The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by wendy View Post
    um, actually, owners who care about their dogs don't neuter them until they are at least fully grown, which at one year of age for a large dog is way too young. And if the dog is a performance dog or show dog or hunting dog the owners may be planning to not ever neuter the dog and will be quite upset if you sneak him away and neuter him- you could be prosecuted for damaging their valuable property.

?
    An owner who cares about their dog doesn't let them roam. And being neutered a little young is much safer and better for dogs than being loose, risking getting hit by a car, poisoned, getting in fights, or siring more litters that will end up euthed.

4 members found this post helpful.

Jetsmom-I moved into a new suburb that used to be farmland. Tons of new homeowners or renters out here let their dogs run, then find out very quickly that it's a stupid thing to do. The dogs either stop being let out, or disappear (hopefully not get squashed), and I hope are now in a fenced yard. It amazes me how many people think moving to the countryside, even a developing, growing suburb like mine means animals can run at will.
    You can't fix stupid-Ron White

had my own moment this afternoon....

The neighbor's dog was essentially under my living room window, barking at my cat in the front yard.
    bad thing: my growly 'GET' left little impression, and while the dog did not think it was a good idea, she didn't scramble as directed either, but turned toward me, about 10-15 feet out of reach, barking, with the fur standing up, looking like a razor back!

We have a long standing history with them, nothing good.
    He came out 'She won't bite, we are trying to train her'
    "I know she won't I told him, not saying that I would drop kick the scrawny mutt if it did.

I am not making too many waves, as 2 of my cats go out (but they do have a job: keeping the squirrels honest).
    But I do not appreciate being barked at in my front yard.

I then left him to chase down his mutt. But basically we would not be sad if both got hit by a truck....
    I know, I am not a nice person.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

Quote Originally Posted by jetsmom View Post
    An owner who cares about their dog doesn't let them roam. And being neutered a little young is much safer and better for dogs than being loose, risking getting hit by a car, poisoned, getting in fights, or siring more litters that will end up euthed.
    I absolutely agree that dogs shouldn't be running around loose. I have a male that is as yet unneutered while he grows up a little bit. He will be neutered eventually. He is not allowed to roam around the neighborhood.
    It isn't necessarily neutering OR letting the dog run around loose all of the time, though. My own neighbors have an electric fence and a puppy who is neutered. There is something wrong with the training that they have done or the system that they are using, because it is *not* working for their puppy - and he could end up in serious trouble and soon. I have taken him back home several times now and they seem totally unconcerned. Just neutering a dog doesn't necessarily keep him on your property.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Casey09 View Post
    Just neutering a dog doesn't necessarily keep him on your property.
    I agree with this 100%. However, it does keep him from siring more little unwanted mongrel puppies to starve, freeze to death, get run over, eaten by predators or used as bait dogs if/when he does get out.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Alagirl, my daughter and her boyfriend bought one of those ultrasonic anti-bark bird houses . She says it works like a charm. You might want to try one.
    "We can judge the heart of a man by his treatment of animals." ~Immanuel Kant

I don't encourage any other dog to stay on my property, for whatever reason he's there. I don't play fetch with them or hang out with them or let them sit on the porch. They can go be a dog somewhere else, not on my place.

Quote Originally Posted by LauraKY View Post
    Alagirl, my daughter and her boyfriend bought one of those ultrasonic anti-bark bird houses . She says it works like a charm. You might want to try one.
    how is the ballistic on these?
    (normally the dog is less problem than the owner...but the body language certainly did not jive with the owner's claims)
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

How about this? Buy one of those cheap doggie poop bag holders. Type a little note on your laptop and print it. Put it inside the poop bag. When the dog gets home, his owners will notice something hanging on his collar and open it, and then read the message. They won't know who wrote the message, so your identity will be private.

In the note, you could write something like this: Today's date: Your dog was out wandering today. He seems like a lovely dog, and I am concerned for his safety. I don't believe you want any harm to come to your him -- get hit by a car or worse. Can you please keep him contained so that he will remain safe and live a nice long life?

Take a picture of the dog so that you have a record of him on your property. Make sure the note is dated, and send him on his way.

If you don't see an improvement within a certain period of time, do it again with a different color poop bag container and a stronger note. Document your records with another new photo with a date stamp.

Hopefully your neighbor will get the point immediately and make improvements so that her dog doesn't come to any harm. If not, continue to document things with photos so that you have proof when you call Animal Control. Hopefully it won't get to that.

It's always amazing to me how many of my neighbors claim their dogs are never off their property. I take pictures now, and make sure the pictures have a date stamp when I take them. I haven't been able to grab any of my neighbor's dogs -- they are not that friendly -- so I just put the photos in their mailbox with a note. Things have been getting better. Unfortunately, I have three neighbors who all let their dogs run -- Neighbor #1 has a Rott, a lab and a hound dog; Neighbor #2 has a Rott and a GSD, and Neighbor #2 has a very old Shepherd mix and a new young lab/hunting dog mix.

Quote Originally Posted by Jaegermonster View Post
    I agree with this 100%. However, it does keep him from siring more little unwanted mongrel puppies to starve, freeze to death, get run over, eaten by predators or used as bait dogs if/when he does get out.
    Absolutely. It is certainly possible to have an unneutered dog that is not out siring unwanted puppies. In fact, it isn't all that difficult. However, unaltered animals have to be tightly controlled so they don't become part of the problem.
    I was just pointing out that it isn't necessarily true that altering a male dog will keep him safe on your own property. When my dog is neutered in a few months, nothing else in his management will change. While neutering might make him less likely to roam in certain situations, I wouldn't trust it to keep him home without proper containment and supervision.

Just a little additional info since I'm now at a real computer and not trying to type on the phone. I live in a very rural area. There are 4 families on our 5 mile long, dead end road. There's my daughter and I, the meth cooking neighbors (rumored to be in foreclosure), Bud's owner, and my dad and brother at the end of the road. The surrounding land is all cropland, pasture/hay, or hunting land. There is no leash law or animal control. Everybody's dogs pretty much are loose. My 5 outside dogs aren't fenced in but they don't roam. They might make the occasional short foray into the pasture behind my house or across the road but they don't stay away long. On the rare occasion that I am away overnight, they might go hang out at my dad's but that's it. They don't go to the neighbors' houses. Meth cooking neighbors used to have a bunch of pit bulls that they kept penned but I think they are gone because I haven't heard them barking lately. Meth cooking neighbors also had a lab and a little mutt type dog but I haven't seen them lately either. I try to avoid meth cooking neighbors.

Bud belongs to the cajun neighbors. Cajun neighbors' family have owned this property for about 40+ years. We jokingly call it the "Cajun Compound". Current owner and Bud's owner is a nice guy and has helped me out on numerous occasions. But he has a red necked attitude toward dog ownership. Bud was being kept on a chain at his house. I feel like Cajun neighbor felt that Bud was acclimated enough to the neighborhood that he would stay home or Bud broke his chain when Cajun neighbor went out of town. Anyway, I know they came back Sunday night and when I went to feed my outside dogs after Downton Abbey, Bud was gone and he hasn't been back.

I tried running him off and was successful the first time. After that when I yelled at him to go home, he just cringed and gave me a pitiful look. I'm a sucker for dogs, so yeah, I threw him a stick and scratched his ears. I know I shouldn't have. My dogs and he pretty much worked out their differences so when it was time to feed my guys, I fed him too. It was easier plus I was worried that he didn't have anything to eat since his owner was gone.

Just so y'all know, I had no real plans about stealing him or having him neutered without his owner's permission. I barely have enough to feed my own dogs and see to their vet needs so I'm not going to take on somebody else's. Bud isn't some valuable show or hunting dog. By the way he moves I suspect he's dysplastic. But, as I said, his owner is a red neck and would be aghasted at the idea of removing his dog's manhood. But don't worry about him siring a bunch of little mixed Buds. I have all the girls in the neighborhood and they've all been spayed. I don't think there is an intact female for miles.