The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default First time showing a circuit?

It will be my first time showing a circuit thus year - I, going to WEF all of February - march. I was wondering what do I need to know to survive it.. Like what do you to to fit in and what do you not do so you don't look Like an outcast? What do you wear while walking around the show grounds? I just need some dos and don't to surviving the a circuit. Anything I should beware of? What do most girls wear while walking around? What do they carry? What are the most popular brands? I think you guys get my flow. Thanks!

I believe it is a requirement that you wear your helmet 24/7 with the chin strap undone. Only hook it when you ride. LOL.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

4 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by 2tempe View Post
    I believe it is a requirement that you wear your helmet 24/7 with the chin strap undone. Only hook it when you ride. LOL.
    So you have to wear it even while your not showing? Or is it just a fashion? Haha

Quote Originally Posted by gmbjumper View Post
    So you have to wear it even while your not showing? Or is it just a fashion? Haha
    She was being sarcastic. Though you will see it A LOT, because a lot of people just walk around with their helmet on for different reasons (class coming up, bad hair, don't want to redo hairnets, etc).

I don't think there is anything you HAVE to do. Be yourself, seriously. You will make more friends that way then trying to be just like everyone else. Everyone has their own way of dressing and thinking, yes there are "trends" but that shouldn't make you an outcast.

HAVE FUN, think about your horse and showing.. That is what you should concentrate on much more than what to wear. (:
    The Struggle - - a blog about the equestrian struggle.

2 members found this post helpful.

It will be my first year showing too. I am going down to Wellington for a week to watch how its all done. I will be showing in an adult hunter division with both of my horses, and my coach will be showing them too. I think I will have lots of shopping to do in Florida!

My sister has her store down there, and she sells mostly clothing. She said her EIS sun shirts are flying off the shelf. Everyone wears them for schooling days or for schooling jumper classes. For walking around the show grounds, people usually wear breeches with flats (no boot socks) and either a show shirt or a sun shirt/t-shirt. Sunglasses are a must not for looks but for practicality!
    For showing, the most common look is a white shirt with the wrap collar and a dark stretchy coat. Regular coats are still popular too, more so in the hunter ring. GPAs, Charles Owens and Samshields are the most popular helmets. Have a good time!
    www.jodsonline.com- Proud sister of the owner of JODS, providing quality equestrian apparel. Check it out!

Like others said, please don't worry about "what to wear". Unless you're Reed Kessler, Georgina Bloomberg, Brianne Goutal, or the like, chances are no one will be looking at you! And I don't mean that in a nasty way at all, just the way things work!

My, that is a BIG pond to jump in for your first A show, but very exciting! WEF isn't my personal favorite, but lots of people love it and it certainly has it's merits. It is very, very nice down there this time of year (much nicer than it is here in Ocala presently!), so like someone else said, bring lots of sun shirts, polos, and tees! I certainly don't wear anything "special" there or to any other show; just britches, a clean shirt, a belt, and some flats or my boots/half chaps/what have you. Same thing I wear to the barn day in and day out! Keep rain gear on hand, but hopefully you won't need it very often!

Good luck and most importantly, HAVE FUN!
    Nine out of ten times, you'll get it wrong...but it's that tenth time that you get it right that makes all the difference.

OP - yes I was slightly sarcastic re the helmet comment, but have seen people off the showgrounds - ie in a grocery store - still w/ helmet on.

One recommendation: aside from the raingear requirement, I'd also bring a couple of "warm" layers. Even Wellington can have some darn chilly weather this time of year. Don't be w/out a sweater, or a windbreaker, enough to keep you warm if you have a morning in the 40's or lower 50's.

I'm presuming that your trainer has other clients going? If so, start out hanging w/ them and just go w/ the flow. Its going to be BIG, lots of people, lots of riders. Some nice people and some not so nice.
    We don't get less brave; we get a bigger sense of self-preservation........

As someone else said, WEF is a big pond for your first A show. So keep that in mind and try not to stress too much...even people who have been doing A shows for years won't know quite what to expect their first time at WEF.

Honestly, WEF is huge, with a wide variety of people. Unless you walk around in a bikini or a burlap bag, odds are nobody will notice what you wear.

Wear sunscreen. That's probably the most important thing to put on.

Have fun, and take the opportunity to watch and learn. Some of the best riders in the world are there. Watch them warm up, watch them show, watch them school other people. It's like free lessons all day every day.

3 members found this post helpful.

WEF is way more low key that you have been lead to believe. Most people are dressed very casually. The horses are amazing and the divisions are huge, but you won't be out of place if you are clean, neat and your horse is well turned out.