The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Is anyone else finding this because of the current market?

So myself and another trainer are currently marketing a wonderful Dressage gelding for his owner, who is much more into little horses than big Thoroughbreds. He has trained 3rd Level, all the goods, very flashy, and still pretty young! Has a show record and was a juniors horse.

ANYWAYS, he has had the last couple years off because his owner went to college and he was just used as a fun, sunday riding horse. He was sold to his original owner (the mini pony woman) and now we decided to put him up forsale for a VERY good price, a steal for a horse like him! He is worth more than we are asking but we were hoping for a quick sale. We keep getting flakey hits on him, but now all the sudden I keep getting questions from people asking if we would consider giving him up for free?

I mean, there is no harm in asking, but I don't see where someone would think we would just GIVE up a horse like this. Personally, at the price we are asking (well above FREE) it is like giving him away, but the economy in Nevada SUCKS right now.

Is anyone else seeing more and more people just wanting a nice horse given to them?

What would you do if the same person who asked you to GIVE them the horse suddenly wont stop calling or texting you about the horse, now saying they are VERY interested? Do I entertain the idea? I have not had time to call her because of work, my days off aren't until Monday-Wednesday.. but what do I do? Do I make it VERY clear I won't give the horse to her and he is firm at said price? Do I never entertain the idea of a woman who asked me about giving the horse to her for free (but if I couldn't she understood and hopes I find him a wonderful home) that now wants to POSSIBLY buy him?

It's all just weird to me, and I am finding the out poor of people wanting free horses (who are prices above free) strange. Do you find this happening because of the market? Are people crazy? Am I over reacting?

HELP.
    The Struggle - - a blog about the equestrian struggle.

Sadly the value of anything is not what we think it is, but rather what someone is willing to pay. Hence, we may feel that pricing a horse at $5K is a steal of a deal, but if folks are only willing to pay $1K then that is the true value (using these numbers as example only).

Having said that I would only be willing to give a horse away for free to someone I knew very well and felt assured that they had the horses best interest for the LONG TERM. If it were a stranger I would need a lot of references to make me feel comfortable with giving them a free horse. People generally are a more serious interested party if they have a financial investment in an animal.

I might consider an onsite lease with the interested person to see how they work out. Or take payments (horse stays with you until paid in full and insurance must be purchased).

Good luck!

1 members found this post helpful.

I would nip it in the bud. Be honest and say you found her offer of $0 insulting and you aren't interested in speaking to her further about the horse.

she's either 14 or crazy anyhow
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

4 members found this post helpful.

I think it IS happening because of the market. It is not too too difficult to find very nice horses that are offered for free lease because the owner no longer can afford the horse and is at a point where they need to get the horse off of the feed bill. But most of these cases are "free lease" so that the owner still retains control over the horse. None of this excuses someone coming back again and again after you told them that the horse is NOT a giveaway. If the person now wants to purchase the horse for the price you are asking, that's another story (but the owner retains the right to sell the horse to someone they trust). If not, tell her "thank you for your interest and you'll get back to her if the price changes". The end.

The owner could consider a free lease to a good rider if they need to subsidize the cost of the horse while continuing to look for a new owner.

Good luck!!
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

I know sellers who would increase the price because they didn't like the calibre of people attracted by the lower price. Your price may be too low if people think you would just give him away.

And remember, it's not the upfront costs on a horse, it's the upkeep costs. Anyone looking for a free horse might not be able to care for him.

ETA do you mind posting the link to the ad? Maybe there's some language in there that's attracting the flakes?
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

Bristol, here is the jist of his ad. I would hate to post the whole thing because I don't want this to get flagged as a possible sales ad. We really aren't in a HUGE hurry to sale this horse. His own is in a comfortable place with money, has a trainer working out of her barn, and is surrounded by people who will ride the horse for her (for free!). She just would rather not have all the big horses and have little ones. So hanging onto him is not a big deal until someone comes along willing to pay. We are asking UNDER 5k for him. I consider 12 not very old, in the prime age (personally), and he is low mileage!

12yro, Chestnut with a lot of chrome, Thoroughbred, Gelding. River is a very kind gentlemen, and he is the horse that walks up to you in the pasture. River rides with a very soft in a snaffle, and he has beautiful, smooth gaits. River is schooled on his leads, lateral work, simple and flying changes. He is a very nice horse, and we hate to see him go, but due to down sizing he is for sale. River has a great USEF show record behind him in the first levels, and he is ready to keep going forward in his career. He has shown locally at the 2nd and 3nd Level. Reserve Champion @ Jr. Championhips in '08. Jockey Club registered, TIP Incentive Eligible.

Maybe it's the downsizing that is having these people jump out at him? Thinking that he NEEDS to go. I only put that in there because I had people asking "Well he sounds very nice, but why are you selling him so cheap?". So I consulted with my partner and his owner, then we decided to put that in there.
    The Struggle - - a blog about the equestrian struggle.

I'd change the order of the points in your ad too. Most people read the first sentence and then move on. your first sentence is talking about a horse walking up to you in the pasture...

USEF record
    Leads
    Changes
    Soft in the bridle
    walks up to you
    downsizing

3 members found this post helpful.

So keep the downsizing in there?

Quote Originally Posted by Belmont View Post
    Bristol, here is the jist of his ad. I would hate to post the whole thing because I don't want this to get flagged as a possible sales ad. We really aren't in a HUGE hurry to sale this horse. His own is in a comfortable place with money, has a trainer working out of her barn, and is surrounded by people who will ride the horse for her (for free!). She just would rather not have all the big horses and have little ones. So hanging onto him is not a big deal until someone comes along willing to pay. We are asking UNDER 5k for him. I consider 12 not very old, in the prime age (personally), and he is low mileage!

12yro, Chestnut with a lot of chrome, Thoroughbred, Gelding. River is a very kind gentlemen, and he is the horse that walks up to you in the pasture. River rides with a very soft in a snaffle, and he has beautiful, smooth gaits. River is schooled on his leads, lateral work, simple and flying changes. He is a very nice horse, and we hate to see him go, but due to down sizing he is for sale. River has a great USEF show record behind him in the first levels, and he is ready to keep going forward in his career. He has shown locally at the 2nd and 3nd Level. Reserve Champion @ Jr. Championhips in '08. Jockey Club registered, TIP Incentive Eligible.

Maybe it's the downsizing that is having these people jump out at him? Thinking that he NEEDS to go. I only put that in there because I had people asking "Well he sounds very nice, but why are you selling him so cheap?". So I consulted with my partner and his owner, then we decided to put that in there.
    Good to know that the owner isn't in a hurry to sell! Personally... I would remove the line saying that "you hate to sell him but you are downsizing". I would also move his personality traits to the end of the ad rather than the second line. I'd start off that he is a flashy XX hh 12 year old TB with lots of Chrome and great gaits. He has simple and flying changes, this show record (blah blah blah), and is ready to move up the levels. He is very friendly and loves people, and is a perfect amateur or junior mount. etc. I wouldn't state why he's for sale in the add.

If he's sound and has a history of soundness, definitely mention this. If he has corrective shoeing or needs maintenance, mention that, too. That can help justify the low price. State that you can send pictures and/or video for interested people. The more professional it sounds, the fewer the non-serious people you'll attract. If he's sound, he sounds like a VERY appealing mount for an amateur rider who wants to be competitive and have fun at the lower levels and learn how to move up.

12 is not old.

If someone asks why he's for sale, just say the truth: he's too big for his current owner. Lots of people like big horses.
    Proud member of the Colbert Dressage Nation

I sent you a PM.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

i think you are over reacting. if you aren't interested in giving him away you can just say "thanks for considering him, but we really are looking at x for him - i f you want to make another offer i'd be happy to hear it"

as for the ad: it is pretty unprofessional and sounds like the kind of horse that folks will want for free

i would take a look at other ads and try to mimic them - also you night find someone versed in dressage lingo to help you out

good luck.

Quote Originally Posted by mbm View Post
    i think you are over reacting. if you aren't interested in giving him away you can just say "thanks for considering him, but we really are looking at x for him - i f you want to make another offer i'd be happy to hear it"

as for the ad: it is pretty unprofessional and sounds like the kind of horse that folks will want for free

i would take a look at other ads and try to mimic them - also you night find someone versed in dressage lingo to help you out

good luck.
    I am 100% not versed in Dressage lingo! I'm much more versed in Fox Hunting & Jumper lingo. I've had a lot of success selling those horses, this horse has been the hardest of all. HE DOESN'T JUMP, and a lot of people ask me about that too. He is a scardey cat! He is a Dressage horse only, so that has been very hard for me.

I would NOT say "downsizing". That makes me think "they ran out of money and they have to get rid of the horse before the hay bill comes in".

And DEFINITELY put the "good record at First Level, has shown at Second and Third " in the first sentence, probably even before the color and height.

Without the reference to second and third level, "schooled on his leads, lateral work, simple and flying changes" sounds like a Training Level horse that has a "hunter style" change.
    Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

1st level schoolmaster with the ability for more. Reserve Champion @ Jr. Championhips in '08. Has shown locally at second and third with good results. Easy to sit, and soft in the Bridle. River is a lovely chestnut with chrome, 12 yo Reg TB that is kind, loving and looking for his next partner! Jockey Club registered, TIP Incentive Eligible.
    Last edited by mbm; Jan. 19, 2013 at 12:37 AM. Reason: better wording

It sounds very much like a horse I had. I didn't have the free thing, but TONS of people who wanted a free lease, somewhere else. I just said no and that's it. Be firm.

I think it's because the market has been so bad for so long, people will try.

As others said, I would refocus the ad. Looking for the RIGHT home for someone to appreciate the great value of this horse--that's the most important thing.

Anyone asking for free, just say no. You could ad, price goes up if they keep asking.

Interestingly, the horse I finally found a super home for drove 8 hours from Nevada with her trainer and trailer to try him out, vet check him, and take him home the next day.

You don't need a reason for sale.

Also, if you have scores, that will attract buyers with pay checks.
    If he's on centerline scores and has good numbers, post a link to centerline in the ad.

I agree with the suggested changes to the ad. Respond to a request for a giveaway with a simple "No, but good luck in your search." There's no need to say you are insulted, no need to say the price goes up. You never know whether this person will one day be a legitimate buyer. Why be less than gracious?
    Quote Originally Posted by Linny View Post
    Those martingales were so taut, you could play Ode to Joy on them with a comb

go with the changes in the ad. I will pm you. There are several people that might be interested.

I didn't see his height in the ad. That should be included as well.

Christa

Thumbs down

So you really started this thread because you don't know what to say to someone who wants this horse for free? Really?

How is this not an ad? Get any bites? Check your PMs. ;-)

It's a cute way to get around the Rules-Think up a question that allows you to post all the details of your ad right down to the name in case anyone wants to search and find the other ad.

You could easily have asked your *question* without posting your ad.

And no, not reporting it- I'm just easily amused .

go with the changes in the ad. I will pm you. There are several people that might be interested.
    edited to add reply to your ad
    Last edited by Crockpot; Jan. 19, 2013 at 09:36 AM.