The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Dog food (a little TMI)

I have a dog that has eaten Orijen for a while because I know it is a quality food. I have a younger dog. He started out on Iams or something at the breeder. He didn't seem to be doing too well on that when I got him. I tried him on Innova Large Breed Puppy and he still had loose stools. I tried him on Fromm Large Breed Puppy and he did absolutely fantastic - his digestion seemed absolutely perfect. The problem was that he developed ear infections. I tried feeding him Orijen Adult (the regular formula). I left him on it for quite a while, and he just didn't take to it. He got gas, loose stools (especially during exercise), etc. His ear infections did clear up, though.
    Help! I am currently trying one of Fromm's grain free foods (Surf and Turf) just to see how he does on it. I would like to switch to a home prepared cooked or raw diet, but I use meat bits for training sometimes and I have to be very careful because he can get a loose stool. I am hoping that if I can get everything cleared up and things back to regular again, perhaps I can switch him over to a powder mixed with meat, but I know I can't do that now with him on the Orijen because his digestion isn't strong right now. Any ideas?

I'd try Acana. Same high quality ingredients as Orijen, but less rich. If you're trying to rule out allergies, then the Duck and Pear or the Lamb and Apple could be good options.

If that doesn't work, California Natural has some really nice kibbles for allergy dogs, although I am hesitant to use them now that they've been purchased by Proctor and Gamble (but I did have a dog do very well on their food prior to that purchase.)

I'm doing California Natural now (God help me!) and it seems to be going quite well...we're doing the fish & potato. Stinks to high heaven, I'll warn you. We now have a "dog food room". It reeks.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by BuddyRoo View Post
    I'm doing California Natural now (God help me!) and it seems to be going quite well...we're doing the fish & potato. Stinks to high heaven, I'll warn you. We now have a "dog food room". It reeks.
    You ain't smelled nothing until you take a whiff of the EVO Herring cat food.

Try a lower fat food. I have a collie who can't handle more than 12%.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

Could it be that he has an underlying problem unrelated to the food? A fecal might be a good option just to rule out any parasites that can create similar symptoms.

Can you compare ingredients between the fromm and the others foods? A friend's dog develops horrible ear infections if he's fed anything he's allergic to (chicken, beef, pork... seriously).

Quote Originally Posted by GraceLikeRain View Post
    Could it be that he has an underlying problem unrelated to the food? A fecal might be a good option just to rule out any parasites that can create similar symptoms.
    Fecal tests have been done and are normal. He is always fine in the morning, also, it is through the day that he gets looser stools. On Orijen, he goes #2 probably 4 x a day, and a lot. When he was on Fromm large breed puppy, he went only 2 times a day, and they were always perfect (but he had the ear infections ).

I do think that I will carefully compare the ingredients of all of the foods he has been on, to hopefully eventually identify an ingredient he is allergic to. I also think it could be possible that he doesn't do well if the fat is too high for him. It is strange.