The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Sore trapezius muscles: vet or chiro? (Saddle fitter already lined up)

My horse has fairly suddenly developed sore trapezius muscles. I know it's sudden because I just had his back checked last month. For a bit of history, I posted on here somewhere a few months ago that his saddle pad had weird clean spots in the front, as if it were bridging. I asked the saddle guy, and he said that could be caused by bridging, OR a saddle that is too tight, and he told me how to check that. The saddle was too tight, but I have a Pessoa with exchangeable gullet plates, so I went the next size up.

This is about the time I had his back checked. He has been ridden more by a dressage rider lately, hence the change in his muscling.

Then last week, someone trying my horse for a possible lease put a way wide saddle on him (with shims, she claimed) that rocked and was generally just awful, and that was before she got on. She sat his trot quite a bit and he seemed to be going fine. The next day it was obvious that he was uncomfortable. That was last Sunday. He has had the week off, ridden only once in a bareback pad, and he's still sore.

The saddle fitter is coming out Monday, but if this doesn't clear up, is this a vet problem or a chiropractor problem?

I would appreciate any insight.
    A helmet saved my life.

2014 goal: learn to ride like TheHorseProblem, er, a barn rat!

So long as he is not actually lame I would suggest having a qualified massage therapist come out to see him first to access what is going on in the muscles. If there is any lameness then of course go the vet route first.
    But if it is straight up muscle soreness a bodyworker is going to be able to relieve any tension and trigger points that may be in the muscles.
    A skilled therapist will also be able to help you decide if a chiro is needed as well.
    Your saddle fitter may have a massage therapist they recommend, but if not ask around to your local horse friends, your vet, or trainer to see who they recommend.
    Good luck!!
    Free and Forward Motion through Massage Therapy
    www.amandastarrbodywork.com

He did feel lame when I rode him the day after the gal rode him, in that his canter felt belabored, and normally his canter is fantastic.

The dressage rider got on him bareback a few days ago and said he felt stiff in his hind end.

So I would interpret that as the same disconnectedness that led me to check his back in the first place.
    A helmet saved my life.

Bump
    A helmet saved my life.

BB, I would second the recommendation to find a good massage therapist. A competent bodyworker will watch the horse move as well as feeling with her/his hands, and most of us are very quick to recommend a visit from a chiro or lameness vet if something strikes us as being outside the scope of muscular issues.

There is probably more going on than just the sore trapezius; horses are masters of compensation! A good massage therapist might be able to give you insight into what is going on in his body, as well as exercises in-hand and under saddle intended to help whatever issues s/he finds.

Good luck!
    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
    -Albert Camus

Well, I posted last June about my ill fitting saddle issue on my 5 year old OTTB. bottom line is that a couple of rides in an ill fitting saddle-especially a dressage saddle-can do some damage. My horse was riden about 4-5 times in dressage saddles that did not fit and was laid up for about 6 weeks. He was that sore.

Vet is very good (she actually went to the London Games with a dressage competitor) and he was on muscle relaxers, and bute and 10 days. He hurt, and sitting the trot in an ill fitting saddle is painfull for a horse.

I also had cold laser treatments to start but it was not enough and I called the vet out who diagnosed the problem within 5 minutes. I found another trainer and she ordered a custom saddle that would fit him and several other horses and there have been no back issues since. I hope that your horse recovers quickly.

Quote Originally Posted by stolen virtue View Post
    Well, I posted last June about my ill fitting saddle issue on my 5 year old OTTB. bottom line is that a couple of rides in an ill fitting saddle-especially a dressage saddle-can do some damage. My horse was riden about 4-5 times in dressage saddles that did not fit and was laid up for about 6 weeks. He was that sore.

Vet is very good (she actually went to the London Games with a dressage competitor) and he was on muscle relaxers, and bute and 10 days. He hurt, and sitting the trot in an ill fitting saddle is painfull for a horse.

I also had cold laser treatments to start but it was not enough and I called the vet out who diagnosed the problem within 5 minutes. I found another trainer and she ordered a custom saddle that would fit him and several other horses and there have been no back issues since. I hope that your horse recovers quickly.
    You are going to have to PM me the vet, although I think you are north of me. Anyway, wow, that sounds terrible! I hope that is not the case with my horse, but I am going straight to the vet at this point because my horse was lame today.

I'm going to look up your thread!
    A helmet saved my life.

Hey, Stolen Virtue, your inbox is full, so I sent an email.
    A helmet saved my life.