The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I have been giving my 21 year old TB/WB mare 1/4 of a 227 mg Previcoxx tablet every day for the past 6 months. It has helped tremendously with her arthritis (I had thought I was going to have to put her down before we started her on this). I solved the problem of getting her to eat the "liver flavored" dog pill by cutting a wedge of apple, scooping out a small hole and inserting the pill. My mare gobbles it right down with no hesitation. Easy-peasy!

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by Pippigirl View Post
    I'm assuming she's talking about the 57mg pills. I have a bottle of Previcox for my beastie and it's the 57mg chewable tablet.
    Yes that's the one... sorry I wasn't specific. Thanks

And my horse that gets 1 1/2 chew tabs a day is 18 hands and 2000 lbs.
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

http://www.usef.org/documents/compet...Guidelines.pdf

found this on another thread about if it's legal to compete...

Firocoxib (Equioxx and Previcox) is legal at a max dosage of 45.5g/1000lb administered >12 hours prior to competition.
    Train like you have never won and show like you have never lost!!!

Quote Originally Posted by doublesstable View Post
    http://www.usef.org/documents/compet...Guidelines.pdf

found this on another thread about if it's legal to compete...

Firocoxib (Equioxx and Previcox) is legal at a max dosage of 45.5g/1000lb administered >12 hours prior to competition.
    Keep in mind that studies in equines have only been done with the Equioxx preparation, and not with Previcox. While firocoxib in Previcox form SHOULD clear just like firocoxib in Equioxx form, there's a chance that it won't.

Were I using firocoxib to show on, I would absolutely use Equioxx, just to make sure I was strictly within the letter of the law of the medication rules.

I have seen a lot of those type of horses (just trying to stay pasture sound/maintain) do well on Previcoxx but I have to admit none of them had precisely the issues your mare has.
    ~Veronica
    "The Son Dee Times" "Sustained" "Somerset" "Franklin Square"
    http://photobucket.com/albums/y192/vxf111/

thanks everyone!
    good to hear all the positive stories.
    our clinic visit is the first week of february. we'll see what the vet thinks will work best on her condition.
    http://www.eponashoe.com/
    TQ(Trail Queen) \"Learn How to Ride or Move Over!!\" Clique

Quote Originally Posted by goodhors View Post
    She was never nasty about dropping the pill, but I learned I had to SEE that she swallowed it. I could find that tiny bit of dropped pill in the aisle, not in stall bedding. I put it way back on her tongue, gave her some carrot, while standing in the aisle. Then a second and third bit of carrot to eat to keep her swallowing. I figured if she hadn't dropped the pill part by then she had eaten it. She DID sort the pill out of her wet beet pulp and not eat it.
    Haha I have a Christopher Columbus too, he can not only separate a tiny Previcoxx out of his wet beet pulp but everything else it's mixed with too!

Here's what worked for him (i.e., me)... stick the pull firmly into a Stud Muffin. My boy is so wild about Stud Muffins, I could probably put bute into it and he'd eat the Muffin. Try it.
    "I have never let my schooling interfere with my education." - Mark Twain

just a quick update - we were given previcox and told to try it for a week. if it works great, if it doesn't then we'll have to try and manage with bute. bute, of course, works v. well, but our lameness vet is worried about the impact long term use would have on my mare's kidneys.

i'm keeping fingers crossed that previcox does the job.

Keep in mind that firocoxib is not quite like bute in that it doesn't work immediately. It must build up which is why some vets recommend a loading dose. Good luck, I hope it helps your mare!
    "There is no secret so close as that between a rider and his horse." - Robert Smith Surtees

I read recently that the Foxden Equine folks have a new supplement called Ligand3 that is intended for helping with ligament issues. I am not affiliated with/have no financial interest in the company, just happen to be very impressed with their products. (I had a heck of a time finding it . I could not find it on their website. Their new web design sucks, big time! But I did find a link to it on another website.) http://gettyequinenutrition.biz/Products/ligand3.htm
    Jeanie
    RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Quote Originally Posted by marta View Post
    good point. i could use it for my own back pain...
    I do. I got a big bottle of it from my orthopaedist. Works great.
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

I have no other suggestions to pain medications than those listed above offered by the wealth of knowledge on this board.

I had a gelding with chronic ligament pain. I used low-intensity ultrasound and this really helped his pain and made his life far more comfortable to the point where he needed only small doses medication help on certain days if he did too much self-exercising the day prior. Therapy ultrasound is even lower intensity than shock wave, the whole purpose of both is to help improve blood flow to the area. The problem with ligaments is they have little blood flow.

In injuries, medical practitioners will always say - areas with high blood flow heal fast and any scar tissue is readily remodelled and (bulk) reduced over time - bones, muscles, skin. Areas with low blood flow heal very slow and have an extremely high propensity for excessive accumulation of scar tissue that does not remodel and reduce in bulk over time - ligaments and tendons. Low-intensity ultrasound will help all areas improve with blood flow and pain control, but are especially helpful for even ligaments and tendons which are never the same after damage.

You could also put your horse on 3000 mg of human-grade Omega-3. The theory equine scientists are currently working on is the effects are fairly similar in to that of people - antiinflammatory properties, ulcer prevention in conjunction with NSAID use, and greater vascular perfusion body-wide. Horses don't need huge doses as they metabolize these things different than humans. 3000 mg is a human dose, but is plenty o' plenty for a horse. It takes at least a month before you start to see any effect whatsoever. I am using this dosage for a horse and she's been on it now for a while. It was about a month before I noticed improved comfort. She's a very big girl, so I'm considering raising her dosage to 1 more capsule to 4000 mg. I use the human grade purified (from heavy metals) fish Omega-3 and melt in a small amount of hot water (do not microwave these - you destroy the properties!) and pouring over her feed. She eats it despite the fishy smell.

You could also rub on Absorbine JUNIOR - the people version - it has lower intensity than the senior. Some horses get burnt with senior.

These above measures would be in addition to whatever medications you decide to try. Sometimes these above measures can help you reduce the dosage of medication.
    https://www.facebook.com/MariposaSportHorses

Practice! Patience! Persistence!

Rodawn

Thanks for the suggestion regarding the omega 3's. I will look into that. At the moment we are trying to get her to eat her tendon/ligament supplement from the Xie Institute (she used to eat it, then she was off it for a while and now she's refusing to eat it). Once she's on that, I will try and add some omega 3's, too.

EventingVOL

We did the loading dose of Previxoc on day 1 (3 pills). So far she does not look any worse off. Still watching her carefully. I would REALLY like this to work. I worry about her daily so if I could at least not worry about the damage the pain killers are doing to her kidneys, it'd be nice

I have my old (24) retired guy on Equioxx 2x week. He has an old suspensory injury that occasionally acts up, in addition to general arthritis. When the injury flares he needs to be on more aggressive pain management, but for general aches and pains Equiox has been a life saver (literally, I thought I was going to have to put him down) We started out giving it every day, and then slowly cut back over a period of about 3 months to twice a week. The only problem is he feel so much better that he now thinks he can gallop around again and ends up hurting himself! Twice a week seems to do the trick for him, I don't notice any change on his non med days, but if we go past twice a week there is a noticeable difference in his comfort level.

Previcox!!!
    www.svhanoverians.com

"Simple: Breeding,Training, Riding". Wolfram Wittig.