The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Eclipse Awards tonight

If you aren't lucky enough to be in the ballroom, or even wandering around Gulfstream Park tonight, HRTV will carry the presentation at 8pm on their channel, as well as live streaming on their website.

Have watched it a couple of times - can be very dry, and sometimes a little goofy - I wish the presenters were often aware they're being televised nationally instead of at the local company awards banquet, and I guess this year with Stronach taking over, they're trying to improve?!?

But Mary Lou Whitney's speech two years ago was very moving. Well worth the time waiting to hear. Hoping to have some similar moments this evening.

http://cs.bloodhorse.com/blogs/wgoh/...it-speech.aspx
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes

I love the eclipse awards, although nothing can beat last year when they announced Zenyatta as HOY, unexpected tears started streaming

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by jennywho View Post
    I love the eclipse awards, although nothing can beat last year when they announced Zenyatta as HOY, unexpected tears started streaming
    I was talking about that with a friend last night. It was really like a bonus RACE she was running in. I was fully prepared to be absolutely pissed at the outcome. So much fun when it was announced after she'd earned it both years previous and not won.

Tonight will be the first in what, 4 years?, that a filly doesn't win horse of the year. Royal Delta, according to some, should've been a HOY finalist.
    It's a uterus, not a clown car. - Sayyedati

I also think Royal Delta should have been a finalist but I am pleased with the outcome. Wise Dan put together a tremendous campaign and had zero question marks on his 2012 resume. No knocks intended towards IHA, but I am happy that voters awarded a superior, if not as flashy, year long record over the ado of an impressive, media friendly shorter string of accomplishments.

Royal Delta has another year.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

I couldn't see the Awards as HRTV for whatever reason is currently unavailable with my provider - yet I pay for it - and they cannot physically check the main connection until Monday. Obviously Comcastic has no respect for horse racing

That aside I'm blown away by some Turf Writers continuing to have voting rights - no make that privileges - and didn't pick. What the heck?! Examples this year

Jockey category: voter abstentions, 3; no vote, 1
    Horse of the Year: Frankel, 1; voter abstention, 1
    Breeder: Kenneth and Sarah Ramsey, 1; voter abstentions 10
    Owner: voter abstentions, 7
    The vote for Frankel for an Eclipse is the asinine vote I've seem in quite some time. With Breeder for all the success the Ramsey's have had with their Kitten's Joy off spring and being a considerable home bred outfit you mean they get a single vote with 10 votes withheld? Do these writers watch even more than two hours of racing a month? What about jockey? 3 voters had such paralysis that they couldn't vote for anyone hence abstaining? Amazing.

Glimmer, maybe you can explain the process to me a little more thoroughly (or anyone else?)- I know abstentions have been an ongoing problem. Are voting rights "grandfathered", as it were, meaning does a specific publication get a vote for their turf writer regardless of a change in the person holding that position? How are new voters granted the privilege? Curious as I personally know our local "turf writer" and while I know he doesn't have a vote, I alos know he's just the sports guy and knows about as much about racing as I do about theoretical physics, and I'd imagine that's a common problem nationwide with non-racing specific publications.
    bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
    free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

A bit more of the voting:

http://www.tra-online.com/eclipse.html

Eclipse Awards voters cast their ballots to rank the top three horses and individuals in each Championship division on a 10-5-1 point system basis.

Voting entities: NTRA, Daily Racing Form and National Turf Writers And Broadcasters. For the 2012 Awards there were 254 voters vs. last year's awards being decided by fewer eligible voters (248). Last year some notable personalities were given the Eclipse voting right under the "broadcasters" part of the Turf Writers. Among then:

Bob Neumeier of NBC, Simon Bray and Rich Perloff of TVG, host Steve Byk of “At the Races,” and Caton Bredar, of HRTV. Former jockey Jerry Baily (and Eclipse winner himself) as well as jockey turned broadcast reporter Donna Barton Brothers.
    This year's edition had just one horse that almost was unanimous with Shanghai Bobby capturing 253 votes and just 1 vote going to Uncaptured.

CVPeg is offline Grand Prix Premium Member
    Original Poster

I wondered about Frankel and Black Caviar, so looked the awards up before the broadcast and was reminded this is for American racing. Kind of thought so, so what, because we got to watch Frankel on television? someone voted for him? Or maybe it's an example of the voter not knowing what they're voting for...

I've seen Richie Migliore's article supporting the apprentice jockey of the year, and agree it should be kept.

Also LOVED that winning handicapper opting to donate for TB retirement, and with plans to encourage others to do so. Changed my jaundiced view of them as a group!
    Being right half the time beats being half-right all the time. Malcolm Forbes