The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I do most of my riding in wooded areas, and I tend not to go out when it's very windy. We have a lot of White Pines in the area. They are a brittle tree and tend to shed a lot of branches. I prefer to stay away from them when the wind picks up. No sense taking unnecessary chances.

1 members found this post helpful.

I didn't think the wind would bother him...we ride right next to his pasture and he's out in it all the time. It's me who has the problem with it. But for what we're doing...just paddling around a bit...it's just fine. Not like we're working on perfecting our piaffe, just a little walk-trot with submission!

Quote Originally Posted by caballero View Post
    Are you riding on the road itself or on the shoulder? I have room to ride on the shoulder so I usually ride so that traffic is oncoming on my side.

I like to be able to see what's coming without turning my head.
    On the shoulder and we have nice wide shoulders. I try to follow the law and ride with traffic unless there is a difference in which shoulder is safest. There is one washed out area where I switch over.

Quote Originally Posted by SmartAlex View Post
    On the shoulder and we have nice wide shoulders. I try to follow the law and ride with traffic unless there is a difference in which shoulder is safest. There is one washed out area where I switch over.
    I think those laws apply only when you ride on the vehicular lane.

Even if they don't, my safety comes before obedience of some law probably written by someone whose ass has never wiped a saddle.

We love windy rides on the field and Prairie. The forest is a big no; the cracking and crashing down of limbs is a real danger to horse and rider.

On the coast we would never ride if we didn't ride when it is blowing a steady 15 to 30 mph. Of course it does help keep the mosquitoes away in the summer!

I think those laws apply only when you ride on the vehicular lane.

Even if they don't, my safety comes before obedience of some law probably written by someone whose ass has never wiped a saddle.
    I'm in NY, and here is my applicable law:
    1262. Riding on roadways, shoulders and horse paths

(a) Upon all roadways, horses shall be ridden or led either near the right hand curb or edge of the roadway or upon a usable right-hand shoulder, lane or path in such a manner as to prevent undue interference with the flow of traffic.

Available state laws are listed here: http://asci.uvm.edu/equine/law/roads/roads.htm

As I said, it's highly likely the people who write these laws have absolutely no earthly idea of what it is like to ride a horse on or near a road. It's almost as likely they have never been on a horse at all.

I'll ride where I judge it safest for my horse and I, laws notwithstanding.

My little arab is a ball of fun in windy weather. Lots of scary things lurking in the trees and bushes. Those are usually the days where we just try to take a leisurely ride without any surprises.

I love the little snorty snuffly noises he makes when it's windy.

OP, are you in MN? Today started out mild, but in a few hours the wind here in the Twin Cities got down right nasty 35 mph+. It was so loud outside!!

This afternoon I walked my mare down the road & home after my lesson & I couldn't hear a dang thing. Kept looking around for cars. Horse tried to dance all the way home (horses at trainer's barn were all running about). Even with my glasses on, I kept getting stuff in my eye. So I was blind & deaf, horse was up. Luckily it is not a busy road. ugh.

Once we got home, her buddies outside were also in a tizzy & I was inside trying to untack, etc. Horse was a nutter on the ties, calling, etc. Again, the sound was deafening.

She was wearing a cooler over her tack & before we left the arena I made damn sure that thing was fastened down well b/c I have had one blow up around a horse's head once (luckily he was an angel, this one might not have been).

I usually have no issues riding outside in all weather, in fact I like it cold, but today I would have thought twice about hacking out (pretty flat around here).

I never hesitate to ride if it's windy, but we may opt to stay in the (outdoor) arena as opposed to a trail ride.
    *friend of bar.ka

"Evidently, I am an unrepentant b*tch, possible trouble maker, and all around super villian"

I'm in south-central Michigan. I think this wind *storm* covered the entire upper mid-west and Great Lakes area. Blowing even worse out there last night and today.

Depends on the day that the wind is blowing. A hot summer day, stagnant from the humidity...any type of breeze or wind is a welcomed relief. A day where the temperature is not "frost bite in 3 minutes cold" and a brisk wind picks up...not going to ride, thank you every much. A spring or fall day, brisk wind, not going to ride, just asking for trouble. I can tell from the way my herd looks on any given windy day, whether it's a good day to ride or not. All that said, at my place, we have a lot of woods, and deer, and coyote, oh, and bear, and wild turkey. When the wind is up, the horses appear to get confused as to where the danger may be coming from. My guys are not spooky per se, but they seemed to get upset that they can't hear where the noises are coming from, and as a result, they get spooky, on high alert for the bogey man. There are 365 days in the year and many days to ride, I choose not to ride in the high wind.
    Today is the last day for at least a week that we can ride, due to extreme cold heading this way ....minus 25 c as a HIGH( think about -13f) and it's really windy.....not going to the barn.
    "My doctrine is this, that if we see cruelty or wrong that we have the power to stop, and do nothing, we make ourselves sharers in the guilt.”
    ― Anna Sewell

As I said, it's highly likely the people who write these laws have absolutely no earthly idea of what it is like to ride a horse on or near a road. It's almost as likely they have never been on a horse at all.
    Which is why, on windy days, I ride against traffic.

I feel like I am always riding with my head cocked to the side if I am in a lesson when it is windy!! Besides that, I wear my TR winter pants (pretty darn wind proof) and a thin headband to keep my ears warm.

I don't MIND riding in the wind but it does bother me during lessons when I can barely hear!

Absolutely. It's a great training opportunity to me -- we have had HT's with 30 mph winds, so we better be able to ride in it, LOL. Actually, I can't think of conditions when we DON'T ride outside except perhaps if everything was covered in a solid sheet of ice. Sleet, snow, rain, wind, mud, we're like old-school mailmen, it just makes my horse a better, stronger athlete.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    We would never get to ride outside if we didn't ride when the wind blows.

It has to get about 40+ mph before we get out of the wind and by then the dust storms make it hard to see and miserable to try to stand up to that, much less ride.
    Horses don't seem to mind the wind much, they stand out there and graze thru dust storms.
    Yesterday we had a "nice" day with 30 mph, got much done anyway.
    Today, less wind, wonderful!

Then, there is a reason we are part of a wind farm.
    This is exactly how it is where I live. Wrap-around sunglasses are your friend. I'll admit I have looked into the oaklys goggles for motorcycle riders.

I usually ride. I have been riding in the past and had jumps blow over in the ring. I figure my mare needs to be prepared for the real world.