The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Help with choosing puppy food - possible allergies

I have an approx 4-5mo old Boston Terrier puppy who came to me on Dec 8th as a rescue pup. I don't know her full story but she spent a couple of months at a shelter with her sibling when someone turned them in at about 8weeks old. She came to me with really dry flaky skin and was really itchy. She has been on Wellness puppy formula (mostly chicken) since I got her and I've also been giving her salmon oil for the last 3 weeks or so. Her dry skin is much improved and the shine in her coat is back but she's still really itchy. She has even scratched a patch of hair off her belly I have her on flea meds and I haven't seen any fleas.

So I want to try her on a different protein for a while to be sure this isnt a chicken allergy. My problem is that I'm finding it difficult to find high quality puppy formulas that DON'T have chicken in them. I've found quite a few "all life stages" formulas but are they a good choice for a puppy? They were all lower in protein and fat when I checked against the Wellness I'm feeding now. I imagine the mineral content would be different too. Any suggestions??
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!

You don't need a puppy formula. I almost never feed my puppies a puppy formula. Look for something that's over 28% protein and less than 1.8% calcium and you should be fine.

1 members found this post helpful.

Thanks Simkie!
    "Farming looks mighty easy when your plow is a pencil, and you're a thousand miles from the corn field." --Dwight D Eisenhower

Boston Terrier Rescue of NC - www.btrnc.org - Adopt for Life!