The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Neck Rugs with different brand blanket?

Anyone have experience with neck rugs to work well with a different brand of blanket? I have a Smartpak Thinsulate medium weight, but I want to add a neck cover for rainy days. The Thinsulate doesn't have one, so any suggestions?

Try to get a good photo of both the blanket and the hood you're hoping to use. Most blankets and hoods have little metal D-rings with clips to fasten hood and blanket together. The same brand will have matching d-rings (usually the hood comes with rings AND clips) so you can connect them easily. All you really need are rings that come close to matching--it doesn't have to be identical. You can even use a hood with no rings to connect to the blanket, but of course it's more likely to move or even get pulled off this way.
    Click here before you buy.

They all connect differently. What sort of connection does the blanket require? My Rambo hoods all attach with velcro.

Yes, I'd forgotten some hoods attach with velcro, sorry! My mix-and-match lot seem to all have rings and even if they don't align perfectly it usually works out that at least one or two rings line up between hood and blanket.
    Click here before you buy.

Don't even think about trying it. Even with the velcro patches, some of one brand of neck rug will not reach the velcro on a different brand of blanket. btdt. And to further complicate things, some blankets and neck rugs within the same brand, but a different "style" won't match up. btdt. And these were big name brands. Buy the neck rug that goes with the brand and style of blanket. I've had to give away neck rugs that were on sale at smartpak and dover, because they weren't the same style of the blankets even though they were the same brand. And they did not reach or did not stay fastened because of various differences.

Take the neck rug AND the blanket to your local blanket repair person. It's not difficult to marry the two items together, with a little bit of ingenuity and common sense
    Cindy

1 members found this post helpful.