The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Best boot for WIDE big hoof?

Hi, I'm not actually an "endurance person" per say, but I do love hacking out my barefoot dressage horse on packed gravel and dirt roads/trails near my house. Also, I know you guys are the ones "in the know" when it comes to barefoot and booting. This horse has been barefoot all his life and he was never even trimmed until he was 7 yrs. old. He is a draft x WB and has a front foot that measures (freshly trimmed) a hair over 6" wide and a hair under 6" long. His foot has the wide, low heel shape. I beval the edges and use a "mustang roll". His feet have a nice concave shape and great frog and true sole. I don't think they will change very much because they seem "happy". He is pretty comfortable walking over gravel and has never been sore, but I would really like to get him a set of hoof boots because I am always worried, even though it's never happened, he's going to step on a big rock and end up with a bruise right before a show.
    I've been looking at a few different boots and have gathered that the easyboots are not going to work for this shape, with the exception of maybe the Boa? Old Mac's G1, but the largest size isn't big enough.... Cavallo Simple? Renegades? I have used Old Mac's G2 and Cavallo Simple in the past on other horses and have been pleased with them. Renegades look super nice, but are they worth it for the price difference? The largest size is supposed to fit 6" x 6", so I'm wondering if they will really fit him if he's a hair over (like an 1/8-1/4")His back feet are a more normal shape, so I'm pretty sure I can find something to fit them easily.

renegades run a tad eggy shaped, so I wouldn't think they would work if he's a 6.25" width
    contact them though, you can return them if they don't work. They are a great company to work with
    www.destinationconsensusequus.com
    chaque pas est fait ensemble

Hmmmmm.....yes. I was wondering if it was a very close fit when I read on their website how the hoof must be beveled in order for it to fit. His hooves are beveled and as small as they are going to get.....

Definitely contact Renegades -- they can give you advice about sizing, and they may have additional sizes available than what's on their website.
    RIP Victor... I'll miss you, you big galumph.

Boa's should fit him. My Irish Draught fits into Boa's.

When I contacted Renegade they told me their boots would not fit my mustang's rounder feet. I went with the Cavallos which were a good fit.
    A friend told me I was delusional. I almost fell off my unicorn.

Easyboot gloves do come in wide sizes now but none big enough for your horse. I just checked on their site.

Looks like their Easyboot Trail boot does come big enough for him. That would be my choice over a Cavallo only because Easycare has such a good return policy. 30 day full refund if the boots don't fit or are defective. Hard to beat that.

A semi-custom option for the bigguns is Hoofwings

While they may be a little pricier, you KNOW they're gonna fit.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

1 members found this post helpful.

Cavallo Simples should work. Both of my guys have widish feet and these work really well on them. I wish the Cavallo sport boots were wider, but they are made for a longer foot.
    Delaware Park Canter Volunteer
    http://www.canterusa.org/

While I recommend Renegades (I use them but my horse has much smaller feet!) they did today just release new Easy Boots in Huge sizes, so maybe now they'll fit! There is a blog about it, not sure if they're on the site yet.

http://blog.easycareinc.com/blog/chr...t-the-big-guns
    "Do your best, and leave the rest, twill all come right, some day or night" -Black Beauty

http://trails-and-trials-with-major.blogspot.com/

I second Hoofwings!!!
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org