The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fetlock rings.....who has used them?

Ok! So....we've been very involved in diagnostics for my boy and evaluating ambiguous lameness on again off again.....

Some of the things we have tried to take out of the mystery on our journey: decided to put him on a good feed thru joint supplements. (no harm, no foul)

decided to put back shoes on for support/low heels....(again, no brainer and no negative .....) EXCEPT:

this guy is base narrow....and will interfere hind to hind between fetlock and coronet where any boot wouldn't protect. This doesn't happen every stride, or even every ride...but it does happen-----so, when we opted for hind shoeing, I knew I'd have to protect that area now from the metal edge, (as he was barefoot in back before ) and the nail heads. OK. good plan. But I've never used fetlock rings before....have any of you? please share if so. I googled on them, and one person was commenting that? someone advised her she should only? use one at a time. Ok, that? wouldn't work for me, as he can knock one leg or the other, not just a particular one all the time? But, I don't wanna have him face plant if he gets tripped up behind either! (ok, not funny....but did want some input!) thanks!
    ayrabz
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem"
    --Jimmy Buffett

I would first address the shoeing, to be sure it is as good as possible to avoid interfering.

If that only happens while riding and not that often, I wonder if protective wraps or boots may not be a better solution?

I guess it would not hurt to try those.
    If you do, let us know how that worked for your horse.

Bluey...I really do appreciate the input. I guess with each post I have to first give background? so those who can share won't have to wonder why I'm asking a specific question?
    My horse is 15 years old. He is base narrow. I have booted him all along....he can 'cut' through expensive boots with the swing/interference, so they get expensive to replace. its so 'slight' that 'not' booting' can be better than booting as they get destroyed. Most, do not cover the area in question. Yes, we've worked endlessly with muscleling and trying to improve where we can without corrective shoeing or trailers that would add torque and damage legs. The shoer is fabulous and is undersetting the shoes on the inside as much as possible while still supporting the hoof with a balanced foot.

ok.....now. back to original programming:

anyone used fetlock rings, who can share how? its best? can I use two at a time one on each hind safely? Thanks!!!
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

Hi yes, I used fetlock rings on an OTTB mare who interfered behind between the coronet band and the ankle joint. They worked very well for her. They are not difficult to use--they just buckle on. I never needed more than one of them on each pastern (and she had long pasterns.)

It was many years ago, but before I invested in the fetlock rings I made my own out of pipe insulation covering a cat collar and then taped the whole thing with duct tape. The homemade ones did not last long, but they proved to me that they were worth buying.

You can use them on the front or hind legs. They are not commonly needed, but they are just the ticket when you need them!
    "Against stupidity the gods themselves contend in vain" ~Friedrich Schiller

1 members found this post helpful.

EC; thanks so much!
    I have our first ones here this morning and was heading out to the barn.....wanted to try them, but wasn't sure? if its ok to use two at a time (one on each hind leg?) or only ONE on either hind at a time.

I did also, thru research, find that I could cut 'into strips' an old pair of neoprene splint boots...one at each of the three velcro straps (so one boot equals three strip/circle velcro cuffs)....we've been using these on each hind, but they 'spin' and I thought the fetlock boots would be better protection--------just wasn't sure? if I am ok to use two at a time/one on each leg...or ONLY one at a time on one leg.
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

I used them on my big mare when she was going through an awkward stage and constantly banging one pastern. She was so big that I bought a pair, cut one in half, then threaded it on to a longer strap (spur straps work well), to make a larger one that fit her better. She wore it 24-7 until I got the wounds to heal (it did not make her existing wounds worse), then only when we were working. She eventually corrected her own stride and did not need them, but they were very useful protection while she was having problems.

*star*
    "Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit."
    - Desiderata, (c) Max Ehrman, 1926

I have used them, both with no problems. However, my horse also had trailers shaped onto his hind shoes to help him track straighter.

We had two, may still be in a tack box full of old stuff, that were made from a chain and covered with leather.
    They were not used after I came here, but was told they didn't like to use them because, even covered with sheepskin, they would scoff the horse's pasterns too much.

Maybe the newer ones, or if you don't need to leave them on, maybe they would not do that?

I used them (only needed one, actually) on a mare that travelled close behind. They worked perfectly and she never had abrasions again. There is one big WB at my barn who wears them in front in his stall.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Quote Originally Posted by ayrabz View Post
    EC; thanks so much!
    I have our first ones here this morning and was heading out to the barn.....wanted to try them, but wasn't sure? if its ok to use two at a time (one on each hind leg?) or only ONE on either hind at a time.

I did also, thru research, find that I could cut 'into strips' an old pair of neoprene splint boots...one at each of the three velcro straps (so one boot equals three strip/circle velcro cuffs)....we've been using these on each hind, but they 'spin' and I thought the fetlock boots would be better protection--------just wasn't sure? if I am ok to use two at a time/one on each leg...or ONLY one at a time on one leg.
    One on each hind leg if the horse interferes on both.

Quote Originally Posted by Bluey View Post
    We had two, may still be in a tack box full of old stuff, that were made from a chain and covered with leather.
    They were not used after I came here, but was told they didn't like to use them because, even covered with sheepskin, they would scoff the horse's pasterns too much.

Maybe the newer ones, or if you don't need to leave them on, maybe they would not do that?
    What you are talking about (with the chains) are usually for saddlebreds or other park horses to increase the "action" of their gaits. Fetlock rings are rubber.

Quote Originally Posted by Eclectic Horseman View Post
    What you are talking about (with the chains) are usually for saddlebreds or other park horses to increase the "action" of their gaits. Fetlock rings are rubber.
    No saddlebreds around here.
    They were used for horses interfering and for a broodmare that had ringbone, as per the vet's recommendation, as he thought the continuous rubbing would kept the joint cleaner longer.
    The leather was thick and stiff, making them round looking like the later rubber ones I saw.

Interesting to know they worked for some horses.

I was told some very young colts were interfering during different stages of growth, but would then get over it with more maturity.

Guess that the OP's horse, being in it's teens, won't be growing out of that.

Well, back from barn, and a reasonably good workout with the boy.....(still having his issues, but thats nothing new) the rings did not cause him to face plant...we used one on each hind ---- so far so good.
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett

I tried one on my mare who started clipping her RH with her LH when I added hind shoes last summer. The ring made the sore worse because it would spin every time she kicked it so I took it off. Once my farrier was able to come out and make adjustments she stopped clipping herself.

I have a pair for use on a base-narrow horse.

This one was shod well and the narrowness we had left was his hip-to-heel conformation.

Mine are all leather-- three layers in the middle so that it gets 3-D. They are light and thin. I didn't leave them on 24/7, but they held up and did the job.

ETA: I might have an extra pair of these around. Let me know if you can use them.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Default Not for horses only

When working in local tack store we had the occasional non-horsey peeps coming in to buy "whips"...had 2 non-horsey customers who discovered the fetlock rings and proceeded into hysterical laughter at the "other" use they could forsee! Don't remember if they bought a pair.

I used them on my BIG baby a while back. We moved and the first new farrier wasn' t so hot. The boy got out of balance and was doing a fair bit of damage to himself - worse under saddle. He wore the rings24/7 until the new, new farrier got him straightened out.
    Y'all ain't right!

You usually do only need one at a time -- they work by creating a "bumper" so either foot can't get close enough to cut. They work really well for some horses, less for others.

I have the same problem when my OTTB had hind shoes (bare behind now), he would cut himself on one side with the heels. I got the neoprene pastern wraps from Bit of Britain and they worked well, although the top layer started peeling off the first week. But they were still functional so oh well. Horse is very sensitive to things on his back legs so I worried that he might not like it rattling around, but now that I've gotten to know him better, I'm still tempted to try it...

thanks all....we'll be trying these and I'll report back after more than just the first ride in re: how they're working. MVP...that is so kind, and to be honest, IF you really have an unused extra pair, I'd be thrilled to know what you'd want for them....these may? prove too heavy/large for him and what you're describing may work better?
    ayrabz
    --Jimmy Buffett