The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Question What should i charge?!

Someone recently contacted me about renting out up to 6 of my stalls for some TB's getting legged back up for the track. He would provide all the care, grain, hay, bedding, stall cleaning, exercise.... everything! all he wants is to basically rent 6 of my 12 x 12 stalls for the next 2 months and be able to use my indoor, etc to get these horses ready to get back to the track. He is currently at a place about 20 minutes from me right now but she has limited stalls and he has more horses to get going. She's charging $110 according to him. My normal full care board fee is $350. Does anyone have any idea what a good price would be? $110 seems a bit low, but it is all straight profit..... Any suggestions or ideas?
    Thanks

Default It's not about what you should charge

here's my take.

make sure you get a contract and a deposit.
    Don't take a check.
    Does he want turn out too, or just stalls?

you'll have additional manure disposal.
    count all your hay and shavings.

Get paid up front.

There are some very very good race track people around.
    There are some not so good payers too.

Ask who his vet is and get references if possible before saying yes.

Understand these horses will be cantering around endlessly on one track in your indoor arena and they start EARLY.

And race horses aren't like normal horses, while yours may be home, these horses have been all over, they'll have been exposed to things your horses haven't and may have habits, weaving, cribbing, etc, that your horses may not have.

I love thoroughbreds, worked at the track for years. we have a place right on I-75 with 10 empty stalls, I get a call every month or so for the same thing.

I just say no.

4 members found this post helpful.

Thanks so much for the info!!! I was already thinking pay up front in cash with a contract to cover damages done, liability and what not. I will definitely get references too!! I told him I could designate one turnout field to him to use as he wishes. But what is the normal going rate for something like this? Assuming everything checks out and I decide to go through with this temporary arrangement I want it to be worth it.

40 years ago we got $5/day ($150), per stall and that did not include use of an indoor. I think $110 is WAYYYY off target. $8/day sounds more reasonable. It is clear profit, but don't let yourself be cheated...and think of the aggravasion if the trainer is a jerk. 6 race horses (I love them, but...) can do a lot of damage in two months!! Make sure you check him out thoroughly!!
    www.crosscreeksporthorses.com
    Breeders of Painted Thoroughbreds and Uniquely Painted Irish Sport Horses in Northeast Oklahoma

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2ndyrgal View Post
    here's my take.

make sure you get a contract and a deposit.
    Don't take a check.
    Does he want turn out too, or just stalls?

you'll have additional manure disposal.
    count all your hay and shavings.

Get paid up front.

There are some very very good race track people around.
    There are some not so good payers too.

Ask who his vet is and get references if possible before saying yes.

Understand these horses will be cantering around endlessly on one track in your indoor arena and they start EARLY.

And race horses aren't like normal horses, while yours may be home, these horses have been all over, they'll have been exposed to things your horses haven't and may have habits, weaving, cribbing, etc, that your horses may not have.

I love thoroughbreds, worked at the track for years. we have a place right on I-75 with 10 empty stalls, I get a call every month or so for the same thing.

I just say no.
    As much as I hate to say it, I agree with this post verbatim. Not saying you shouldn't do it-- just watch out for yourself and trust your gut about the situation. Does it seem legit or does it seem too good to be true?

I worked in racing for a long time. There's a lot of folks out there who will screw you over if you're not careful. I suppose that's true in all facets of the horse world, but particularly in racing due to the high $$$ invested.
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post
    40 years ago we got $5/day ($150), per stall and that did not include use of an indoor. I think $110 is WAYYYY off target. $8/day sounds more reasonable. It is clear profit, but don't let yourself be cheated...and think of the aggravasion if the trainer is a jerk. 6 race horses (I love them, but...) can do a lot of damage in two months!! Make sure you check him out thoroughly!!
    Yes that's what I was thinking! It sounded a little too low to me. I'm meeting with him in person to discuss it further and get a better feel for the guy. Thanks for the advice and prices!

Quote Originally Posted by crosscreeksh View Post

My son worked as an exercise rider at Churchill... if I remember correctly the stalls are stripped clean every morning and re bedded, all horses are lead to the right from the stalls to keep them from running into each other head on

$8/day might be a reasonable base but have it plus disposal of bedding and damages (with damage deposit in-hand before they set foot on the property)

We have just ONE Thoroughbred and she has torn up more stuff than the seven others combined.

By the way, the income is not "clear profit" unless you pocket the cash; it is reportable income subject to taxes

If you want to go ahead, make sure you talk to the previous barn owner as to why he's leaving. She may have a very different story to tell. I'd also get several other references (this isn't the first year he's doing this, right? why didn't he go back to the other barns? Who are they? speak to them, as well as vet etc.) When I check references I always ask "do they pay on time?" as well as "is there anything else I should know about them?"

1 members found this post helpful.

Most places that I know of charge between $10-15 per day per stall if it is a good set up. That’s a “dry” stall. The renter supplies, bedding and hay and does all the work.

I take a bit of exception to poster # 2 that’s throwing a very large blanket. I grew up in both the show and racing world and have not found it to be that much different. Be it horses or people.

I know nothing about this but I cannot see how it is pure profit. More manure, more dragging said arena, more electricity to pump water, etc..... I would not undersell the fact that you will worry about the horses too. What is a gray hair worth?