The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Thanking those who run Quarantine and layover barns.

I Just bought a horse this week. Or maybe i should say Rescue, as he was bound for Slaughter. i paid online, and bought him without trying him. i know it's not smart. but it is what it is. However, he is not near me, so i have to hire someone to haul him. the person who was going to bring him told me he was sick. Snots. ( possibly Strangles) bc he was from auction. There is no way i could bring him to our boarding barn. Thankfully there are People in the area who do QT and Layover.

Just spoke to vet and doesn't think it is strangles but i had the test done, just to be sure. He will be at a layover barn for at least 2 weeks and if he does have strangles, it will be even longer. I am so grateful to the people who do this. I could not have saved this gelding without their help.

He is a 6 yr old Appy and he looks almost exactly like my own appy. We hope he becomes an amazing trail horse. in any case, we saved his life and that makes me happy.

If you own a layover or Quarantine barn, Bless you!!

4 members found this post helpful.

Amen! What a fabulous service they provide.
    Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

strangles test was Negative, so he has something else, but will get another 4 day antibiotic shot on sunday and hopefully will clear up soon so we can vaccinate and ship him home.

This is the new guy

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...ps4e06e67b.jpg

1 members found this post helpful.

Awww Nezzy he's adorable!!

O.M.G!!! Thank you for saving him he's an absolute doll!
    Boyle Heights Kid 1998 OTTB Dark Bay Gelding
    Tinner's Way x Sculpture by Hail to Reason
    "Once you go off track, you never go back!"

I think he is super cute!! He has a very kind look to him.

"We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

idk what is going on, i do know he's a cutie and Was not super expensive. We hoped to save him, but even if he was not in danger, i'm sure he needed a home. my hubby is super excited about him. i do know the process of getting him confused me greatly, and i do know he was at auction b/c he had bad snot. in any case we are happy to have him. We would not just go rescueing horses, my hubby's last horse passed away about 2005, so it has been a while, and this just felt right.

I was not trying to cause any trouble, i had no idea about any of the controversy. a friend of mine got 2 horses there a year ago and they turned out to be great horses. She is the one who showed me this guy. we were not even thinking about getting a horse until we saw him.
    Last edited by Nezzy; Jan. 18, 2013 at 05:04 PM.

He's a cutie and you are happy to give him a home. That's all that matters in this case. Enjoy him.

Congrats! I was eyeballing that one. However I need another horse like a hole in the head, LOL!

And don't apologize for buying a cute horse for a good price. I have an ac4h QH in my barn...I found them a damned good bargain in both cost of horse and cost of shipping. And I got a wicked cool, athletic, safe, sane and sound horse out of it. Kinda nice to be able to buy online for people who can take the chance on auction horses.

The snots are really common with auctions, sales barns, dealers, etc. Mix a buttload of stressed horses together and all sorts of crap develops. I lucked out, when I had Sonny shipped here he was the only one out of a trailer of 9 that didn't get strangles. He was probably Typhoid Mary though.

Keep us updated on the new guy!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

2 members found this post helpful.

Oh gosh, he sure is cute! I love his markings. Who cares if he was going to slaughter or not - someone took him from a bad situation where he was unwanted and now he has a wonderful new home!

thanks everyone! I feel the same way. We go to visit him this morning, bring him treats and brush him, then i'll take some photos. it sure is cold at 23 degrees right now( 7:36 am) but hoping it warms up when we arrive around 10. And hubby will name him once he meets him. has a few names in mind..

Took the words out of my mouth
    "No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle" - Winston Churchill

Check out Central Virginia Horse Rescue

He is adorable. Who cares where he came from. A horse is a horse is a horse and he deserves a wonderful home. Much luck to you! Please keep posting pictures of him...he is such a cutie!

got to see him today. What a nice layover barn. CLean and very well set up. we named him Piper-like the aircraft, just hope hubby does not go flying! He let us handle his feet( yes they look very bad-are flared and has small cracks. But i think one or two trims and he'll be in great shape.) let hubby handle his ears, etc..

http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...ps2def466c.jpg
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...ps3cd39eb1.jpg
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...pse90ea1b8.jpg
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...ps230e4b56.jpg
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...psa0306183.jpg
    http://i6.photobucket.com/albums/y24...psaca0537d.jpg

Over where it's HI in the middle and round on both ends.

Default Bless You!

I've been checking out horses on ac4h website the last few weeks, while the snow flies here. I am glad a cother got him. If we all had time to go to the auction we could save horses ourselves. Personally, I am glad ac4h has a good relationship with the kb and some horses get saved. Sure you pay the kb and ac4h but the alternative is go to the sales yourself which most of us can't do. God Bless You.
    I wish someone would take the cute pony mare that is sponsored and needs a good home. I have 11 so I am full.
    My mom didn't raise no jellybean salesman!

thank you. I did not even know about this program and this horse a week ago. Found out about him sunday, and just fell in love. Husband was not in the market for a horse, but he likes him too. it is difficult to see all the horses who need homes, so i probably won't view the site often, but i am glad we got this guy. just can't wait to bring him home.

Oh we named him Piper- like the aircraft. Just hoping Hubby doesn't go Flying!