The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What does this sound like? Truck problems...

DH and I were planning to go a few hours away on Sunday to pick up about 120 bales of hay. Well, yesterday while driving, I hit an itty bitty pothole and if felt like my pass. side front tire was falling off! Then today, I was coming over a bridge, no potholes, and the whold truck shook violently for about 10 seconds, then stopped. It really felt like the tire was wobbling really badly! I know that sounds stupid! So I dropped it off to be looked at, now I am thinking that it may be a bad tie rod. Any other theories as I wait for the phone to ring? It's a 2007 RAM 2500 HD Diesel.

Could be your shocks. Have you ever had them changed? Could also be the front end suspension system going out. Had that happen in my old truck.
    The plural of anecdote is not data.

Could be the tie rod, or you may have knocked your front end out of alignment.
    "I enjoy this motorcade and will recommend it to my niece."

Sounds like a tie rod ready to go. You don't want that to fail while driving because you loose your steering. Very scary, get it checked ASAP! Don't ask me how I know....

Maybe a U joint on that side? I remember my mom's old station wagon doing something similar after probably a pot hole or two...was a U joint....wasn't really $$$ but anything was for us at that time.

I don't even know if trucks have em anymore....might've been in the back....could be a ball joint I'm thinking of. I had a car that had to have a sleeve of some sort in the front area of the wheel replaced that was causing vibration in there....can't recall that one...
    "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Google 'Dodge Death Wobble' and see if it matches what happened. For example...
    http://blog.dieselpowerproducts.com/...d-death-wobble

Yours seems different as it stopped on its own -- usually they say you have to slow down and stop before it quits.
    --
    Wendy
    ... and Patrick

There is a recall on some 2009 and newer trucks where the rear axle can become disconnected. My brother had it happen on his 2010 Ram. It is very dangerous. Google "Dodge ram recalls" or Dodge ram rear axle problems"

Probably a bad drag link (can cause the "death wobble")..

Bad u-joint, ball-joint, or tie rod. Any of the three will be no big deal to fix and not that expensive. Death wobble is a whole different feeling than what you've described.

Tie rod end. And get it fixed now -- when those go, that tire is no longer connected to your steering wheel. I should have taken a picture of my poor crosseyed truck with the front wheels pointing in opposite directions. Thank cod I wasn't towing.

2 members found this post helpful.