog. And where in Virginia is this horse lovers paradise? Could I afford to move there if I could drag my Boston loving husband down there?
    Missouri Fox Trotters-To ride one is to own one

Standardbreds, so much more then a harness racing horse.

Where else but Middleburg can you buy a copy of COTH at checkout line in Safeway? Right next to the National Enquirer?

Shucks, OakesBrae, I'm a hoosier ... it isn't much different, just LOTS more horses!!

RoyalTRider!!! Thank you!! Where are you?

Cashela ... well it's probably about the same as what you're accustomed to ... with more southern accent, and less Bbostonian!
    "For God hates utterly

Default OMG ... that's SOOOOOO true!!! May I please quote you ...

Quote Originally Posted by flyingchange
    Where else but Middleburg can you buy a copy of COTH at checkout line in Safeway? Right next to the National Enquirer?
    on that for my location??? I LOVE IT!!! Don't worry, I'll give you the credit. TOOO funny.
    "For God hates utterly

You must be a hoosier from a different area of this land - I'm in the West where the land is flat as a pancake, the weather is so weird that you have to have a winter coat, t-shirt, raincoat and sunscreen with you EVERY day lest you be unprepared from minute to minute - and the humidity chills you to the bone in the winter and STIFLES you in the summer (where else can the humidity be 100% and it NOT BE RAINING?????)

Of course, I'm a pennsylvanian by origin, so I'm used to seeing at least a few rolling hills. Where I live, I can see HOURS in each direction the flatness is so...flat.

I did the same thing a few years ago. I moved to VA from Arizona. Best decision of my life. I am in heaven too!! I love it here!!

I am originally from Calif, and do like some elements of CA, but really, I prefer green grass, horse pastures, and 4 seasons. I also love that you can just plant things in the ground here and they GROW! Not much watering needed. (I'm a landscape architect, had to design irrigation systems out west, as well as landscape plans.. so this is nice!)

I have 3 horses and love everything about VA.
    One of a Kind Studio
    Fine Art Paintings, Horses, Dogs, Wildlife and anything else that inspires.

New convert to the cow horse world.. love my QH mare.

mjnauset1 Guest

I retired to Virginia from Michigan because we actually have spring here and it has already started. The first time I visited Middleburg the owner of the bookstore offered me a job and several years later I joined the staff. We would have riders come in right from hunting, Olympians looking for all sorts of books and many authors including Dick Francis. One of the weirdest thing I read in the paper was an article about a missing pony from a field and three months later it was found drinking out of a stream. Where else can you live on the East Coast where no one notices a stray pony?

MJ

Quote Originally Posted by Oldenburg Mom
    on that for my location??? I LOVE IT!!! Don't worry, I'll give you the credit. TOOO funny.
    Of course! You don't have to give me credit though.

Ok, CONGRATULATIONS!!! You are not too far from me in Maryland. You know, I have to say, when I was in California, that is one of the things I missed, seeing horse trailers, lots of them, as I drive down the road. Here in Maryland, I see them everyday. In Cali, I saw them occasionally if I went on a long road trip, but not daily.
    ~Amy~ TrakehNERD clique
    *Bugs 5/86-3/10 OTTB Mare* RIP lovely Lady, I miss you
    *Frodo '03 Anglo Trakehner Gelding*
    My Facebook

Sounds heavenly, Oldenburg Mom! Just heavenly! Lucky you!!!

I am thrilled for you......Wish I had been here before your "escape".....
    Miss you already....
    Bob sized kisses......
    We'll just have to have phone-coffee.....
    Go, Baby, Go......
    Aefvue Farms Footing Inspector

What's the real estate like?

Lucky you!!!! Have fun over there in Virginia!!!!!
    Will get a dream horse!
    More riding, swimming, and rowing, less posting

Quote Originally Posted by La Gringa

, but really, I prefer green grass, horse pastures, and 4 seasons. I also love that you can just plant things in the ground here and they GROW! Not much watering needed.

This had me laughing... I have said those exact words! We just made an offer (accepted) on a place in Kentucky for the same reasons... now our house just has to sell!!
    Life is short, do it now. www.dleestudio.com
    OTTB's
    My CANTER cutie, Steely Dan - IL
    My Exceller cutie, Ace (aka FiftyThreeCards)- NY

Oldenburg Mom- sounds like pretty near where you are! Send me over a PT with some more details, and I'll tell you how close we are!

It's an honour to have you here- I've always enjoyed reading your posts. If you're as near as I think you are, you'll need to join me in a couple months to hang out at a polo match, another aspect of Middleburg life!
    <><

I TOLD YOU SO!!!!!!!!!!

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Having lived in VA most of my life, I can say that it truly is a georgous state. Where else can you have mountains, the ocean, and everything in between? Although I don't live in a horsey part of VA (the DC suburbs aren't exactly "horse-friendly" ), I attend a very horsey college in the beautiful rolling foothills of the Blue Ridge in (guess where?) VA. Welcome to VA, and enjoy our lovely state!

Are you going to come to the Ernest DIllon clinic in Nokesville next weekend? I'd love to meet you.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).