The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default New tall boot help.

I am looking to get new tall boots mainly for show but to school in to. I have many different ones I like, and I have questions on each of them, so if any of you guys have any of these boots, please leave a comment! I am also 5'1 - 110lbs...so I am very short.

http://www.doversaddlery.com/mh-supr...ld/p/X1-38236/
    Mountain horse supreme boots:
    My questions on these boots are will they fit me? How much do they sink? Is the leather soft as it looks, and what boot would the leather compare to, for example monocos? Overall a good boot?

http://www.doversaddlery.com/ariat®-...3f/p/X1-38965/
    Ariat quantum crowns boots:
    My questions on these boots are would they be accepted in the a circuit? Is the leather soft like monocos?

http://www.smartpakequine.com/deniro...x?cm_vc=Search
    Senior leach boots:
    My questions for see boots are is the leather soft like monocos? How much does the leather drop?nwould the zip side twist zipper be acceptable in the a circuit? How are these boots overall?

If you are looking for a soft leather similar to the Monaco -- I would try these Deniro boots
    http://www.smartpakequine.com/deniro...x?cm_vc=Search

The Ariat Quantum Crowns are absolutely acceptable on the circuit -- they are not as soft as the Monaco

The Mountain Horse Supreme are fabulous -- soft as the Monaco and if they fit a fabulous quality for the price - and beautiful

Have you heard great reviews on those deniros? Would they be acceptable on the a circuit?

All three are nice, though I would stay away from the Senior leach boots as you may run into an issue with a traditional judge docking you for the twisting zipper.

Also, personally, I have not had much luck with Ariat boots. These are what I wear and they are inexpensive enough that I have one for showing and one for everyday riding:

http://www.smartpakequine.com/tredst...TopPick-_-9485
    ~ In the chaos of the showing, remember riding should be fun for all, including our 4-legged kids.

Have you looked at Dovers Middleburg boot? They are very soft leather, wear like iron, and come in a wide range of sizes (I'm REALLY hard to fit in an off the rack boot, freakishly long calves)

There are so many variables when fitting tall boots. I fit people of all shapes and sizes every day in my shop. What is your shoe size? What are the measurements of the largest part of your calf? Finally, what is your height measurement. Remember to allow for drop? The smaller the foot, the shorter the off the shelf boot. It may not be as difficult as you think to fit you. You just want to make sure they fit properly....meaning they fit bit tighter to start and are just slightly above your knee. Once they drop and break in, they will be perfect. I promise! Take a look at the Tredstep Donatello or Davinci. Fabulous boot. Good luck!

I second the middleburgs. I'm one show season and one hunt season into them and they still clean-up gorgeous and people think they are custom. I too am hard to fit because I am short, but I also have big calves. They were perfect for me. At first I thought they were too tall, but they broke down and are perfect now.

The Mountain Horse Supremes are fantastic. Nicer than the Deniros, IMO, and a steal at the price. Mine have dropped more than I like, but that's after 3+ years of hard wear. Virtually no break in, incredibly comfortable, and fit like a glove. Do a search here—I don't think anyone has anything bad to say about them!

If you are looking into the Monacos- they are really nice but don't last long if you school in them often.

I love my Dublins. I've had one pair for 3 years now and I do everything in them. Trails. Endurance rides. Foxhunting. I'm not nice to them, but they clean up nicely and still look new.