The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sell?

I am probably going to have to sell one of my two horse but I'm not sure which one and am looking for some advice on which one sounds like it suits me better. Or when you knew your horse was the one. First horse is Jack a TWH. He is the sweest boy ever. 8 years old We believe he is formally abused but he is still super sweet and a people horse. We have a close bond right now. He is tenically my dads horse, but he stoped riding and I took over the care and training of him. I feel like he is a one in a million horse, and that if I sell him I will regret because I don't think I will ever find a horse like him again. Next horse is Apache. He is the one that is tecnically mine. Believed to be a quarter horse, TWH mix. 9 years old, choking problem, but he doesnt choke if you feed him right which was his problem, the people at my barn weren't feeding him right. He doesnt choke when we feed him so we are the only ones that can feed him now. He is grumpy and hates his face being touched. We dont really have a bond, I mean he whinnys when he sees me but I feel like its because he wants food or out not because he sees me. I'm hesitant to sell him because I know some bonds between horse and rider take a few months to form. I'm leaning towards keeping Jack because we have a closer bond, I feel like he has a ton of potential, and he's easier to take care of. My parents arn't really horse people and so right now he have to go to the barn everyday to feed Apache but if I sold him and kept Jack then we wouldn't have to be over there everyday because the people at my barn could feed Jack some days. I feel bad selling Aapche because he has been passed from home to home because people were scared of his speed. At the same time though I feel bad keeping him because I feel like I'm holding him back from finding the perfect owner. I'm not sure what to do or which horse is "the one".

First of all, I would work on losing the mindset of "the one." For each and everyone of us, there are going to be multiple horses we get along with and that suit our needs. Is it great to feel a personal bond with the horse? Sure, but romanticizing it as being the one true horse is not helpful. Given that the OP is young, it would be my hope that she will learn that there are many horses that can be part of her life.

As someone who sells horses, the choke issue (assuming there is no veterinary reason for it) is manageable. Of course I would not keep a horse in a barn where the BO could not manage a horse that could choke. It's not difficult to deal with. Besides the choke issue is NOT going to be what a prospective buyer will want to know about initially. The comment about "because people were scared of his speed" concerned me. What does that mean exactly? How is the horse under saddle? What can the horse do? Is this horse rideable at all? Who is the horse suitable for? These are the big questions in selling a horse. And yes, if the OP and the horse are not suited, it makes sense to sell. And BTW, there are few perfect owners out there, but there are any number of prospective buyers who are more than able to give a horse good care.
    Last edited by IronwoodFarm; Jan. 19, 2013 at 05:23 PM.
    Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
    http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Agree with Ironwood. In the grand scheme of things people aren't looking for a life partner even if they say they are so "bonds" come and go.

What skills do both horses have and which one is most likely to be easily sold? How old are they? How tall? TWH people like colored horses generally, are they spotted or have attractive markings? Do they have other physical issues?

Have you discussed this with your father - he appears to have an interest.

I also agree with Ironwood in that if I had to truck on over to a boarding barn every day to feed my own horse without a discount I'd be shopping for a new boarding barn.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

What do you want to do or what are your riding goals? Compare those with the skill sets of the horses you have. The answer might be to sell one of those horses and keep the other. It could also be that you need to sell both of them and invest in one horse more suitable for your goals. (With your Dad's permission of course, since one is his.)

The TWH is 14 hands and is brown and white. The quarter horse is 13 hand and has two blue eyes and is buckskin and white. I know this is unrealistic but really I'd like to try most of the disiplines but my main focus is trail riding. The quarter horse is ridable he just likes to go fast so when you ask him to trot he trots really fast and part of the problem is that he no longer canters in saddle, he goes from a trot the speed of a canter to a gallop. Thats part of the reason I kinda want to sell him is because I feel like I'm just making him worse. Thats part of the reason I bought him in the first place is because he was really fast, which I loved but now, I mean I like that the's fast still, but its not that big of a deal anymore. The TWH is fast too anyway, just not like te quarter horse. He put all out when you ask him to run where at the TWH doesn't. And by the perfect owner, I mean the perfect on for him that can give him better care than I can.

If you got a coin put keeping Apache as head & keeping Jack as tails & flipped the coin which would you want to see in your hand? Im pretty sure you could answer this easily.

Ive been there I know what its like, you dont want to get rid of either one. Life makes you sometimes. Could you lease one of them? Put them both for sale & see which sells first? Sell the one worth more $?
    “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Running into a gallop by trotting really fast doesn't sound like he likes to go fast, it sounds like training or physical issues. What exactly does your dad say about all this, have you talked to the barn owner about any of it and is there any person who trains or gives lessons that you can discuss this with? The QH sounds like it's the one to go but at 13 hands your market is limited to small people or children and nobody will buy that for a kid, unless perhaps they think they can make a gaming horse out of it, but that requires a horse be handy, not just "no brakes".

Good luck.
    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
    Incredible Invisible

Default NO advice just sorry you have to part with one ~ Jingles & ((hugs))

No advice ~ just sorry you have to part with one ~

JINGLES & ((hugs))
    Zu Zu Bailey " IT"S A WONDERFUL LIFE !"