The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Flat tire on the truck while hauling?

Hey Kids-I am stewing about my 18 hour drive to Aiken, which is coming up in less than 2 weeks. Today I thought of yet one more thing to add to the stewing list. If I get a flat on my trailer, I am quite happy and quite skilled changing it. It is a pain but not anxiety-provoking. First, with a trailer flat, we can still drive to a safe place without doing too much damage. Reflectors out, wrench out, spare off, roll her up on the Trailer-Aid, switch tires and off we go. Now, what to do when the TRUCK gets a flat? (provided there is no crash) First, no driving to a safe place-do it here, do it now. Second, what do we do with the gooseneck? You can't unhitch a fully loaded 2-horse gooseneck, can you? I've never heard of such a thing. But can you jack up a truck with said trailer attached? Aaak. What do YOU do?? Help me sleep, tell me quick.
    Proud and achy member of the Eventing Grannies clique.

if you have a good jack, you should be able to jack the truck up enough to change the tire without any problems. Heck, I know we jacked our gooseneck up once with a horse in it on the side of the highway.

Quote Originally Posted by Hawks Nest View Post
    if you have a good jack, you should be able to jack the truck up enough to change the tire without any problems. Heck, I know we jacked our gooseneck up once with a horse in it on the side of the highway.
    This is what I did.....operative word is a good jack with enough height to lift the truck....also....before you depart, make sure your "Trailer-Aid" will lift the trailer high enough to be able to get the wheel completely off the ground.....don't ask me how I know.
    Do not confuse motion and progress. A rocking horse keeps moving but does not make any progress.
    Alfred A. Montapert

Yup, just jack it.

I bought a 2 ton floor jack from harbor freight. I have three actually one for all my trucks. They were $80 and worth every penny. They make changing tires with and without a trailer a breeze.

I have lifted my dually with a 6h trailer fully loaded with the jack and the trailer jack down. If I had to do it again, I would buy a second for that trailer as it was a tad bit iffy. 4H and below though you should be good with one floor jack and your trailer jack if needed.
    I am on my phone 90% of the time. Please ignore typos, misplaced lower case letters, and the random word butchered by autocowreck.